Baylor and Briles

Gowebb11

http://s.al.com/aDlBUdm

Baylor confirms it is under NCAA investigation over sexual assault scandal

FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2015, file photo, Baylor head coach Art Briles watches during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Kansas in Lawrence, Kan. The NCAA is conducting an "ongoing, pending investigation" into Baylor University in the wake of a sexual assault scandal that led to the firing of football coach Art Briles and the departure of the school president, the school's lawyers confirmed in a federal court filing. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)
FILE - In this Oct. 10, 2015, file photo, Baylor head coach Art Briles watches during the second half of an NCAA college football game against Kansas in Lawrence, Kan. The NCAA is conducting an "ongoing, pending investigation" into Baylor University in the wake of a sexual assault scandal that led to the firing of football coach Art Briles and the departure of the school president, the school's lawyers confirmed in a federal court filing. (AP Photo/Charlie Riedel, File)

5shares

The NCAA is conducting an "ongoing, pending investigation" into Baylor University in the wake of a sexual assault scandal that led to the firing of football coach Art Briles and the departure of the school president, the school's lawyers confirmed in a federal court filing.

Baylor officials acknowledged the investigation while asking a judge to protect the school's communications with the NCAA from attorneys for several women who have sued the nation's largest Baptist university.

Baylor contends the school must maintain the confidentiality of the NCAA's investigation process, though the school could turn over some information to plaintiffs' attorneys who make specific requests. Providing all communications with the NCAA, including what documents it had requested and who had been interviewed, could compromise the investigation, Baylor's lawyers argued.

Baylor officials declined further comment Monday. New school President Linda Livingstone took her post on June 1.

ESPN reported in May that the NCAA had conducted interviews with Baylor officials, former employees and alleged victims, but that the school hadn't been given a formal notice of investigation. NCAA officials did not immediately respond to a request for comment from The Associated Press.

Baylor anticipated NCAA action in May 2016 when it announced the findings of an internal investigation into sexual assaults and said that Briles had been fired and President Ken Starr, who later resigned, had been demoted. At the time, Baylor said it had hired outside counsel and contacted the NCAA about possible infractions, but did not elaborate.

Baylor has been engulfed by the scandal for more than a year as more than a dozen women have filed lawsuits alleging the school or mishandled or ignored their rape claims against football players and other students for years. The school is also facing several federal civil rights investigations and a state criminal investigation.

In the same filing that seeks to withhold information about the NCAA investigation, Baylor said it also doesn't want to share with plaintiffs' attorneys any information that could compromise a criminal probe by the McClennan County district attorney and the Texas Rangers, the state's elite criminal investigations unit.

Baylor's investigation, conducted by Philadelphia law firm Pepper Hamilton, found the Bears' football program had operated as if it was "above the rules," and that unidentified members of Briles' staff had improper contact with victims or witnesses and may have interfered with investigations.

The lawsuits allege several gang rapes and a "culture of violence" within the football program. Briles, who is a defendant in one of the lawsuits, has denied he tried to cover up assaults.

In a separate filing, Baylor officials told the federal judge it may compile a spreadsheet for the court of all alleged sexual assaults at Baylor since from 2003 to February 2016 to quantify the history of the problem without compromising private student information.

The whispers say that younger Briles was the first guy we wanted (and had lined up) for OC but the rumors of impending investigation and "optics" made us pass.  Tifwiw

That's probably not new news, but interesting that the Briles fam probably knew months ago that a formal investigation was coming. 

Here we go again.  This is a legal case over which the NCAA has zero authority.  Meanwhile Ole Miss dangles in the wind and bammer does whatever they want with impunity.  Mark Emmert can't retire soon enough.  When will the NCAA member institutions say enough is enough and go another direction?

Key phrase:   "failure to maintain institutional control."...or words to that effect...gives NCAA right to look at whatever they want to look at these days.

Remember that Mark Emmert and Nick Saban are best friends. That's why the NCAA has zero authority to go after Baylor on these charges. The NCAA also crossed the line in the Penn State case. And who can forget what happened when the NCAA got in big trouble for trying to hammer Miami a few years ago. They ended up checking for wrong doing with themlvies. Meanwhile, Ole Miss if left hanging and Bammer does anything they want to without the fear of ever getting hammered.

Well, no. The real takeaway here is that Baylor does not want the criminal discovery process to release information to the plaintiffs (i.e., the women who were raped and then ignored by the coaches and administration). Because, I mean, it's just women, right? The football program, the university and the coaches are more important than the safety and well-being and body-rights of coeds, and always were, which is why all the investigations and court cases exist. Because, ya know, many multi-millions of dollars and those Texas prisons .....

On 6/27/2017 at 8:17 AM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Here we go again.  This is a legal case over which the NCAA has zero authority.  Meanwhile Ole Miss dangles in the wind and bammer does whatever they want with impunity.  Mark Emmert can't retire soon enough.  When will the NCAA member institutions say enough is enough and go another direction?

LSU was in the heavy bidding process for a couple of those OleMiss recruits named in that NOA, and so were many other programs (Michigan/Oklahoma/UF/aTm)....but the NCAA isn't interested in those other team's involvement?  

UNC has been under investigation for years for academic fraud on a massive scale and the NCAA has yet to penalize them?

UL gets pretty hash sanctions from the NCAA including Petino for providing strippers to recruits, all without the knowledge of the Head Coach.

Meanwhile, Harbaugh is allowed to take his entire team on an all expenses paid (+$750,000) international trip; paid for by an anonymous program supporter, and the NCAA doesn't blink an eye?  WTH?

We ALL know that every program including our beloved Auburn pushes the limits and plays in the gray area of recruiting.  It's absolutely necessary in the landscape of today's college sports, with basketball being the worst.  But the arbitrary "enforcement and oversight" of the NCAA is laughable and I don't ever see member institutions breaking away into another direction.  The member institutions ARE the NCAA, they make up the governing body of the organization.

11 hours ago, AURex said:

Well, no. The real takeaway here is that Baylor does not want the criminal discovery process to release information to the plaintiffs (i.e., the women who were raped and then ignored by the coaches and administration). Because, I mean, it's just women, right? The football program, the university and the coaches are more important than the safety and well-being and body-rights of coeds, and always were, which is why all the investigations and court cases exist. Because, ya know, many multi-millions of dollars and those Texas prisons .....

The reality is, this goes WAY beyond Briles and Starr to a lot of people with a lot of money and a lot to lose, who are going to do anything and everything to make sure Briles and Starr are the only casualties. If the extent of what happened comes our, Baylor will be lucky to be able to pick up the pieces and several very powerful people could end up in prison.

2 minutes ago, keesler said:

Meanwhile, Harbaugh is allowed to take his entire team on an all expenses paid (+$750,000) international trip; paid for by an anonymous program supporter, and the NCAA doesn't blink an eye?  WTH?

That one is actually legal within NCAA rules. I questioned it to, so I looked into is and the allow that kind of thing once every 4 years (if my memory serves, which it probably doesn't). 

1 minute ago, lionheartkc said:

That one is actually legal within NCAA rules. I questioned it to, so I looked into is and the allow that kind of thing once every 4 years (if my memory serves, which it probably doesn't). 

Interesting that it's allowed by the NCAA as that is an enormous recruiting tool/advantage IMO.

Just now, keesler said:

Interesting that it's allowed by the NCAA as that is an enormous recruiting tool/advantage IMO.

Yea, but since anyone can technically do it, it's not an advantage (other than the fact that some schools can't afford it, but since when did the NCAA care about them?). The rule is actually taken advantage of, a lot, by basketball teams who play tournaments and such in Europe. In fact, there are apparently companies who's sole purpose is to arrange these types of trips for schools. The only thing now is, any team that does it can't do it as part of Spring camp, since the NCAA banned satellite camps... thanks to Harbaugh.

I still think the younger Briles would have been a great OC/QB coach for us. I hate that these rumors stopped us from hiring him.

On 6/28/2017 at 8:32 AM, lionheartkc said:

The reality is, this goes WAY beyond Briles and Starr to a lot of people with a lot of money and a lot to lose, who are going to do anything and everything to make sure Briles and Starr are the only casualties. If the extent of what happened comes our, Baylor will be lucky to be able to pick up the pieces and several very powerful people could end up in prison.

http://www.wacotrib.com/news/courts_and_trials/in-emails-then-baylor-regent-calls-students-suspected-of-drinking/article_c88a8812-72ef-5301-b35e-8d845e8dbdc6.html

21 hours ago, Texas said:

Looks like they are starting to uncover just how bad it is. The last paragraph really stands out to me considering several things I've read make it seem as if parts of Baylor's legal team is complicit in the cover ups of sexual misconduct. Of course they aren't going to cooperate if it could lead to them being incriminated.

Archived