Darius Slayton Positioned For Breakout Season

aufan57

Bryan Matthews | Senior Editor

AUBURN | Kodi Burns is not ready to make any firm declarations but Darius Slayton looked a lot like Auburn’s No. 1 receiver coming out of spring practice.

The third-year sophomore returned from hernia surgery to shine the final two weeks of drills including three receptions for 65 yards in the A-Day game. He showed off his big-play potential with a a 46-yard catch to set up an early touchdown.

“Man, it was awesome to have Darius back after being out,” said Burns, Auburn’s second-year receivers coach. “He’s a guy that can really run. He can flat-out run. He’s probably the fastest receiver we have outside of John (Franklin III). He’s just a guy that has grown up tremendously.

N541kjytu5xavfvr9nec
Slayton showed off his big-play potential with this 46-yard catch in the A-Day game.
Robin Conn/AuburnSports.com

“When I first got here, he’s a guy that really struggled as far as ball skills and all those different things, and route-running, but he’s really grown up and developed. That’s one of those guys that I’ve been talking about, that it just takes some time for these young freshmen to come in and develop and understand what it takes. He’s one of those guys that has come a long way. I think we threw it to him—I wanna say—11 or 12 times last year and he caught every single pass, in big situations a lot of them as well. He’s a guy that I’m excited to have back, and he looked real good in the spring, and he’s only going to continue to get better.”

If anyone on the team challenges Slayton it will likely be sophomore Nate Craig-Myers, who was the leading receiver in the spring game with five catches for 154 yards.

Last season, Slayton was sixth on the team with 15 catches for 292 yards and one touchdown while Craig-Myers was 10th with four catches for 70 yards and one touchdown.

“I think Darius and Nate, as well as really a lot of receivers, took some steps forward,” Burns said. “You kind of see that progression as far as Year 1 to Year 2, as far as those guys getting a little more comfortable, a little more confident growing up, being in the weight room a year now and understanding how we practice and what the expectations are. So, I think as a whole we got better and we developed.

“Obviously, in the spring game, there’s a lot of things in the spring game you can take away from that but outside of the spring game—I’m talking every single day in practice, where you can see development and hitting and progressions and drills and all those different things the outside world doesn’t see, I think we got better.”

I think you can say that about a lot of WRs this year. I am excited to see their potential finally unlocked!!! WOOOOO!!!

Most exciting things about Slayton are his hands. He catches the balls he should - the ones that hit his hands. Seems like lately our most gifted athletes at receiver had a propensity to drop routine catches. Time to get beyond that.

Slayton had one of our team's most impressive catches of the year vs LSU IMO. He was somewhere in the middle of the field (I think) headed towards the right sideline and SWs pass was behind him but he somehow turned his body without stopping, caught it and turned up field. I was sold on him after seeing that. Incredible concentration.

20 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Slayton had one of our team's most impressive catches of the year vs LSU IMO. He was somewhere in the middle of the field (I think) headed towards the right sideline and SWs pass was behind him but he somehow turned his body without stopping, caught it and turned up field. I was sold on him after seeing that. Incredible concentration.

Slayton is very smooth - looks pretty effortless. Thats a good sign that he will be a good one imo. Looks like a natural

I agree. I think Slayton should have a terrific year. I'm not sure I would trade our wide receiver group for any other schools. It could be a breakout year passing the ball. 

I really expect DS and NCM to be breakout stars this year!!!

KD has a boatload of potential. I hope he stays on the right path and has a great season too!

I think WH and ES both are going to be very good slot/underneath/playmaker type guys. 

Its almost all untapped potential at this point but I can definitely see this group becoming a top tier WR corps in the very near future. 

2 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

I really expect DS and NCM to be breakout stars this year!!!

KD has a boatload of potential. I hope he stays on the right path and has a great season too!

I think WH and ES both are going to be very good slot/underneath/playmaker type guys. 

Its almost all untapped potential at this point but I can definitely see this group becoming a top tier WR corps in the very near future. 

Go back and watch some of Ryan Davis's catch-and-runs, too. He might be our best receiver after the catch. 

The tool chest is stocked.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Go back and watch some of Ryan Davis's catch-and-runs, too. He might be our best receiver after the catch. 

The tool chest is stocked.

Oh yeah!  I forgot one of the Davises. He is good too!

I completely agree!

Just now, AUpreacherman22 said:

Oh yeah!  I forgot one of the Davises. He is good too!

I completely agree!

how could you EVER forget one of the davis davis and davis law firm we are running on the plains?! lol

9 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

lol smh :poke:

I can only offer the truth, it's up to the public to accept it. But I understand kodi's talking, he has to sell himself

Archived