Leath takes reins

'He's there to listen' Steven Leath takes reins as Auburn president

Posted on June 27, 2017 at 9:49 AM

Steven Leath hit the ground running during his first week as Auburn University's president, meeting with students and staff and touring campus facilities.

Leath's first meeting Monday morning was with student leaders who represented a variety of organizations, including student media, athletics, veterans' affairs and the International Student Organization, among others.

"He started off by saying he's there to listen," Student Government Association President Jacqueline Keck said. "He wants to understand the culture here at Auburn, and he gave each of us the opportunity to talk about the organizations we're involved in."

After talking to student leaders, Leath met with members of the university senate, staff council, administrative and professional assembly and the American Association of University Professors, Brian Keeter, Auburn's director of public affairs, said.

But the new president's day on campus was cut short, as he had to fly to the nation's capital for a conference at the Association of Public and Land Grant Universities on Monday afternoon.

"It's the major higher education association of which Auburn is a member," Keeter said. "The meetings just happened to fall as he is getting started here as president. It made for a very hectic first day."

Keeter added that Leath, who came to Auburn from Iowa State University, intends to meet with all 59 academic departments on campus, as well as every county extension office in the state.

A plant pathologist and plant geneticist by trade, Leath visited with staff in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. The new president spoke with staff about his accomplishments and toured their laboratories, Dr. Kira Bowen, professor of plant pathology, said.

"I've known him since 1983. We met in grad school at the University of Illinois," Bowen said. "I'm tickled he's here. I've respected him for a long time, and I'm truly pleased he's here.

"I think my colleagues feel the same way," she continued. "He won't be coming into our labs and interfering with what we're doing, but he understands what we're doing. He understands our challenges."

Leath has been gathering around the table with the Auburn family during his first week. One day, he had breakfast with students at the Wellness Kitchen, Keeter said. Bowen added he had lunch with plant pathology faculty.

"We also had pizza with him, which I think is kind of cool; just having a casual lunch with the president," Bowen said.

Leath replaced Jay Gogue, who retired as president.

MODS. i am having problems posting on the board. it will let me post one article and then i have to restart my computer to post a new article. i can reply to articles already posted. anyway a poll always comes up on the second article i try to post and the required text area never expands where i can post the info. i am fairly sure if i was held to one article a day surely someone would have told me and i am fairly sure i am in no trouble. so anyway any help would be appreciated.........

40 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Save our Athletic Department and our University.

What's wrong with our athletic department?

6 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

a4e not to be mean to a4e who have known for 8/9 years but your wasting your time 

But our athletics are looking good right now. Am I missing something? 

28 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

But our athletics are looking good right now. Am I missing something? 

I don't think so....and I keep wondering as I read those posts....which coaches should we be getting rid of? and why?  ...and who could we get to replace them? 

Just don't understand this attitude that we should be firing coaches.....without even an apparent clue about what would come next. :-\

26 minutes ago, AU Is Gold said:

Bird, golf wanted you to inform me on the situation

The issue is not so much with the department, but a certain poster's perception of the department. His opinion is frequent and unwavering in its tone and direction.

1 minute ago, bigbird said:

The issue is not so much with the department, but a certain poster's perception of the department. His opinion is frequent and unwavering in its tone and direction.

I'm open for discussion with a4e. Sorta interested in what he has to say.

1 hour ago, AU Is Gold said:

Go for it.

Leath visited with staff in the Department of Entomology and Plant Pathology. The new president spoke with staff about his accomplishments and toured their laboratories, Dr. Kira Bowen, professor of plant pathology, said.

Brave man. He went into Funchess Hall........I like him.

11 hours ago, AU Is Gold said:

Good luck.......just don't ask about orange facemask.......please

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Save our football program.

17 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Save our Athletic Department and our University.

and save the whales........you forgot about saving the whales.

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

and save the whales........you forgot about saving the whales.

Image result for nuke the whales

Archived