Chick-fil-A is still bankrolling anti-LGBTQ causes

Auburn85

https://thinkprogress.org/chick-fil-a-still-anti-gay-970f079bf85

It has been nearly five years since Chick-fil-A chairman and CEO Dan Cathy’s comment that the company was “guilty as charged” of opposing same-sex marriage brought the company’s long history of anti-LGBTQ activism to the nation’s attention.

It has been nearly five years since Cathy, facing national backlash, vowed to stay out of the debate and focus on chicken. At that time, the company launched a very smallcharm offensive, issuing astatement that the company will “treat every person with honor, dignity and respect-regardless of their beliefs, race, creed, sexual orientation and gender.” (Chick-fil-A did not back this up with any LGBTQ-inclusive non-discrimination policy. )

But has anything changed? It sure doesn’t look that way. While the company’s non-profit arms scaled back support for some of the groups that actively push an anti-gay agenda, the Chick-fil-A Foundation’s most recent IRS filings show it gave hundreds of thousands of dollars to anti-LGBTQ organizations in 2015. Though its website’s FAQ claims the foundation “is focused on helping every child become all they were created to be,” its donations went to groups that do not believe this includes LGBTQ youth.

For example, the Chick-fil-A Foundation gave more than $1 million in 2015 (nearly one-sixth of its total grants) to the the Fellowship of Christian Athletes. The religious organization, which seeks to utilize athletes and coaches to spread Christian teachings, imparts a strongly anti-LGBTQ message. Staff and volunteers with the organization have been required to adhere to a strict sexual purity” policy, prohibiting any “homosexual acts,” even for married couples. The group takes the view that, “The Bible is clear in teaching on sexual sin including sex outside of marriage and homosexual acts. Neither heterosexual sex outside of marriage nor any homosexual act constitute an alternative lifestyle acceptable to God.”

The foundation also gave more than $200,000 to the Paul Anderson Youth Home, a Georgia-based “transformative organization” that operates a “Christian residential home for troubled youth.” Focusing on boys, theirteachings include the idea that the “sexual, physical, and mental abuse of children, mostly in the alleged ‘safety’ of their own homes has produced all kinds of evil throughout the culture to include the explosion of homosexuality in the last century.” The myth that people are LGBTQ due to abuse is a claim frequently made by anti-LGBTQ organizations to promoteharmful “ex-gay” therapy.

Additionally, the Chick-fil-A Foundation gave at least $130,000 to the Salvation Army. The religious organization has a long history of anti-LGBTQ housing discrimination, opposition to same-sex marriage equality, and supporting exemptions from non-discrimination ordinances. One page on its website, entitled “The Salvation Army and the LGBT Community,” boasts that the group adheres “to all relevant employment laws, providing domestic partner benefits accordingly.’ Given that only a minority of statesexplicitly bar anti-LGBTQ discrimination, that’s a low bar.

The Human Rights Campaign’s most recent scorecard rates Chick-fil-A a 0on LGBTQ-inclusive policies (or lack thereof). With its continued foundation giving to those who preach anti-LGBTQ values — at least $1.4 million in 2015 alone — it does not appear that the group has yet lived up to its promise to focus on poultry.

• Replies 217
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Where do you find this stuff...?Salvation Army on the left's hit list ?:-\

Good for Chick-Fil-A. Maybe that's one reason why their places are always packed. They jave their principles and stick to them. I remember about 3 years ago some group was boycottting them. I went just to be supportive and people were lined up for a block at two locations trying to get in. Eat Mor Chickn

Bravo for Chick-fil-A!✋️

9 hours ago, japantiger said:

Somehow the FCA and Salvation Army are the bad guys?  Really?  ThinkProgress....good lord....

Indeed! Just shows how depraved some of our society has become.

13 hours ago, PUB78 said:

Bravo for Chick-fil-A!✋️

This is dedicated to you PUB.

It is set to the Notre Dame Fight Song tune and is slightly modified. Here goes.

Cheer, cheer for old Chick-fil-a

Pump out the food, and oppose the gay.

Send a righteous cheer on high

Shake down the thunder from the sky!

What though the odds be greater or small

Old Chick-fil-a will win over all

While her loyal sons are marching

Onward to victory!

1 hour ago, ArgoEagle said:

This is dedicated to you PUB.

It is set to the Notre Dame Fight Song tune and is slightly modified. Here goes.

Cheer, cheer for old Chick-fil-a

Pump out the food, and oppose the gay.

Send a righteous cheer on high

Shake down the thunder from the sky!

What though the odds be greater or small

Old Chick-fil-a will win over all

While her loyal sons are marching

Onward to victory!

Good one! Head there for lunch today.

7 minutes ago, PUB78 said:

Good one! Head there for lunch today.

Gonna support them as much as possible.

I had never really heard of FCA or Salvation Army being anti-gay so I did some research. They have engaged in things that could most definitely be construed that way. Personally I wish Christians would stop with the attacks on the LBGT community and start spreading the gospel instead. 

21 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Yeah rock on!

But this doesn't help the future of Christianity in this country - or any other.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and another great post by our beloved Brother Homer    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

What a BS article. There is a HUGE difference in "promoting Christian values" and being "anti-LGBTQ". Dan Cathy never spoke against LGBTQ, he spoke for "the Biblical definition of marriage" (whatever that is). It amazes me that people will trash Chik-fil-A solely because they are a successful company that espouses Christian values. Do large groups of conservatives bash companies solely because they are owned by LGBTQ people?

16 hours ago, japantiger said:

Somehow the FCA and Salvation Army are the bad guys?  Really?  ThinkProgress....good lord....

Exactly! What a pathetic article.

I'm glad that people are finally opening their eyes and seeing the Salvation Army for the evil hate fueled group they are.

3 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

I had never really heard of FCA or Salvation Army being anti-gay so I did some research. They have engaged in things that could most definitely be construed that way. Personally I wish Christians would stop with the attacks on the LBGT community and start spreading the gospel instead. 

99.999% of the stuff you'd see at any FCA meeting would have zilch to do with LBGT anything.  Same for the Salvation Army.  What you'd see is people serving the homeless and needy, and athletes sharing time with other athletes about their faith and encouraging each other in those things, perhaps going on service projects.  And being Christian organizations, they expect their members to adhere to the teachings of the Christian faith.  That shouldn't be shocking or troubling to anyone.  That happens to include things regarding sexual activity.  I would expect a Muslim organization of this sort to have rules expecting members to adhere to the teachings of Islam and would have no problem with it.  Neither are out there persecuting the LBGT community.  They have different beliefs on sexual behavior.  Part of living in a country with the freedom to associate and belief as one wishes.

10 minutes ago, TitanTiger said:

99.999% of the stuff you'd see at any FCA meeting would have zilch to do with LBGT anything.  Same for the Salvation Army.  What you'd see is people serving the homeless and needy, and athletes sharing time with other athletes about their faith and encouraging each other in those things, perhaps going on service projects.  And being Christian organizations, they expect their members to adhere to the teachings of the Christian faith.  That shouldn't be shocking or troubling to anyone.  That happens to include things regarding sexual activity.  I would expect a Muslim organization of this sort to have rules expecting members to adhere to the teachings of Islam and would have no problem with it.  Neither are out there persecuting the LBGT community.  They have different beliefs on sexual behavior.  Part of living in a country with the freedom to associate and belief as one wishes.

Of course the majority of their acts have zero to do with it, that's why I said some of the things could be construed as anti-gay. And you don't need to explain adhering to a Christian faith to me. I'm quite aware of biblical teachings. I've sat in a church service where the pastor mocked gay and trans people while the congregation shouted amen maniacally. But I wonder how many amens would have been said had the pastor said we need to love all people and tell them about Christ's love and his sacrifice. My guess is not many. 

12 minutes ago, GiveEmElle said:

I've sat in a church service where the pastor mocked gay and trans people while the congregation shouted amen maniacally. But I wonder how many amens would have been said had the pastor said we need to love all people and tell them about Christ's love and his sacrifice. My guess is not many. 

Well first of all, that's deplorable and anti-Christian.  

Second, while regrettably there are churches and pastors like that, I can report that our church - which is decidedly traditional and orthodox on doctrine and moral teachings on things like sexuality, had a church-wide meeting where our pastor clearly stated our beliefs on the matter, but went to great lengths on our need to love LBGT people, to treat them with dignity and respect as people dearly loved by God himself and that we need to be a family for those amongst us who find themselves same-sex attracted and trying to live out their Christian faith.  We plan on having a speaker soon who is a gay Christian who happens to affirm the traditional, orthodox position on sexual activity and one of his main things to speak on is changing the way the church treats its gay members and how to come alongside them as they live out a difficult calling and embrace them fully as not just members, but as our fellow brothers and sisters.

It's not like it was for you everywhere.  Be encouraged by that.

4 hours ago, GiveEmElle said:

So, telling the LBGT community that their lifestyle is against God's word and plan for humanity is okay? And, there is a way out of their lifestyle by accepting Christ as their Savior and becoming a new person with a different walk of life?

2 hours ago, TitanTiger said:

Well first of all, that's deplorable and anti-Christian.  

Second, while regrettably there are churches and pastors like that, I can report that our church - which is decidedly traditional and orthodox on doctrine and moral teachings on things like sexuality, had a church-wide meeting where our pastor clearly stated our beliefs on the matter, but went to great lengths on our need to love LBGT people, to treat them with dignity and respect as people dearly loved by God himself and that we need to be a family for those amongst us who find themselves same-sex attracted and trying to live out their Christian faith.  We plan on having a speaker soon who is a gay Christian who happens to affirm the traditional, orthodox position on sexual activity and one of his main things to speak on is changing the way the church treats its gay members and how to come alongside them as they live out a difficult calling and embrace them fully as not just members, but as our fellow brothers and sisters.

It's not like it was for you everywhere.  Be encouraged by that.

Well said TT. Something realized over the years. There are great gay people and horrible gay people. Vice/Versa straight people. Rather not hear pastors guide congregations on the issues, 

1 hour ago, PUB78 said:

So, telling the LBGT community that their lifestyle is against God's word and plan for humanity is okay? And, there is a way out of their lifestyle by accepting Christ as their Savior and becoming a new person with a different walk of life?

I don't agree with that approach. 

1 hour ago, GiveEmElle said:

I don't agree with that approach. 

What would be your approach?

7 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ and another great post by our beloved Brother Homer    ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Well I certainly wouldn't put that post in the "great" category, but in case you're interested, here's my rationale:

The future of Christianity - like every religion - depends on attracting people, particularly young people.

Most polls suggest younger generations have much more accepting views of LGBT people than most older people.  Assuming older people pretty much control church doctrine, this has the potential to make church doctrine less relevant to their lives.   

Do you disagree?

Archived