41698457001_5467482946001_5467467729001-

CLOSE

icon_close.png

Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn at AMBUSH alumni event in Lake Martin. Matthew Stevens

AUBURN — Auburn head coach Gus Malzahn made it clear he wants his starting offensive line figured out early in preseason camp starting at the end of next month.

Malzahn, and more importantly offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey along offensive line coach Herb Hand, did a lot of mixing and matching with the returning personnel during the spring practices. However, at an alumni function at Lake Martin earlier this month, Malzahn said Auburn will have at least three new, unique pieces to play with starting this summer.

“We brought the two fifth-year guys in for depth. They’ll be competing for playing time so it’ll be some good competition early,” Malzahn said June 8.

More:Ring the Bell: Auburn coaches hoping Florida State grad transfer OL solves issue at LG

And so despite questions still being answered as Auburn tries to find replacement for departing seniors Alex Kozan and Robert Leff while also trying to find the right positions for returning veterans Braden Smith and Prattville native Austin Golson, Malzahn also isn’t going to be patient with these decisions as the Tigers will likely have a new quarterback with Jarrett Stidham.

“Obviously you want five guys in the same positions sooner rather than later so that will be the big thing early in (preseason) camp,” Malzahn said.

Auburn will immediately work graduate transfers Wilson Bell and Casey Dunn into interior positions on the first-string offensive line to see if they can earn starting spots.

“You can tell they’re mature guys. You can tell they’ve played a lot of football,” Malzahn said. “They’re just veteran guys. That’s the reason we brought them in."

It is anticipated Bell, a Mobile native coming from Florida State, will be given every opportunity to win the left guard job. Dunn, a two-time Division I-AA All-American at Jacksonville State, will be worked in at center and guard in order to possibly move Golson back to tackle.

“Any time you can get a guy that's got that type of experience and has excelled at it, he's going to be a nice addition,” Hand said about Dunn’s arrival at Auburn. “He's going to be a good fit with our guys too from a chemistry standpoint — his demeanor, his approach, his whole deal. I'm excited about getting him here.”

Golson was one of 63 college centers named to the 2017 Rimington Trophy preseason watch list Monday, one of eight SEC centers on the list. The 6-foot-5, 312-pound senior has started 24 games for Auburn since transferring from Ole Miss.

If Golson stays at center, the left tackle question could get answered with a one of the nation’s most talented incoming freshmen.

“Every snap I take I feel like I’m going to put our O-line in a good situation and I’m going to be able to execute my assignment,” Golson said this spring. “I think it’s good that the guys around me trust me. Hopefully we can keep gaining that trust and keep getting better with that.”

More:Auburn’s offensive line shuffle will continue into fall camp

At the Lake Martin "Ambush Tour" stop, Malzahn stressed that five-star offensive lineman Calvin Ashley will be able to possibly earn a starting role.

The Tigers' fifth-year head coach has repeatedly mentioned that he remembers the Tigers only got two starting seasons out of Greg Robinson before he was the No. 2 overall pick in the 2014 NFL draft. Malzahn said he’s already getting “good reports” out of Ashley. The cornerstone of Auburn’s 2017 recruiting class has enrolled in summer classes and been involved in summer workouts with the strength and conditioning staff.

Braden Smith was the last true freshman offensive lineman to start a game when he opened the 2014 Outback Bowl, but Lee Ziemba was the first true freshman offensive lineman to open a season as a starter, in 2007.

“When we recruited (Ashley), we talked about (early playing time),” Malzahn said. “He’ll have his opportunity to show what he can do early in (preseason) camp. I know he’s got that mindset that he wants to play right away so that’s always good for a young lineman too.”