Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
weagle06

Sean White not quitting just yet

141 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

No.  His frame is built for D-II.  He can manage an SEC offense, make good decision, and is accurate, but he is not big enough physically to last in FBS.  There is actually an article out there, where the reporter covered Auburn recruiting Sean and why none of the big three schools from his home state bothered to offer the elite 11 mvp a scholarship.  Coaches from each program said the same thing, he can play but he is too small for FBS and they cannot see him staying healthy.  They were right. 

 

Also your reading and comprehension is not very good. I stated above " Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II." Key word built!  I never said he didn't have the talent. 

There were 4 starters in the NFL last year the same size or smaller than SW.  Yeah 4 is not a big number but it is hard to say size is the factor when there are smaller guys playing at the next level.  My point is that you can't count Sean out just because of size.  If SW is starting next year then he beat out a very good QB and we will still have a great backup QB.  If SW is not starting next year, I do believe he will transfer for his final year and it will not likely be a DII school.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites




10 minutes ago, Tiger said:

Yikes that's a bit much, no? This isn't Jeff Klein we're talking about here. What about the games in which he wasn't injured? Surely you weren't vomiting between September through early November, were you?

Maybe that person meant that they'd be scared that he'd break something again? I dunno. Found it an odd response. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
30 minutes ago, muxi87 said:

I'd throw up...I just can't stomach the thought of seeing SW on the field after the GA and OK games last year.  

Geesh! That's pretty harsh. SW is a solid QB and although I think JS takes us further....if it wasn't for SW last year we might would've been looking at another 3-9 type of season. 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I never expected Sean to give up.  He's a competitor and a hard worker.  It's one of the reasons people like him and want him to do well.

But he's not going to be the starter as long as Stidham is healthy.  Period.

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ToomersStreet said:

No.  His frame is built for D-II.  He can manage an SEC offense, make good decision, and is accurate, but he is not big enough physically to last in FBS.  There is actually an article out there, where the reporter covered Auburn recruiting Sean and why none of the big three schools from his home state bothered to offer the elite 11 mvp a scholarship.  Coaches from each program said the same thing, he can play but he is too small for FBS and they cannot see him staying healthy.  They were right. 

 

Also your reading and comprehension is not very good. I stated above " Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II." Key word built!  I never said he didn't have the talent. 

The way you are referencing build is as a physical limitation which to me translates to athletic ability limitation (ie talent). Which is why I extrapolated to my statement. He may not have the "build" to run the read option  or run as much as he was asked to and stay healthy, but he most certainly has the "build" to be a successful SEC/D1 QB. Were any of his injuries from being hit in the pocket? Genuinely asking because I can only seem to remember the Oklahoma one at the moment where he was running.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

There were 4 starters in the NFL last year the same size or smaller than SW.  Yeah 4 is not a big number but it is hard to say size is the factor when there are smaller guys playing at the next level.  My point is that you can't count Sean out just because of size.  If SW is starting next year then he beat out a very good QB and we will still have a great backup QB.  If SW is not starting next year, I do believe he will transfer for his final year and it will not likely be a DII school.

I would say those four are the exception not the rule. 

I, as well as others, are assuming Sean will be the back up, not because of his size necessarily but because he has proven injury prone, and it is assumed my many of us, that Sean gets hurt because of his small frame.  I will be the first to admit if Sean was a couple inches taller and 20ibs bigger he would not only start, but Gus ,may not have needed to go after Stidham(daring statement) and Sean may have an NFL future.  But, currently hie gets hurt because he is small.  Most small guys don't last.  Four are in the NFL and beaten the odds. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

The way you are referencing build is as a physical limitation which to me translates to athletic ability limitation (ie talent). Which is why I extrapolated to my statement. He may not have the "build" to run the read option  or run as much as he was asked to and stay healthy, but he most certainly has the "build" to be a successful SEC/D1 QB. Were any of his injuries from being hit in the pocket? Genuinely asking because I can only seem to remember the Oklahoma one at the moment where he was running.

That is a good point, as I see talent as God given and yes build is just that.  Let me rephrase it.  There is a difference between Skill and Talent.  Sean has the skill set.  Lacks the God given talent.  That being said Tom Brady in my opinion has the skills but his talent isn't a fraction of Cam, Vick, or myself.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I would say those four are the exception not the rule. 

I, as well as others, are assuming Sean will be the back up, not because of his size necessarily but because he has proven injury prone, and it is assumed my many of us, that Sean gets hurt because of his small frame.  I will be the first to admit if Sean was a couple inches taller and 20ibs bigger he would not only start, but Gus ,may not have needed to go after Stidham(daring statement) and Sean may have an NFL future.  But, currently hie gets hurt because he is small.  Most small guys don't last.  Four are in the NFL and beaten the odds. 

If we're basing this on injury history, Stidham only lasted 2.5 games of being the starter at Baylor. White has had 2 healthy starting stints at Auburn longer than that. 

 

All this to say that I think Stidham should be starting, but much more because of his talent and ability to stretch the field than because he's any more durable than White.

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, WDEKC said:

If we're basing this on injury history, Stidham only lasted 2.5 games of being the starter at Baylor. White has had 2 healthy starting stints at Auburn longer than that. 

 

All this to say that I think Stidham should be starting, but much more because of his talent and ability to stretch the field than because he's any more durable than White.

YOU TAKE YOUR FACTS ELSEWHERE!

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To piggy back on a few, Stidz got hurt in HS and in less than 3 games in college. Both our QBs with playing time have proven that they have a tendency to get injured.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 minutes ago, Tiger said:

To piggy back on a few, Stidz got hurt in HS and in less than 3 games in college. Both our QBs with playing time have proven that they have a tendency to get injured.

Let's hope Willis is ready :(

 

Edited by lkeel75
wrong name thanks triangle
1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Let's hope Wallace is ready :(

 

Willis?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Some people just can't let go of the under dog story . Dude is not as talented as JS . PERIOD. Let it go .

Edited by DAG
3 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 minutes ago, ToomersStreet said:

I would say those four are the exception not the rule. 

12.5% is neither an exception nor a rule, not that anyone claimed it to be. 87.5% isn't a rule, either, though. 

Quote

But, currently hie gets hurt because he is small.

That opinion is about 10,000 miles from scientific. Go look at his injury in the bowl game. A broken forearm from a direct collision isn't about size. Some might argue that it's about choices, although my counter point would be that it was more about bad luck (he didn't hurt his head or his shoulder on that play) and bone density. But it's not about size. 

I have no illusions that Sean should be starting over Stidham, but he's big (and mobile, and strong) enough to be an SEC QB. 

 

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
20 minutes ago, WDEKC said:

If we're basing this on injury history, Stidham only lasted 2.5 games of being the starter at Baylor. White has had 2 healthy starting stints at Auburn longer than that. 

 

All this to say that I think Stidham should be starting, but much more because of his talent and ability to stretch the field than because he's any more durable than White.

Stidham missed parts of two games with a hand injury his senior year.  He wasn't injury prone in high school.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not gonna lie; love me some Sean White.  Great kid.  Says and does everything you'd want your QB to do.  I also trust the coaches to select the best playa, and if that's Stidham it will be because Stidham earned it.  If it's White, It'll be because Sean earned it.  Best player plays the most.

 

 

Edited by API
2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think throughout the season you may see MW getting more mop up duty than SW.

I hope there is a lot of mop up duty to go around!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

With everyone healthy and the coaches choose to start SW over JS, my reaction would be surprise and intrigue.  

I like SW as much as the next guy he's a good QB, but realistically he doesn't have the tools to stretch a defense vertically that JS does. And in Chip's (and Gus's for that matter) offense that is a big deal. Plain and simple. 

1 person likes this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Speaking of backups, jf3 is listed in media guide as wr/qb if I read that right! Trying to find it now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think throughout the season you may see MW getting more mop up duty than SW.

Hope not need to save for red shirting

6 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, weagle06 said:

Yesterday Sean tweeted "trust the process" amidst all the preseason hype surrounding Stidham. The tweet has since been removed. 

 

So in reality, what chance does he really have of keeping the starting job? How many QB's have been named to the Maxwell Award watch list before even being named the starter? SEC network ran a graph yesterday showing three schools in SEC that still had a QB competition, Auburn was not listed. 

 

I think White has a far better chance than a great many AU fans give him credit for.  Stidham is the offensive savior du jour, but the thing about folks who try to compare Stidham's passing numbers to White's is that they all seem to discount the hugely different offenses that Stidham played in at Baylor (and in the spring game at AU for that matter) and what White played in here at AU the past two years.  Sean White can slap spin it with accuracy, and I am excited to see what he can do in an offense that calls on him to do more of that.  Regardless, with Stidham/White or White/Stidham, I feel really, really good about the QB situation at AU this year.  If one should go down, we have another that we know is capable to come in.

The smart money says Stidham starts.  I'm going with the long odds. White is a gamer, the team loves him and I think it's 50/50 that he wins the job outright in fall camp.

Edited by CleCoTiger

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, DAG said:

Some people just can't let go of the under dog story . Dude is not as talented as JS . PERIOD. Let it go .

Never mistake opinion for fact.  White and Stidham are different players with some differences in skills. I don't know that one is much if any better than the other and I won't know until I see both of them running the same kind of offense.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
27 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

Never mistake opinion for fact.  White and Stidham are different players with some differences in skills. I don't know that one is much if any better than the other and I won't know until I see both of them running the same kind of offense.

Well you keep on sitting there and waiting while the rest of us keep on with reality .

4 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Just a thought...Stidham played in ten games at Baylor and had 36 carries and 70 yards. Some might have been sacks I guess. 

So....how do we know he is injury resistant?....and those few carries hardly qualifies a guy as a DT....or unbreakable.    Are we over hyping our QB...again...?

2 people like this

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just a thought...Stidham played in ten games at Baylor and had 36 carries and 70 yards. Some might have been sacks I guess. 

So....how do we know he is injury resistant?....and those few carries hardly qualifies a guy as a DT....or unbreakable.    Are we over hyping our QB...again...?

He is definitely not a great or even good running QB. He is very average in my opinion. He does know how to slide, thankfully, unlike White whom always looked awkward sliding. Maybe it will keep Stidham from getting an unnecessary injury.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0