Summer Ball Updates

Davis Daniel pitching for Brewster in the Cape Cod league.  Looks like he is finding his way, has started off 2-1 to this point but got beat up a bit in his first two starts.  Sounding better, this from Sunday July 9th:

"Daniel (2-1) chopped more than three runs off his ERA with his longest outing of the year, all the way down to a season-best 5.02. He allowed just one runner past first base, at one point retiring 11 in a row before Logan Davidson walked with two outs in the top of the fifth."

“He was definitely commanding the fastball and taking advantage of his ability to take control of the corners,” said Brewster catcher Mickey Gasper. “He did really well going to both sides of the plate, up and down, and he found a way to dominate with his fastball.”

http://pointstreak.com/baseball/team_stats.html?teamid=12536&seasonid=30631&view=pitching

The news not so good for Daniel Sprinkle who is pitching for Wisconsin in the Northwoods League.  He has appeared in 14 games (all in relief) for 21 1/3 innings, he's given up a ridiculous 34 hits and 13 earned runs.  ERA is 5.48 and has a record of 0-3.  This from Sunday July 9th:

"Daniel Sprinkle suffered the loss on the mound, allowing five runs on six hits. He also struck out a batter while working ⅔ of an inning."

http://northwoods.bbstats.pointstreak.com/team_stats.html?teamid=161&seasonid=30702&view=pitching

Jeremy Johnson playing for the Chugiak Chinooks in the Alaskan Baseball League.  Second on the team with a .288 batting average in 22 games played through July 10th.

http://alaskabaseball.bbstats.pointstreak.com/team_stats.html?teamid=35699&seasonid=30809

Thanks for the updates..one of the great mysteries of AU baseball is how DS showed up here with his credentials..and has not been able to be anywhere near competitive ....is this the same guy someone from AU scouted ?

Conor Davis playing for the Peninsula Pilots of the Coastal Plain League.  Has played in 14 of 33 games (assuming he got there after the season had already started) really seems to be struggling at the plate.  Batting .158 on just 38 at bats. 1 double, 1 triple and 2 home runs in his 6 hits.  15 strikeouts and 8 walks.  Needs to pick it up a notch. http://www.coastalplain.com/statistics/2017/pen.htm#team.mlb

Will Holland playing for the Amsterdam Mohawks of the Perfect Game Summer Collegiate League.  Has played in 22 of 32 games hitting .299 on 77 ab's...has 6 stolen bases which is notable but also leads the team by a long shot with 10 errors and his home field is astroturf. http://pgcbl.bbstats.pointstreak.com/team_stats.html?teamid=90386&seasonid=30892

I'm still holding out hope that Butch will find something in Daniel Sprinkle before he graduates. It's a mystery why he's not been producing, but I keep thinking his time is coming

On 7/13/2017 at 0:58 PM, tigerbrotha12 said:

I'm still holding out hope that Butch will find something in Daniel Sprinkle before he graduates. It's a mystery why he's not been producing, but I keep thinking his time is coming

I believe he relied too much on the fastball which was dominant speed-wise in high school.  Because he shows the ball well from a hitter's perspective and has a classic delivery and is very flat movement wise he can't get the fastball by most college hitters.  Unless they change his arm slot, I'm of the opinion he is going to have to go to a cut or two seam with a lot of pressure on one finger a la Tim Hudson (he called it a "one finger fastball") in order to create movement.  That and the fact that he probably never relieved until he got to Auburn which can take some serious mental adjustment...hopeful he can find his way to a mid-week starter role at the very least in '18.

JMO... but if DS ever makes a serious contribution it will be like finding a $20 in some old pants you haven't worn in a while...an unexpected surprise.

On 7/13/2017 at 11:58 AM, tigerbrotha12 said:

I think it was announced or mentioned by a writer on another site that Sprinkle won't be returning to Auburn in the fall.

On 7/12/2017 at 8:24 PM, PowerOfDixieland said:

Will Holland playing for the Amsterdam Mohawks of the Perfect Game Summer Collegiate League.  Has played in 22 of 32 games hitting .299 on 77 ab's...has 6 stolen bases which is notable but also leads the team by a long shot with 10 errors and his home field is astroturf. http://pgcbl.bbstats.pointstreak.com/team_stats.html?teamid=90386&seasonid=30892

Holland was named an All-Star in the Perfect Game Collegiate League last week.

Here's the full list of Auburn players in summer leagues:

Casey Mize: Team USA Collegiate National Team (no longer with team, has returned to rest his arm after missing another start with a forearm issue)

Davis Daniel: Brewster Whitecaps, Cape Cod

Jeremy Johnson: Chugiak Chinooks, Alaska Summer League

Conor Davis: Peninsula Pilots, Coastal Plains League

Will Holland: Amsterdam Mohawks, Perfect Game Collegiate League

Elliott Anderson: Amsterdam Mohawks, Perfect Game Collegiate League

Calvin Coker: Willmar Stingers, Northwoods Summer League

Steven Williams: Gaithersburg Giants, Cal Ripken Summer League

Jack Owen: Victoria HarbourCats, West Coast Summer League

Chase Hall: Montgomery Metro League

Brendan Venter: Harrisonburg Turks, Valley Baseball League

Posted this season stats recap on another board. Figured I would share it here for those interested.

Davis Daniel: 2-1, 5.28 ERA, 15.1 IP, 9 ER, 18 H, 13/8 K/BB
Will Holland: named to PGCBL All-Star Team, .307 (27-88), 21 R, 10 RBI, 24/10 K/BB, 7 HBP, 11 E
Elliott Anderson: 1-0, 5.26 ERA, 13.2 IP, 8 ER, 13 H, 14/10 K/BB
Jeremy Johnson: .299 (29-97), 11 R, 12 RBI, 14/9 K/BB, 14 SB
Conor Davis: .180 (9-50), 9 R, 2 HR, 10 RBI, 19/9 K/BB, 3 HBP
Calvin Coker: 0-1, 3.24 ERA, 8.1 IP, 3 ER, 8 H, 11/2 K/BB
Brendan Venter: .221 (15-68), 9 R, 2 HR, 13 RBI, 16/4 K/BB, 4 HBP
Steven Williams: .195 (8-41), 8 R, 1 HR, 4 RBI, 7/7 K/BB
Jack Owen: 3-1, 1.44 ERA, 31.1 IP, 5 ER, 21 H, 34/8 K/BB, .93 WHIP, .189 OAVG

Sorry to hear about Mize and arm issues...

Seems to be a few of these pitchers developing arm problems this off season....

On 7/17/2017 at 11:38 PM, HitandRun5 said:

Seems to be a few of these pitchers developing arm problems this off season....

IMHO....too much too soon. These kids with talent start the wear and tear in childhood and it continues the entire time while their bones and joints are still growing. Casey Mize is probably still not finished growing. Most young men don't complete physical maturation until they are 22-23. Pitching year round just adds to the problem. 

Archived