Best AU Tight End ever?

WarEagle1982

These 5 have my vote (not sure what order I would put them in though):

Philip Lutzenkirchen

Walter Reeves

Fred Baxter

Andy Fuller

Ed West

I believe Baxter and West were the two with the longest NFL longevity.  

Andy Fuller was pretty good in both categories as well.  He had some huge catches in the passing game (94 Florida game and 95 Bama game).  I guess I probably know more about him though because I was rather young when West was playing.  Most of my knowledge of him was from his NFL playing days.

24 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Ed West by far as the total package...receiving and blocking not really that close imo

I agree. Kinda like the WR thread though. Wish there were more names I could throw out there, but there just arent.

8 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

I agree. Kinda like the WR thread though. Wish there were more names I could throw out there, but there just arent.

I will say I think "The Big Hurt"  Frank Thomas had the potential to be a great TE until he gave it up for BB. Saw him at JH make a fantastic catch for a TD his freshman year

52 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

TOMMY TROTT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Stone hands!!!!!!

Talent wise and size wise, Robert Johnson would be hard to beat. If he had stayed his senior year, could have had a great career here overall.  Not sure why he went early to NFL.

57 minutes ago, auburntiger1987 said:

Cooper Wallace?

When TE is mentioned he's one of the first to come to my mind. Have a picture with him as a kid back at fan day. My memory though is that he'd make a big catch, run 15-20 yards then fumble , and that it happened more often than it should have lol

I can't remember how far you'd have to scroll through twitter but Brandon Cox had some pretty funny interactions about their playing days with Bennett and Trott on twitter (in the last year I believe). Really showed the special relationship between a QB and TE. Lol

Just now, Maverick.AU said:

When TE is mentioned he's one of the first to come to my mind. Have a picture with him as a kid back at fan day. My memory though is that he'd make a big catch, run 15-20 yards then fumble , and that it happened more often than it should have lol

it seemed he'd always catch anything thrown near him and either fall down immediately or do exactly like you said

1 minute ago, auburntiger1987 said:

it seemed he'd always catch anything thrown near him and either fall down immediately or do exactly like you said

My dad and I would scream when he caught a pass just to fall down because it seemed like when he had open field he ended up fumbling lol

Lutz and Trott are the best I've seen at Auburn but to be fair I am only 24 and have only been an Auburn fan since 2003 when my brother went to Auburn.

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I will say I think "The Big Hurt"  Frank Thomas had the potential to be a great TE until he gave it up for BB. Saw him at JH make a fantastic catch for a TD his freshman year

In hindsight, I would say he made the right choice.

15 minutes ago, augrad68 said:

In hindsight, I would say he made the right choice.

Slightly...............lol if I recall Dye supported his move to BB only 

5 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Talent wise and size wise, Robert Johnson would be hard to beat. If he had stayed his senior year, could have had a great career here overall.  Not sure why he went early to NFL.

I would rate him as one of the biggest disappointments at TE. Tons of potential, highly recruited, but never lived up to the hype. Wasnt a bad player, but nowhere near what he was supposed to be either. Jmo

Ron Middleton was solid. Spent a few years in the NFL. Also one heck of a great character guy. 

Archived