C.J. Smith decommits from Florida Gators

augolf1716

Bird here's a safety for you I know Auburn is not in the picture but maybe we should be. 

Florida now has just seven commitments in the class of 2018.

Wednesday night, 4-star DB C.J. Smith decommitted from the Gators via his Twitter account.

“After talking it over with my family and coaches I feel like it would be in my best interest to de-commit from the University of Florida,” Smith wrote.

His full explanation can be seen below:

The West Palm Beach product committed to the Gators back in March, but things have changed. Smith holds offers from Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma and Tennessee, among others.

Smith is rated as the nation’s No. 17 safety and the state’s No. 42 overall prospect, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings

10 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Bird here's a safety for you I know Auburn is not in the picture but maybe we should be. 

Florida now has just seven commitments in the class of 2018.

Wednesday night, 4-star DB C.J. Smith decommitted from the Gators via his Twitter account.

“After talking it over with my family and coaches I feel like it would be in my best interest to de-commit from the University of Florida,” Smith wrote.

His full explanation can be seen below:

The West Palm Beach product committed to the Gators back in March, but things have changed. Smith holds offers from Alabama, LSU, Michigan, Oklahoma and Tennessee, among others.

Smith is rated as the nation’s No. 17 safety and the state’s No. 42 overall prospect, according to 247Sports Composite Rankings

If you ask bird nicely enough, he will probably recruit this guy for you golf.

Probably a little late in his recruitment, but yes we need prospects at safety like him.

We need elite level defensive backs period.  I'm good with a 3 star mixed with a couple 4s but across the board 3s is tough to manage in the sophistication of offenses now.  Granted I think Coach Brown is probably an outstanding teacher we need a talent upgrade in the entire defensive backfield just like we needed a LB upgrade in talent just 3-4 years ago and we had 4 star players all over the place.

38 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Probably a little late in his recruitment, but yes we need prospects at safety like him.

How would you feel about a class of Fuqua, Foucha, & Sherwood? Most likely case right now.

Just hypothetically speaking what if we have an outstanding year.  Defense plays well.  Carlton Davis plays at a 1st or 2nd team all sec level I could see him looking to get paid.  With our safeties all graduating that will put a hurting on defensive backfield .  

Just now, ellitor said:

How would you feel about a class of Fuqua, Foucha, & Sherwood? Most likely case right now.

Not a knock on those players but Auburn should be able to do better in my opinion.  

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

Just hypothetically speaking what if we have an outstanding year.  Defense plays well.  Carlton Davis plays at a 1st or 2nd team all sec level I could see him looking to get paid.  With our safeties all graduating that will put a hurting on defensive backfield .  

Carlton had a disappointing year last year. I would be surprised if he improves his stock enough to go pro after this year.

Fuqua is interesting to me because of his ball skills.  Sherwood I imagine will be like Atkinson kind of a safety/LB tweener.  Add Monday with those and the class looks totally different.  Foucha doesn't really impress me at all but that's just my opinion.  I know the Hawkins kid from Montgomery is lower rated and not really a safety but I'd take him over Foucha.

Not a knock on those players but Auburn should be able to do better in my opinion.  

It's really hard to when you have a new DB coach nearly every year. As I've said before recruiting is about relationships. You can't just walk into a home every year to elite prospects and say come to us because we are Auburn if a different guy is walking in that door each year. That only works for Bama & tOSU right now.

3 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Carlton had a disappointing year last year. I would be surprised if he improves his stock enough to go pro after this year.

I think the improvement and trust J. Davis has with the coaches will relieve some of Carlton having to man up on every teams top WR therefore making him look better.  Our pass defense wasn't to shabby last year and if we can scheme a consistent pass rush I think this year we see the turn overs we've been missing.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

Fuqua is interesting to me because of his ball skills.  Sherwood I imagine will be like Atkinson kind of a safety/LB tweener.  Add Monday with those and the class looks totally different.  Foucha doesn't really impress me at all but that's just my opinion.  I know the Hawkins kid from Montgomery is lower rated and not really a safety but I'd take him over Foucha.

Foucha is very physical. I like him a lot. Besides if LSU is willing to offer a DB that's good enough for me.

I think the improvement and trust J. Davis has with the coaches will relieve some of Carlton having to man up on every teams top WR therefore making him look better.  Our pass defense wasn't to shabby last year and if we can scheme a consistent pass rush I think this year we see the turn overs we've been missing.

That's the million dollar question that will affect a lot of things on D this year.

My thing is if we can't  sell the safety spots for this years class I'm not sure when we can ever sell it.  I think the coaches need to get together and recast their net for that position grouping.  Sell it anyway you think it will work.  

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My thing is if we can't  sell the safety spots for this years class I'm not sure when we can ever sell it.  I think the coaches need to get together and recast their net for that position grouping.  Sell it anyway you think it will work.  

It's not just about selling spots. You have to show recruits you can develop players. Our Safety development has been subpar the past # of years.

11 minutes ago, ellitor said:

It's not just about selling spots. You have to show recruits you can develop players. Our Safety development has been subpar the past # of years.

How is T-Will doing it at linebacker then?

6 minutes ago, corchjay said:

How is T-Will doing it at linebacker then?

He's our best recruiter & been doing it for some years on our staff. Before he became a position coach he was the one going on the road recruiting when we were short on D staff position coaches due to firings & coaches leaving. He's been a glue piece to the D since 2014 in terms of recruiting.

My bad E I had Foucha and Sherwood backwards.  But if you are looking for a thumper then you have to look at N. Watson I think plus try to build that HT pipeline and pick up Myles Mason.  Not that I think it will help with Quick next year because he's all bama and family is obnoxious bammers.  But being in at HT, Hoover, Spain park, Bob Jones and those schools aren't bad things at all

13 minutes ago, corchjay said:

My bad E I had Foucha and Sherwood backwards.  But if you are looking for a thumper then you have to look at N. Watson I think plus try to build that HT pipeline and pick up Myles Mason.  Not that I think it will help with Quick next year because he's all bama and family is obnoxious bammers.  But being in at HT, Hoover, Spain park, Bob Jones and those schools aren't bad things at all

Mason does not appear to be a take for Bama & may not be for AU either. I think the staff sees Watson as a LB more than a Safety FWIW.

I would say the same about Watson. He's going to be a LB. Personally, if you told me Fuqua/Foucha/Sherwood were all locked in as Safeties, I'd take that crew. I like all three of those guys. Not nearly as much as I like Monday, but those are three guys that have the size to play early. I like all four of those guys more than Myles Mason or some higher rated guys.

For next year, I'm hopeful that Jamel Dean can get healthy. With his size and athleticism, he should be playing Safety. He can help ease the blow of graduating three guys if both he and Thomas are getting action this year. 

At CB, it hurt to lose Armour-Davis. I think Juanyeh Thomas is underrated, but I don't see anyone else that we're truly in the mix for. That's an area of concern.

10 hours ago, ellitor said:

E--I thought the staff was looking at Fuqua at WR.  Has that changed or am I just getting senile?

13 minutes ago, PikesEagle said:

E--I thought the staff was looking at Fuqua at WR.  Has that changed or am I just getting senile?

It's changed. See the last couple pages of his thread. He is recruited as an Athlete now but likely to end up at Safety.

Archived