2018 4* QB Brevin White (Princeton)

ellitor

So many AU fans wanted Fields that they would hardly talk about White, now it's really looking like we've lost White to Princeton and now Fields is talking about picking Florida State or Georgia. Malzahn doesn't know how to offer top QB's like White unless their coming from the juco ranks.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Dude just scored himself an Ivy league education. Better odds with life success with that than being on football scholly at P5 (although either an enviable position to be in).

On 7/15/2017 at 0:22 PM, ellitor said:

Fields could be in August or after OVs. White says after fields as was already posted.

So did another Fields that also plays QB commit somewhere and White got all panicked when Gus and Chip didn't immediately call and during his discombobulation called Princeton by accident and was like I'm a 4* QB and want to commit to you now?

3 hours ago, fredst said:

Dude just scored himself an Ivy league education. Better odds with life success with that than being on football scholly at P5 (although either an enviable position to be in).

Yeah, can't fault the guy for getting to play football and get accepted into Ivy League.

11 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

Malzahn needs to put an offer on the table for Brevin before it's way too late. If he doesn't and Fields signs with someone else, what do we do then?

Relax a4e. There are QBs AU can get that they like better than Brevin.

11 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

So many AU fans wanted Fields that they would hardly talk about White, now it's really looking like we've lost White to Princeton and now Fields is talking about picking Florida State or Georgia. Malzahn doesn't know how to offer top QB's like White unless their coming from the juco ranks.

I really hate saying this but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Just relax & let things play out.

Congrats to him for having that opportunity.....obviously looking at a "life" plan and not just the next few years.

12 hours ago, ellitor said:

I really hate saying this but you have absolutely no clue what you are talking about. Just relax & let things play out.

e he's just trolling

If he truly wants Princeton, then his priorities weren't  straight to be a D1 P5 QB.  Maybe he'll follow in Jason Garrett's footsteps.

18 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

e he's just trolling

Yeah well I don't like trolling. I don't find it entertaining at all. But I'll live with it.

Surely if Auburn offered a scholly, he'd drop Princeton like a rock. Come on Gus, offer Brevin before it gets too late.

Don't know what to make of this commitment. Does he know something about JF, like he is going to AU? Just a few days ago he was going to wait until JF committed, now he's gone to Princeton. I'm like A4E,I wonder if he would still come to AU if we lost JF? And who is our backup plan if we lose JF and he won't? I thought we were taking two QB's this year.

1 hour ago, kd4au said:

Don't know what to make of this commitment. Does he know something about JF, like he is going to AU? Just a few days ago he was going to wait until JF committed, now he's gone to Princeton. I'm like A4E,I wonder if he would still come to AU if we lost JF? And who is our backup plan if we lose JF and he won't? I thought we were taking two QB's this year.

We are taking 2 QBs. Brevin is just not a backup plan now. AU may have identified a back up plan but that has not been stated publicly yet. A name to watch is Steven Kryjewski.

34 minutes ago, ellitor said:

We are taking 2 QBs. Brevin is just not a backup plan now. AU may have identified a back up plan but that has not been stated publicly yet. A name to watch is Steven Kryjewski.

I don't expect a Malik Willis every season, but I ain't mad at it. 

40 minutes ago, ellitor said:

Do we have a thread on SK?

1 minute ago, kd4au said:

Do we have a thread on SK?

No. Others are free to but I don't typically make threads on recruits unless they are top targets or identified as clear next man up back up plans.

Quick question:

What was his top 2 this week? Before the Princeton thing.   Maybe he did not specify a top 2 or 3...

Brevin White could’ve chosen to play football at almost any college he wanted. The sought-after high school quarterback visited big-time schools from Arizona State to Tennessee, more than a dozen in total, and finally felt ready to make a decision.

That résumé made it altogether stunning when last week he announced his choice: Princeton.

“I want to have a roommate that’s smarter than me,” said White, who has his eye on careers in both the NFL and on Wall Street. “I wantto be surrounded by those type of kids.”There’s no recent precedent for a football prospect this highly-regarded choosing to play at an Ivy League school. The Ivies don’t play at the highest level of college football and can’t even award athletic scholarships. White, who attends Paraclete High School in Lancaster, Calif., ranks as one of the 15 best pocket passers in the high-school class of 2018, according to most recruiting services.

Players that good spend their high school years getting wooed by the biggest programs in college football. Coaches send them piles of letters, blow up their phone and tell them they see a future NFL star who can play on national television every Saturday while leading the team to a national championship.

At Princeton, there’s no such thing as a national championship. At least not these days. The school stakes a claim to 28 titles, though none since 1950 and most before 1900.

Now, Ivy League schools play in the Football Championship Subdivision, a tier below the Football Bowl Subdivision that houses the big-time schools. The Ivies don’t even participate in the FCS playoff. Or play a conference title game, for that matter.

Still, it’s becoming increasingly common for these players to find their way to the NFL. Six Ivy League football players have been drafted in the last five years, compared with just two in the previous five. Three of the players from the last five years came from Princeton, which went 8-2 in 2016 and tied Penn for the Ivy title.

“Nowadays if you have NFL talent, they’re gonna find you no matter where you’re at,” said Dean Herrington, White’s high school coach.

And it isn’t just football. Harvard’s men’s basketball team has turned heads with its recruiting success too. But Ivy League basketball, unlike football, plays at the same level as the blue-blood superpowers and the conference gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

In either sport, what has historically made attracting top-notch players to these schools difficult isn’t just the inferior facilities or lack of nationally televised games. Unlike almost every other Division I program, the Ivies do not offer athletic scholarships.

Instead, Ivy League schools only offer need-based financial aid to students. And they have stepped up those programs in recent years. For example, students in Princeton’s class of 2020 with family incomes up to $140,000 typically pay no tuition, according to the university. This applies to all students, not just athletes.

“I wish it were retroactive,” joked Bob Surace, the Princeton football coach and a former player at the school.

At the very least, the financial aid could help narrow the gap for prospects sweating the difference between an Ivy and an FBS school—even one of the more academically prestigious ones. And even at those, “as a football player are you getting that same education?” says Surace. “Or are they just putting you in study hall?”

Surace, who is prohibited from discussing White due to NCAA rules, understands what a player gives up by coming to Princeton over a school that can promise a full ride. He says they try to give the scholarship, so to speak, on the back-end by preparing the players with mock interviews, résumé workshops and alumni networking to set them up to be successful after college.

White, whose father is a commercial real-estate broker and referees college basketball games, says the lack of scholarship “kind of hurts” but is fortunate to come from a family that encouraged him regardless and has the wherewithal to make it work. Whether or not he qualifies for any aid, and if so how much, hasn’t been determined yet.

For him, the dream is just like any other top prospect: He wants to play in the NFL. And he thinks if he’s ultimately good enough, the NFL will find him even at Princeton. Which isn’t the least bit unreasonable: The Eagles took Carson Wentz No. 2 overall in the 2016 draft from North Dakota State, an FCS school.

But if that doesn’t work out, White already has ideas about what he wants to study. He’s interested in finance so he liked Princeton’s proximity to New York. He says he plans to major in economics or potentially psychology. Surace notes that players aren’t limited to certain majors to make the football schedule work with an academic one—the team practices between 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., a time slot reserved at the school for extracurricular activities, when no classes are held.

White didn’t consider Princeton early in his decision process. But he visited Harvard, and some time later he said a Princeton coach sent him a direct message on Twitter. Then he took a trip there and loved it.

What remains to be seen is if other players will follow suit. White hopes his decision opens eyes to others when they weigh their options. Not that it’s for everyone—his brother plays quarterback at Arizona State—but he has noticed that some other high schoolers just take their highest-profile offer without considering their breadth of options.

“Kids feel the pressure to commit to the biggest name school, or an SEC school, because of the name,” White says. “Kids are gonna hop on the wagon.”

But hopping on the wagon is harder than it sounds. Even when White was ready to make his decision, he couldn’t quite yet. First he had to send the school his academic paperwork and find out if he would actually be accepted.

Then he and his family went on a trip to Cancún. Even there, he stressed himself out awaiting a verdict. And, on 18th birthday, he received a phone call while on vacation. It was Surace. The admissions office gave the green light. And White committed to Princeton.

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Brevin White could’ve chosen to play football at almost any college he wanted. The sought-after high school quarterback visited big-time schools from Arizona State to Tennessee, more than a dozen in total, and finally felt ready to make a decision.

That résumé made it altogether stunning when last week he announced his choice: Princeton.

“I want to have a roommate that’s smarter than me,” said White, who has his eye on careers in both the NFL and on Wall Street. “I wantto be surrounded by those type of kids.”There’s no recent precedent for a football prospect this highly-regarded choosing to play at an Ivy League school. The Ivies don’t play at the highest level of college football and can’t even award athletic scholarships. White, who attends Paraclete High School in Lancaster, Calif., ranks as one of the 15 best pocket passers in the high-school class of 2018, according to most recruiting services.

Players that good spend their high school years getting wooed by the biggest programs in college football. Coaches send them piles of letters, blow up their phone and tell them they see a future NFL star who can play on national television every Saturday while leading the team to a national championship.

At Princeton, there’s no such thing as a national championship. At least not these days. The school stakes a claim to 28 titles, though none since 1950 and most before 1900.

Now, Ivy League schools play in the Football Championship Subdivision, a tier below the Football Bowl Subdivision that houses the big-time schools. The Ivies don’t even participate in the FCS playoff. Or play a conference title game, for that matter.

Still, it’s becoming increasingly common for these players to find their way to the NFL. Six Ivy League football players have been drafted in the last five years, compared with just two in the previous five. Three of the players from the last five years came from Princeton, which went 8-2 in 2016 and tied Penn for the Ivy title.

“Nowadays if you have NFL talent, they’re gonna find you no matter where you’re at,” said Dean Herrington, White’s high school coach.

And it isn’t just football. Harvard’s men’s basketball team has turned heads with its recruiting success too. But Ivy League basketball, unlike football, plays at the same level as the blue-blood superpowers and the conference gets an automatic bid to the NCAA tournament.

In either sport, what has historically made attracting top-notch players to these schools difficult isn’t just the inferior facilities or lack of nationally televised games. Unlike almost every other Division I program, the Ivies do not offer athletic scholarships.

Instead, Ivy League schools only offer need-based financial aid to students. And they have stepped up those programs in recent years. For example, students in Princeton’s class of 2020 with family incomes up to $140,000 typically pay no tuition, according to the university. This applies to all students, not just athletes.

“I wish it were retroactive,” joked Bob Surace, the Princeton football coach and a former player at the school.

At the very least, the financial aid could help narrow the gap for prospects sweating the difference between an Ivy and an FBS school—even one of the more academically prestigious ones. And even at those, “as a football player are you getting that same education?” says Surace. “Or are they just putting you in study hall?”

Surace, who is prohibited from discussing White due to NCAA rules, understands what a player gives up by coming to Princeton over a school that can promise a full ride. He says they try to give the scholarship, so to speak, on the back-end by preparing the players with mock interviews, résumé workshops and alumni networking to set them up to be successful after college.

White, whose father is a commercial real-estate broker and referees college basketball games, says the lack of scholarship “kind of hurts” but is fortunate to come from a family that encouraged him regardless and has the wherewithal to make it work. Whether or not he qualifies for any aid, and if so how much, hasn’t been determined yet.

For him, the dream is just like any other top prospect: He wants to play in the NFL. And he thinks if he’s ultimately good enough, the NFL will find him even at Princeton. Which isn’t the least bit unreasonable: The Eagles took Carson Wentz No. 2 overall in the 2016 draft from North Dakota State, an FCS school.

But if that doesn’t work out, White already has ideas about what he wants to study. He’s interested in finance so he liked Princeton’s proximity to New York. He says he plans to major in economics or potentially psychology. Surace notes that players aren’t limited to certain majors to make the football schedule work with an academic one—the team practices between 4:30 p.m. and 7:30 p.m., a time slot reserved at the school for extracurricular activities, when no classes are held.

White didn’t consider Princeton early in his decision process. But he visited Harvard, and some time later he said a Princeton coach sent him a direct message on Twitter. Then he took a trip there and loved it.

What remains to be seen is if other players will follow suit. White hopes his decision opens eyes to others when they weigh their options. Not that it’s for everyone—his brother plays quarterback at Arizona State—but he has noticed that some other high schoolers just take their highest-profile offer without considering their breadth of options.

“Kids feel the pressure to commit to the biggest name school, or an SEC school, because of the name,” White says. “Kids are gonna hop on the wagon.”

But hopping on the wagon is harder than it sounds. Even when White was ready to make his decision, he couldn’t quite yet. First he had to send the school his academic paperwork and find out if he would actually be accepted.

Then he and his family went on a trip to Cancún. Even there, he stressed himself out awaiting a verdict. And, on 18th birthday, he received a phone call while on vacation. It was Surace. The admissions office gave the green light. And White committed to Princeton.

Thanks for the citation Golf. Didn't feel like putting in that effort, lol.

Just now, fredst said:

Thanks for the citation Golf. Didn't feel like putting in that effort, lol.

What I'm here for fredst...no citation at all

Just now, augolf1716 said:

What I'm here for fredst...no citation at all

You think Bird will bust your balls for a cut and paste??

He wanted a "roommate smarter than himself?"   He could've chosen Auburn and roomed with my son if he would have spoken up.   Unless Bremen plans on building his own rockets in the basement, I would bet my son (Engr, 3.5) would be compatible.    If not, my son's roomie has like a 3.8 in ME.   This could workout still.....

Coach Chip....calling Coach Chip - 

Archived