NCAA Looking at Changing Transfer Rules

triangletiger

6 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Respectfully disagree on your premise. This isn't the real job world we are talking about & these kids aren't being paid nor employed..

You are saying that none of them get an actual check from Auburn University with them shown as payee ?  and get this in return for good behavior in the school and on the athletic field?      

And I'm betting that if they quit going to practice or whatever, the money stops. 

One of the attorneys on here can correct me if I'm wrong but seems to me that such a deal involves a   quid pro quo.....which about anywhere else but in the form of an athletic scholarship, would be considered..."employment".

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

@AU64 Hockey players get "family advisors" 

Interesting...but with so many kids involved in football...and the schools having the upper hand as they do,   there is no incentive for any school ..or the NCAA for that matter..... to do anything to level the playing field...(pun intended) .   JMO

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

One of the attorneys on here can correct me if I'm wrong but seems to me that such a deal involves a   quid pro quo.....which about anywhere else but in the form of an athletic scholarship, would be considered..."employment".

Legally speaking, an employment contract and an athletic scholarship are not very different from each other. 

Well, I guess we  have beat this to death and positions are well known by now. 

Problem is, NCAA has not called me yet for my view so I expect they will make their decision without input from folks like us...just ordinary fans of college football.   Too  bad because they will be missing out on some good arguments on either side....:)

1 minute ago, AU64 said:

Well, I guess we  have beat this to death and positions are well known by now. 

Problem is, NCAA has not called me yet for my view so I expect they will make their decision without input from folks like us...just ordinary fans of college football.   Too  bad because they will be missing out on some good arguments on either side....:)

Speak for yourself! I'm on the phone with Emmert as we speak...

3 hours ago, AuburnNTexas said:

In the current system any kid must sign the contract as is and there is no negotiating.

You're telling me Dodge Chargers, suits of clothes, fishing trips, house sitting jobs for relatives, university jobs for relatives, preferential treatment by the legal system, etc. aren't negotiable depending on your level of football skill?:yes:

18 hours ago, MexicanBurtReynolds said:

Very good thread, but I've read "kids", and "endured servant" in this debate.  How long before someone starts to type "children", or even more ridiculous?

Fully support Gus on this.

Yep. You would think they were being tortured and forced to play after their toes & fingers had been cut off. Get real. Nobody makes them play college football. They have it better than 90% of the student body, and a large portion of them do not even belong at an institution of higher learning. Thats just a fact. As far as Gus goes, you better believe there's a very good reason he told Jackson that Meyer & OSU were a no go, and I guarantee you Jackson knows exactly why. Funny how these "kids" always play dumb when something comes up. 

4 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Yep. You would think they were being tortured and forced to play after their toes & fingers had been cut off. Get real. Nobody makes them play college football. They have it better than 90% of the student body, and a large portion of them do not even belong at an institution of higher learning. Thats just a fact. As far as Gus goes, you better believe there's a very good reason he told Jackson that Meyer & OSU were a no go, and I guarantee you Jackson knows exactly why. Funny how these "kids" always play dumb when something comes up. 

He definitely knows why. A lot of stuff behind the scenes for sure.

IMO Gus isn't one to pull classless moves (maybe to his detriment actually, to a certain degree). I'm no insider but I'm confident there was some foul play on Urban's side with AJ.

I will complain about rule proposals which eliminate restrictions on player transfers when a rule is passed requiring coaches that signed those players to honor their contracts and bars them from leaving the institution they signed with until either their contract is up and/or every player they signed has finished their eligibility.  (Best thing players can do under the current system is accept a scholarship without signing any national letter of intent, which is actually not required.)

I have to say, I'm not really bothered by the idea of opening up transfer rules a little.  What would bother me is if the rules opened it up for coaches to "recruit" players off of other teams. You know some of the less scrupulous coaches would use that as another way to tilt things to their advantage off the field.

8 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I have to say, I'm not really bothered by the idea of opening up transfer rules a little.  What would bother me is if the rules opened it up for coaches to "recruit" players off of other teams. You know some of the less scrupulous coaches would use that as another way to tilt things to their advantage off the field.

Just go to a high school draft and be done.  Not that I want it, but some form of this has to be coming anyway.  Another thread perhaps :dunno:

Cant just let a man ditch his team without a price. He has a piece of the playbook in his head and he can just go to Georgia?

Archived