With SEC Media Days set to begin in less than a week....

JMR

Agree with everything in your post and I thank you for your input.As you stated the O-line is critical,if they can come together we may have a great year.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, JMR said:

And where will Malzahn draw the line as far as allowing Lindsey to run his offense?

That's going to be very interesting to watch play out, and will be key to GM's success as a HC.

21 hours ago, JMR said:

Rumor is that Kevin Steele has spent a great deal of time this summer working on some of the defensive principles employed by Pete Carroll.

I hope that is true and if so, I salute KS who's been around forever, but is still trying to learn and expand.  Everyone has a year of film on his D at Auburn now, so it will be important to throw in some new wrinkles and break some tendancies.

21 hours ago, JMR said:

I've seen some discussion of whether Dunn is actually big enough to function at this level, but based on his tape, he reminds me of former AU center Ryan Pugh in terms of size and playing style.

I'll definitely be more comfortable if he is more similar to Ryan Pugh as opposed to Joe Cope.  O-line will be the deciding factor this year for sure.

Nice write up and I really enjoyed reading your perspective on the upcoming team and season.

• Like 1

Thank you for your input.  Looking forward to your podcast as well.

Man this article fired me up, even though there are still lots of questions to be answered! Trying hard to not get overly optimistic because I been burned before! Love me some AU

• Like 3

Love the post; great breakdown.

I'm primarily scared in regards to 2.  The pessimist in me is comparing this to 2008 when we hired Tony Franklin and Loeffler in 2012.  I understand those are worst-case scenarios, and I'm likely being overly half-empty, but it seems like when we go "against the grain," we crap out.

That said, I am completely sold on Stidham with White as a back-up, and I think the OL will be a force to be reckoned with if they gel early in camp.  Skills position is sewed up with Kyle Davis and NCM wide (among others) and Jason Smith and JF3 in slots (I have high hopes in getting that kid the ball).  I'm stoked as all hell with a legit TE/big WR prospect in Sal Cannella (hoping he has hit the weights hard) and legit TE Brandon Fulse.  RB is stacked with a great duo in KP and KJ and Chandler Cox in there for a H-Back and change-of-pace RB.

Defense was a strength last year for once in a long while, so I really hope we continue momentum there, and I have faith it will be a strength.  ST, same boat.  New staff, and in need of a punter, but I have faith.

Offensive philosophy just scares me.  Time will tell!  I've heard great things about CCL, but I had with TF and SL also.

• Like 1

Ok, it's getting ahead of ourselves, but it's the offseason...

IF Gus stays out of Chip's way and we are successful, is it a little weird that we will have an offensive guru as a head coach that is paid an awful whole lot of moolah to stay out of the offense? In other words, while I'm hoping for a great year, I'm at least a LITTLE worried that given Gus' penchant for overplanning, that he might be tempted to involve himself too much in Chip's offense, fearing that if he doesn't that the success of said offense isn't his own...

just thinking out loud. Lots of things to sort out for sure. Here's hoping! War Eagle!

thanks for the input as always, coach!

• Like 7

5 hours ago, MCPeePants said:

Love the post; great breakdown.

I'm primarily scared in regards to 2.  The pessimist in me is comparing this to 2008 when we hired Tony Franklin and Loeffler in 2012.  I understand those are worst-case scenarios, and I'm likely being overly half-empty, but it seems like when we go "against the grain," we crap out.

That said, I am completely sold on Stidham with White as a back-up, and I think the OL will be a force to be reckoned with if they gel early in camp.  Skills position is sewed up with Kyle Davis and NCM wide (among others) and Jason Smith and JF3 in slots (I have high hopes in getting that kid the ball).  I'm stoked as all hell with a legit TE/big WR prospect in Sal Cannella (hoping he has hit the weights hard) and legit TE Jalen Harris.  RB is stacked with a great duo in KP and KJ and Chandler Cox in there for a H-Back and change-of-pace RB.

Defense was a strength last year for once in a long while, so I really hope we continue momentum there, and I have faith it will be a strength.  ST, same boat.  New staff, and in need of a punter, but I have faith.

Offensive philosophy just scares me.  Time will tell!  I've heard great things about CCL, but I had with TF and SL also.

FIFY

4 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

IF Gus stays out of Chip's way and we are successful, is it a little weird that we will have an offensive guru as a head coach that is paid an awful whole lot of moolah to stay out of the offense? In other words, while I'm hoping for a great year, I'm at least a LITTLE worried that given Gus' penchant for overplanning, that he might be tempted to involve himself too much in Chip's offense, fearing that if he doesn't that the success of said offense isn't his own...

just thinking out loud. Lots of things to sort out for sure. Here's hoping! War Eagle!

If Gus, or any other head coach isn't "meddling" in the offense then he's not doing his job. I'm hoping to see Gus's offense when it's running right, which means not ignoring the HU part of HUNH and having a healthy QB. If Chip adds a few wrinkles in the passing game, that's good too.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

is it a little weird that we will have an offensive guru as a head coach that is paid an awful whole lot of moolah to stay out of the offense?

No. Happens quite a bit now a days. HCs have too much on their plate to often times micromanage successfully the side of the ball they specialize in.

5 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

I'm at least a LITTLE worried that given Gus' penchant for overplanning, that he might be tempted to involve himself too much in Chip's offense, fearing that if he doesn't that the success of said offense isn't his own...

Definitely a concern.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, passthebiscuits said:

IMO that's because Gus is a better OC than head coach at this point.Hope he figures it out soon or we will have a new head coach.Maybe he has learned he can't do both,I'm fine with him having all the input he wants, but as a head coach he may not have time to game plan like he did as an OC and do it right.

• Like 2

Would you rather be hands-off and increase your chance of winning or be involved and decrease your chance of winning?

Only saying decrease because as HC you have an insane amount of other stuff you have to handle

Edited by Tiger

13 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Would you rather be hands-off and increase your chance of winning or be involved and decrease your chance of winning?

Only saying decrease because as HC you have an insane amount of other stuff you have to handle

I think those questions are maybe more easily answered before and/or after the fact. Once camp starts, I imagine a guy like Gus starts operating on a purely id level. Or like one of Pavlov's dogs. When a guy can't get through lunch without drawing up plays with the condiments, it's almost not a matter of choice. I'm not in management, but I've heard and seen delegation being one of the hardest skills to develop. Now imagine Gus, whose entire professional identity is "offensive guru", being asked to let someone else run the offense. I don't begrudge him having a tough time with it. Especially when there are several head coaches who haven't had to give up playcalling. If I'm not mistaken, Gus wears a visor because Steve Spurrier is one of his role models. 

I begrudge him some other things, but not that. If he pulls this off with Chip, I'll be impressed. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I think those questions are maybe more easily answered before and/or after the fact. Once camp starts, I imagine a guy like Gus starts operating on a purely id level. Or like one of Pavlov's dogs. When a guy can't get through lunch without drawing up plays with the condiments, it's almost not a matter of choice. I'm not in management, but I've heard and seen delegation being one of the hardest skills to develop. Now imagine Gus, whose entire professional identity is "offensive guru", being asked to let someone else run the offense. I don't begrudge him having a tough time with it. Especially when there are several head coaches who haven't had to give up playcalling. If I'm not mistaken, Gus wears a visor because Steve Spurrier is one of his role models. 

I begrudge him some other things, but not that. If he pulls this off with Chip, I'll be impressed. 

I definitely get that, as someone who has had to delegate I understand how tough that transition can be. Especially since I, in some aspects of my life, am not a trusting individual and am a control freak. So I understand how challenging that can be. And I also have enough perspective to know that my opinion on the matter is completely selfish because I want AU to win. It's a million times easier for me to say "Hey, you, let someone else do it" then to have someone tell me that same thing and for me to actually do it.

How dare Gus not deviate from how he's been wired to appease my recreational desires!?!?!

• Like 1

Guest WarEagleSteve
13 hours ago, MCPeePants said:

I understand the skepticism for sure but I think the context here is different. Chizik and Tubs were both defensive-minded coaches who hired coordinators they'd never worked with before and whose philosophies clashed with the way their teams were constructed (i.e. Franklin's hurry-up offense ran counter to Tubs' ball control, grind it out tendencies and Loeffler tried to build a square peg pro-style attack with a group of round hole spread players and that's not even considering the inter-personal strife that doomed the 2012 staff/team). In Chip Lindsey, Gus hired a guy he's familiar with and has worked with before and with whom he also shares much in common from an offensive philosophy stand point (both are hurry-up, spread guys at their core). Their differences are a small gap. Tubs and Franklin's were a chasm. 

On 7/7/2017 at 3:45 AM, triangletiger said:

FIFY

Thanks!  That was a brain fart.

18 hours ago, WarEagleSteve said:

I understand the skepticism for sure but I think the context here is different. Chizik and Tubs were both defensive-minded coaches who hired coordinators they'd never worked with before and whose philosophies clashed with the way their teams were constructed (i.e. Franklin's hurry-up offense ran counter to Tubs' ball control, grind it out tendencies and Loeffler tried to build a square peg pro-style attack with a group of round hole spread players and that's not even considering the inter-personal strife that doomed the 2012 staff/team). In Chip Lindsey, Gus hired a guy he's familiar with and has worked with before and with whom he also shares much in common from an offensive philosophy stand point (both are hurry-up, spread guys at their core). Their differences are a small gap. Tubs and Franklin's were a chasm. 

I can dig all that.  Great points.  (still scared)

Gus was hired as our head coach almost exclusively for his offensive mind. If Chip's balanced attack has too many growing pains & losses - AL.com & many here will be licking their chops if head coach Gus "meddles" in young Chip's master plan. Here's hoping it fires on all cylinders...and quickly.