Hal Baird as AD

Since a lot of you don't like the idea of Tommy Tuberville becoming Auburn's new AD when Jacobs retires, what you would think about Hal Baird as Auburn's news AD? Hal may not want it, but I can't think of another man other than (coach Tuberville) that would be a great fit for replacing JJ.

BRING BACK CHAINSAW ED Richardson but this time as AD!!! He is not afraid to fire people! lol

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Since a lot of you don't like the idea of Tommy Tuberville becoming Auburn's new AD when Jacobs retires, what you would think about Hal Baird as Auburn's news AD? Hal may not want it, but I can't think of another man other than (coach Tuberville) would be a great fit for replacing JJ.

Interesting idea. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind someone with little or no history at Auburn but that won't happen. 

1 minute ago, Gowebb11 said:

Interesting idea. On the other hand, I wouldn't mind someone with little or no history at Auburn but that won't happen. 

not with this regime in place :[.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

JJ won't be Auburn's AD forever. He has to retire at some point.

Jacobs has done some good things for Auburn and some things that have us scratching our head from time to time. The consensus seems to be that Auburn would be better served under different leadership at the AD position. That would mean forced retirement more than likely since Jacobs seems content. The thing is not to change for the sake of change but have a better candidate to replace the one we have. Not sure Hal Baird would be a step up. 

JJ has made more good hires than bad and has our AD making money. Not sure what else we could want. I wouldn't replace him just to replace him.

However, If we were to change AD's, I vote that they have no Auburn allegiance/ties and more business success. They can learn to love Auburn when they get here. They can't learn to be good at business in the same time frame.

Thinking outside the Auburn box might do us some good.

IMHO We need a professional with experience. 

35 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

JJ has made more good hires than bad and has our AD making money. Not sure what else we could want. I wouldn't replace him just to replace him.

You are correct... the only advantage of getting rid of him is if he is replaced by someone who is going to stand up to the money people and bring some new thinking into the program. It would be a great thing to have someone in charge who doesn't believe in "because we've always done it that way".

55 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

I agree with your post, but wanted to weigh in on the  'what else we could want' part.  I want the major sports to have consistently strong performance on a regular basis. I'm tired of hearing about other schools streaks. This school has 4 straight 10 win seasons in football, or this school has been to 5 straight regionals in baseball, or this team has made the post season in basketball 4 years in a row. AU has the tradition, resources, and recruiting footprint to do that and more. The only thing holding us back is us.  And that starts at the top. WDE!

19 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

You are correct... the only advantage of getting rid of him is if he is replaced by someone who is going to stand up to the money people and bring some new thinking into the program. It would be a great thing to have someone in charge who doesn't believe in "because we've always done it that way".

Stand up to "money people"...you must be kidding...who do you think is paying for all the stadium stuff, fancy meeting rooms, etc.   ?   JJ's biggest and primary job is raising money for athletics....

24 minutes ago, WarTim said:

IMHO We need a professional with experience. 

Go check out the resume of Stanford's AD, Bernard Muir. He was at Auburn briefly a few years ago. That's the type of resume I covet in our ADs office one day. 

46 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Stand up to "money people"...you must be kidding...who do you think is paying for all the stadium stuff, fancy meeting rooms, etc.   ?   JJ's biggest and primary job is raising money for athletics....

Nope, not kidding.  There's always more money out there.  We have a group of people who's money has afforded them WAY too much influence and most of the negative things that have happened to the program (other than players acting a fool off the field) can be traced back to them. See Jetgate as a prime and one of the more public examples.

8 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Nope, not kidding.  There's always more money out there.  We have a group of people who's money has afforded them WAY too much influence and most of the negative things that have happened to the program (other than players acting a fool off the field) can be traced back to them. See Jetgate as a prime and one of the more public examples.

Jetgate...A different AD and different times.....some lessons learned I hope.   

JMO but there is not always more money out there.....only a select few who give big money to athletic programs and as you note, the quid pro quo is that they expect to have some say so about what goes on.    Don't know what your philanthropic habits are but I bet that anyplace where you make large donations...Auburn, your church or whatever, you want to know how it is being used and want to be sure it's being used in a manner you approve of.

For Gouge and JJ....one of their primary roles is to raise money for AU from the big donors.    Gouge is departing of course and when JJ hangs it up, his successor needs to be someone who can keep the big bucks flowing to the Athletic Department.

1 hour ago, Gowebb11 said:

I'm tired of hearing about other schools streaks.

And now we get to hear that the University of Florida is the only SEC school to win a national championship in each of the big 3 sports.  Jeremy Foley is getting a lot of the credit for that.  Hmmm....

5 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Jetgate...A different AD and different times.....some lessons learned I hope.

Same group of money people who I will argue hand picked Jacobs. All that Jetgate did was make them more careful about their actions getting out.

6 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Don't know what your philanthropic habits are but I bet that anyplace where you make large donations...Auburn, your church or whatever, you want to know how it is being used and want to be sure it's being used in a manner you approve of.

Nope... that's the point of charity, if you ask me.  You believe in the mission and you trust those on said mission to do what's right. I don't question a single organization that I support. Giving them money doesn't put me on their board or give me the right to question their leadership.  If I feel they aren't completing the purpose that I am supporting, I can stop giving, after all.

Unfortunately, when people get money to the level where other people stop telling them "no", then they forget that they are not experts and their opinion is not always right or even relevant. One of the big problems we have in this country is that we have too many people who value the ability to pay for something over the knowledge to actually do it.

13 minutes ago, AU64 said:

For Gouge and JJ....one of their primary roles is to raise money for AU from the big donors.    Gouge is departing of course and when JJ hangs it up, his successor needs to be someone who can keep the big bucks flowing to the Athletic Department.

I doubt Auburn will ever have trouble raising money, athletically or otherwise. Alumni LOVE Auburn and even if they have to do a 10-1 replacement for those who overstep their place as a donor, it shouldn't be hard.

Personally, I'm really interested to see what happens when one of these people who think they run the school calls the new president to tell him how to do his job.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

Same group of money people who I will argue hand picked Jacobs. All that Jetgate did was make them more careful about their actions getting out.

Nope... that's the point of charity, if you ask me.  You believe in the mission and you trust those on said mission to do what's right. I don't question a single organization that I support. Giving them money doesn't put me on their board or give me the right to question their leadership.  If I feel they aren't completing the purpose that I am supporting, I can stop giving, after all.

Unfortunately, when people get money to the level where other people stop telling them "no", then they forget that they are not experts and their opinion is not always right or even relevant. One of the big problems we have in this country is that we have too many people who value the ability to pay for something over the knowledge to actually do it.

I doubt Auburn will ever have trouble raising money, athletically or otherwise. Alumni LOVE Auburn and even if they have to do a 10-1 replacement for those who overstep their place as a donor, it shouldn't be hard.

Personally, I'm really interested to see what happens when one of these people who think they run the school calls the new president to tell him how to do his job.

Which totally contradicts the sentence right before that.   You might not be making phone calls but you are certainly voting with your feet..or your pocketbook...one way or the other.  Alums do the same. 

Our recent discussion regarding the U of Missouri is good indication of what happens when a school goes off in directions that are not popular with those who  support it financially or with their services.  http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/431854/university-missouri-pays-high-price-its-public-meltdown

And not that long ago the AD of Texas was fired...another AD who thought he could take on the big money donors....and thought wrong.

http://www.chron.com/sports/longhorns/article/Reports-University-of-Texas-expected-to-fire-AD-6505492.php

An AD is like a university president...he has more "bosses" than you can count.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Which totally contradicts the sentence right before that.   You might not be making phone calls but you are certainly voting with your feet..or your pocketbook...one way or the other.  Alums do the same. 

Ah, but it's not. Nothing about my giving or not giving is designed to affect their actions. If I stop giving because I don't believe in what they are doing, they just replace me with someone who does. Charities are not focused on appeasing donors. If they were, they'd never get any real work done. And people in this country need to wake up and realize that their opinion isn't nearly as important as they think it is.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

Our recent discussion regarding the U of Missouri is good indication of what happens when a school goes off in directions that are not popular with those who  support it financially or with their services.

The Missouri situation is a whole other level. That's the train coming off the rails. That's completely different than big money donors meddling with day-to-day operations. With Missouri, your looking at ineptitude on a massive scale. With what we are discussing about Auburn, the football program is far from inept, yet a handful of people still think they, with no education or experience in the field, are more qualified to direct what's going on.

5 hours ago, AU64 said:

And not that long ago the AD of Texas was fired...another AD who thought he could take on the big money donors....and thought wrong.

Auburn and Texas are two very different places, but I will say this... if the big football donors I speak of are never put in their place, Auburn will never have the winning tradition so many of the fans are desperate for. Just look at how well things have worked for Texas. The only way for a school to create a dynasty is to hire a good coach and let him run his program without interference.

Just wondering. When was the last time Auburn had back to back 10+ win seasons? I really don't know the answer so that's why I'm asking.

I want Auburn to have the same kind of AD that Florida has. He brings in lots of money to their programs and like someone said, UF have won at least a national championship in all 3 of their major sports programs.

Archived