Sean White not quitting just yet

weagle06

Yesterday Sean tweeted "trust the process" amidst all the preseason hype surrounding Stidham. The tweet has since been removed. 

So in reality, what chance does he really have of keeping the starting job? How many QB's have been named to the Maxwell Award watch list before even being named the starter? SEC network ran a graph yesterday showing three schools in SEC that still had a QB competition, Auburn was not listed. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Fan base reaction if SW named the starting qb???!!!

9 minutes ago, weagle06 said:

Meltdown

Should be excitement if we have a QB better than Stidham. Hate when fans start playing favorites. Give me the best guy and if the coaches get it wrong time will tell and we can meltdown then. 

32 minutes ago, weagle06 said:

Yesterday Sean tweeted "trust the process" amidst all the preseason hype surrounding Stidham. The tweet has since been removed. 

So in reality, what chance does he really have of keeping the starting job? How many QB's have been named to the Maxwell Award watch list before even being named the starter? SEC network ran a graph yesterday showing three schools in SEC that still had a QB competition, Auburn was not listed. 

0%

44 minutes ago, toddc said:

It will not happen unless JS sustains some type of injury. JS will be the starter. 

Side note: While I do think Stidham will be very good, I find it fascinating that he has been named to these watch lists without even playing a meaningful down for AU. He has more hype coming in than ANY QB I can remember. Cam had hype from the fans, but even he was not on the Maxwell watch list. This morning Chuck Oliver (has a football show) said Stidham was the best QB in the SEC coming into the season. 

40 minutes ago, weagle06 said:

Meltdown

Yes, because that would have mean JS is injured.  A QB who is injury prone is now starting and a true freshman is right behind him.

He'll get some snaps, and he'll always be one snap away from the starting role.  So... why quit?

14 minutes ago, AU-24 said:

He'll get some snaps, and he'll always be one snap away from the starting role.  So... why quit?

Good guy or not.. you don't go from head man on one of the hottest teams in the country for a 6 game stretch last year, to backup the next year without some issues. Don't care who you are. It would mess with your head.

Trust the process?   I trust Chip Lindsey. Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II.  In reality, he will probably be able to making a convincing performance to be the starter in practice.  On the field however, we all know he physically won't last the season.  Stidham will start.  Sean will be a back up and probably get mop up duties.  Then become a graduate transfer.  Stidham could get drafted and we will continue to be thin a QB for the immediate future.    As some on here have pointed out Gus has not done well anticipating attrition but I think Chip understands this better at the QB position, which is why he wants to QB's signed this class.   I am also pumped about Chip because we wont have to deal the Gus's "Packages" for the QB that didn't win the starting job but Gus feels the need to play him anyways. 

1 hour ago, weagle06 said:

Of all things to tweet.:ucrazy:

We don't do "the Process" at Auburn.

I don't give a rats rear-end who's playing QB at Auburn, I just want to see the idiotic play-calling, "in game" adjustments, and the prior week game preparation from our coaches improve dramatically.  Earn that $5mm Gus and look like you know what you are doing on the sidelines man!

This year if the starting QB is injured we will a good backup.  Unlike the last 2 years.  :wareagle: to SW thanks for staying. 

26 minutes ago, au75 said:

This year if the starting QB is injured we will a good backup.  Unlike the last 2 years.  :wareagle: to SW thanks for staying. 

The #13 2nd we've lacked of late?

ETA - concur w./ the thanks.

WDE

2 hours ago, toddc said:

MeltMania! I'll be one of them!

JS is our guy and I really don't care what is said during camp coming from coaches or writers as long as I see JS taking the first snap of game 1. I hope SW is indeed healthy b/c you just never know but there really isn't any question who our QB is. I don't have a problem with us not announcing it but I'll do without all the bait click come camp about a QB "controversy" when there really isn't one.  

1 hour ago, gr82b4au said:

It will not happen unless JS sustains some type of injury. JS will be the starter. 

Side note: While I do think Stidham will be very good, I find it fascinating that he has been named to these watch lists without even playing a meaningful down for AU. He has more hype coming in than ANY QB I can remember. Cam had hype from the fans, but even he was not on the Maxwell watch list. This morning Chuck Oliver (has a football show) said Stidham was the best QB in the SEC coming into the season. 

I think a lot of that has to do with what he showed playing as a true freshman. I know many don't think much of the B12 regarding defense but those were solid teams he started against. It wasn't against FCS schools. I really don't care about the award hype but i think many see that JS is a very good QB and with the weapons, we have to go around him make him even better and he doesn't have to do a lot to be successful.

I see many saying...well defenses in the SEC  is a different animal and I agree to a certain extent. Outside of LSU, Bama and UGA; defenses in the SEC were not that good overall. The SEC as a whole was down a good bit last year. SW put up good numbers against those teams minus Bama & UGA then JS is surely capable of doing at least the same. The difference is can he help get us past the top rated defenses? I think he has the tools to do so. This is what we're missing against the big boys of the SEC. We're going to have the opportunity to stretch the field more against better defenses with JS. 

I don't know of anyone who expects SW to give up at all. That's not his mentality. I hope he's truly healthy and the competition does push him to improve b/c it only takes one play for him to become the #1 guy. 

I thought Stidham looked great in the spring game but let's don't forget how well White was playing before he was injured last year.  The offense was absolutely cooking.  I don't count him out at all.  Even if he is not the starter he needs to be on the field a couple of series in each game so there is not a drop off in case of injury like we had last year.  

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

Trust the process?   I trust Chip Lindsey. Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II.  In reality, he will probably be able to making a convincing performance to be the starter in practice.  On the field however, we all know he physically won't last the season.  Stidham will start.  Sean will be a back up and probably get mop up duties.  Then become a graduate transfer.  Stidham could get drafted and we will continue to be thin a QB for the immediate future.    As some on here have pointed out Gus has not done well anticipating attrition but I think Chip understands this better at the QB position, which is why he wants to QB's signed this class.   I am also pumped about Chip because we wont have to deal the Gus's "Packages" for the QB that didn't win the starting job but Gus feels the need to play him anyways. 

An Elite 11 MVP and QB that lead the SEC in pass efficiency while healthy is a D-II level talent?

16 minutes ago, VipersStrike1 said:

/ thread

I mean really....the coaches tried to play JJ and Franklin ahead of White. Only way JS doesn't start is if he literally can't play

58 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

An Elite 11 MVP and QB that lead the SEC in pass efficiency while healthy is a D-II level talent?

No.  His frame is built for D-II.  He can manage an SEC offense, make good decision, and is accurate, but he is not big enough physically to last in FBS.  There is actually an article out there, where the reporter covered Auburn recruiting Sean and why none of the big three schools from his home state bothered to offer the elite 11 mvp a scholarship.  Coaches from each program said the same thing, he can play but he is too small for FBS and they cannot see him staying healthy.  They were right. 

Also your reading and comprehension is not very good. I stated above " Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II." Key word built!  I never said he didn't have the talent. 

I'd throw up...I just can't stomach the thought of seeing SW on the field after the GA and OK games last year.  

12 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

I'd throw up...I just can't stomach the thought of seeing SW on the field after the GA and OK games last year.  

Yikes that's a bit much, no? This isn't Jeff Klein we're talking about here. What about the games in which he wasn't injured? Surely you weren't vomiting between September through early November, were you?

Archived