Nova won't fly this season

abw0004

Per al.com:

Nova, Auburn's beloved golden eagle, will not fly during pre-game events this upcoming football season due to a cardiomyopathy diagnosis, Auburn University announced today. Spirit, a bald eagle, will assume pre-game flight duties instead.

Nova, also known as War Eagle VII, was recently diagnosed with a chronic heart disease by Auburn University College of Veterinary Medicine faculty after a routine checkup revealed the 18-year-old eagle had an abnormal heart rhythm.

Veterinary faculty, in consultation with the Cardiology Service in the Wilford and Kate Bailey Small Animal Teaching Hospit performed a CT angiography on Nova. The CT angiogram showed areas of significant constriction of his right brachiocephalic trunk, one of the large blood vessels near Nova's heart, as the cause of cardiomyopathy and arrhythmia, an irregular or abnormal heartbeat.

"These areas of constriction can increase the systolic pressure of the heart so that Nova's heart has to pump harder to move blood around his body," said Oster. "This type of problem could have multiple causes, the most common of which in birds is atherosclerosis."

Because of the risk of severe medical complications, veterinary medical staff decided that Nova should not be placed in situations that cause his heart to work harder than usual. Instead, the beloved eagle will rest comfortably in his enclosure at the raptor center and attend educational functions.

"Vessels that are constricted, like those that are seen in Nova's scan, can have dangerous complications when put under increased stress from exercise," said Dr. Seung-Woo Jung, an assistant professor of cardiology in the Department of Clinical Sciences at the College of Veterinary Medicine. "This includes aneurysm or clot formation that could lead to vascular rupture, stroke, aortic thromboembolism or heart attack."

Nova has been started on a combination of medications to prevent his condition from worsening. He is being monitored by raptor center staff and will receive examinations by Cardiology Service veterinarians.

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

2 things. 

Nova is in good hands (as good as anywhere in the world)

I like Spirit, the Bald Eagle.  I'm looking forward to seeing him fly this fall!

I'm pretty sure Spirit is female and Nova is male.

That sucks . I've had that same diagnosis since I age 21. Good idea to monitor the safety of the eagle.

• WarTiger changed the title to Nova won't fly this season
2 hours ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

When did Spirit get his license back?  Figured after hitting the glass against Mississippi State that his stadium flying days were over as well.

I was thinking this. And that hitting glass is better than stroking out and dying on the field during pregame flight. Imagine the reaction to that happening.

32 minutes ago, alexava said:

Do we have any more depth if Spirit goes down?  

I believe A4E is searching the JUCO teams as we speak for an adequate back up

43 minutes ago, alexava said:

Do we have any more depth if Spirit goes down?  

I have always wondered this as well. What's our depth chart look like if both our starters go down? Do we just start throwing stuffed birds onto the field from the megatron? 

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

I have always wondered this as well. What's our depth chart look like if both our starters go down? Do we just start throwing stuffed birds onto the field from the megatron? 

Drones ?

5 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

If it comes down to it, I can zip line in.

Just now, augolf1716 said:

I will set that zip line up...................trust me

I retract my previous offer

3 minutes ago, tigerbrotha12 said:

Tryouts for Nova replacement next Thursday: please provide your own jet pack/Wil-E Coyote flying suits 

will be shipped by Acme Flying suits

How the hell did Gus allow us to be so shallow at the Eagle spot? We don't even have a viable backup now what the hecks is he doing? Poor evaluation. 

I love watching them both.  Nova and Spirit have very different flights during pregame.

Nova typically has a short flight because when he sees the bait, he dives towards it from a relatively high altitude and attacks it.  

Spirit on the other hand will soar around the stadium for a longer period of time.  When she heads toward the bait, she swoops in closer to the ground. 

Greatest pregame on earth. 

Y'all are cracking me up.  I've got an image in my head of BigBird zipping in from the top of the Jumbotron.  Could be entertaining. Poor Nova. Wonder if he'll like retirement.  And I wonder if that's why we had all those drone ball deliveries last season.  It was cool the first time, but after that...it just doesn't get your heart pumping like the eagle flight. 

@3rdgeneration, The back story is that Nova was feeling stressed by the drone ball deliveries and Spirit picked up on this. After several discussions and pre-game flight planning Spirit has decided the drone reminded her of the Whirlybird offense and is going to destroy the drone. Here is a leaked photo from training exercises. 

nat-19.jpg

14 hours ago, bigbird said:

I believe A4E is searching the JUCO teams as we speak for an adequate back up

Can't you just picture that. A JUCO eagle with offers from Auburn, Boston College and Southern Miss. There's a press conference covering the commitment. After much thought and careful consideration the eagle declares that he is taking it's talons to Auburn University. 

15 hours ago, bigbird said:

If it comes down to it, I can zip line in.

Flightless, Bird?

Archived