Sean White not quitting just yet

weagle06

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just a thought...Stidham played in ten games at Baylor and had 36 carries and 70 yards. Some might have been sacks I guess. 

So....how do we know he is injury resistant?....and those few carries hardly qualifies a guy as a DT....or unbreakable.    Are we over hyping our QB...again...?

Pray a lot....................................

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 hours ago, toddc said:

Fan base reaction if SW named the starting qb???!!!

He kinda resembles the new Spiderman, no ? 

5 hours ago, muxi87 said:

I'd throw up...I just can't stomach the thought of seeing SW on the field after the GA and OK games last year.  

That may be, but there have been years in our recent past that we would've done anything to have a QB as competent as him on our roster. See 2012 for instance. 

10 hours ago, toddc said:

Fan base reaction if SW named the starting qb???!!!

Channeling my inner Viper: "Auburn switching to the Sun Belt?"

If SW were named starter I would assume that he earned it.....is that unreasonable. :dunno:

I personally don't care which QB starts, as long as it is the one who gives us the best shot to win. I don't think we know enough yet to say who that is. What I do care about is the fact that people are putting SW down and speaking as if he is not a capable QB. That kid is a warrior. He plays with skill, intelligence, and guts. He's had some bad breaks and played in a failing offense. I will admit that I am excited to see what Stidham can do, but we owe respect to SW. He has earned that. May the best man win. :cheers:

SW is good. JS is probably as good but a little bigger maybe stronger. Going off the deep balls he threw in the spring game, I have no doubt JS is the guy. If he gets injured we are not in bad shape at all with Sean. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Sean is not really put together to make the plays he got injured on. But he ain't scared to try. If he was either a little scared or a little smarter about it we'd be better off. Saying he is not built for it has nothing to do with measurables. 

4 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Hope not need to save for red shirting

I think you see it for a few reasons. He seems to have a lot of upside; very talented and while we are talking about it more talent than SW. Let MW get some playing time in case of JS being a one and done. Secondly it shows Fields that a freshman can play and it also creates 2 years of gap between MW and Fields if Fields comes and he is redshirted. A lot of "ifs" but just some thought behind it. 

14 minutes ago, alexava said:

SW is good. JS is probably as good but a little bigger maybe stronger. Going off the deep balls he threw in the spring game, I have no doubt JS is the guy. If he gets injured we are not in bad shape at all with Sean. I have nothing bad to say about either of them. Sean is not really put together to make the plays he got injured on. But he ain't scared to try. If he was either a little scared or a little smarter about it we'd be better off. Saying he is not built for it has nothing to do with measurables. 

This is one of the main factors for me between the two. They've both been injured but JS allows us to stretch the field. He opens up the playbook which in turn only makes our running game even more lethal. I don't expect or desire for us to be pass heavy but if we truly want to win the SEC and be a big factor in the playoffs the QB is going to have to be able to make plays down the field accurately and consistently against the better defenses. It's going to take a QB that can stress defenses like Bama, Ohio State, Clemson...USC. Chad Kelly...Johnny Football...Cam...Nick...Deshaun. They all put pressure on Bama's secondary in addition to being a running threat.  All won against Bama. 

4 hours ago, DAG said:

Well you keep on sitting there and waiting while the rest of us keep on with reality .

LOL's!   Rule of thumb is that anyone who says they are the arbiter of reality likely isn't.  You pretend to know that which you can't. Have fun with that.

36 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

LOL's!   Rule of thumb is that anyone who says they are the arbiter of reality likely isn't.  You pretend to know that which you can't. Have fun with that.

And I guess you do with your 50/50 prediction? Let's see how that plays out once JS is named the starter come fall. Anybody remotely who doesn't have an agenda or Bias can see JS has more talent than SW. Whether that translate on the field is another story . He has proven he can be just as accurate and has a much better deep ball. I am willing to even bet he may be a slightly better runner. Also, can you post about SW without using the word gamer? You have overplayed that card by now. 

Sound like Skip Bayless with his affatuation with Tebow.

I'm going to assume that the coaches will want to see them both in fall practice before making a decision and I'm fine with that. (1) New offensive scheme with talent at receiver and returning RBs, and (2) let's not forget that SW also works with an outside QB coach this summer. SW may be better suited to this offense than the old offense. And SW has more game experience, and against SEC defenses. So even though Stidham has received all the hype, I'm not gonna rule SW out.

5 hours ago, 3rdgeneration said:

I personally don't care which QB starts, as long as it is the one who gives us the best shot to win. I don't think we know enough yet to say who that is. What I do care about is the fact that people are putting SW down and speaking as if he is not a capable QB. That kid is a warrior. He plays with skill, intelligence, and guts. He's had some bad breaks and played in a failing offense. I will admit that I am excited to see what Stidham can do, but we owe respect to SW. He has earned that. May the best man win. :cheers:

Well, he played the most important position on a that "failing" offense. I saw all I needed to last year. Gus never trusted him enough to open the offense. There is a reason for that. 

I am a fan of Sean White. He has the smarts, the heart and he is an accurate passer on short to mid-range passes.  We can win a lot of games with a HEALTHY Sean White.  Like several have already pointed out in this thread Sean does not throw the deep ball very well.  In order to beat the elite teams on our schedule we have to be able to stretch the field vertically.  I think Stidham may just be the guy we have needed to make that happen based on what I saw in the spring game.  Combined with a promising but young group of receivers and returning linemen and running backs we should be much improved on the offensive side of the football

What I'm thrilled about is that we now have two good ones ready to play.  I think both are going to play a lot regardless of who starts.  That puts us light years ahead of where we have been the past two years.  And from what I saw in the spring game Willis is also going to be a good one for us when his time comes.  

5 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

Well, he played the most important position on a that "failing" offense. I saw all I needed to last year. Gus never trusted him enough to open the offense. There is a reason for that. 

Sean's abilities have limits but he was the best QB last season and you have to play to your strengths and know your limits. Gus and Sean both knew the limits and the offense reflected that. I'm glad we had him last season. I'd hate to think what the W-L record would have been without him. As it says in Ecclesiastes, to everything there is a season. This season should be Stidham's and with a little luck too it may be Auburn's too. 

13 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I think Sean sees the writing on the wall.

mene mene tekel upharsin

12 hours ago, fredst said:

Channeling my inner Viper: "Auburn switching to the Sun Belt?"

Now, now,

don't be an asp.

6 hours ago, mikeholiday said:

Huh? 

When Sean was healthy and was actually allowed to be a normal starting QB (i.e., not the Clemson game), and once we decided who our best center was, the offense was quite good*. Like, really good. And Sean was really good, particularly given that his receivers were almost exclusively freshmen. (Adding to the myth that Sean can't throw the deep ball was at least one occasion that a freshman ran the wrong route.) No, we weren't playing the best defenses in the country at the time, but we were curb stomping SEC football teams. 

When the offense was "failing", it was when Sean was unhealthy and/or Gus was doing wacky crap like the Clemson game. Speaking of, what was the reason for *that*? You seem to have implicit faith in Gus's decision making last year, and we've all been begging for an explanation for that for almost a year now, so help us out. Shed some light on the John Franklin thing while you're at it. 

*Edit: Meant to add that Rhett had no problem opening the offense with Sean in there. As a result, we won the hell out of some football games. 

I just want Sean White to have a fair chance competing in Fall camp and may the best man win.  His biggest ding was his durability, and apparently he has put on 20 lbs (hopefully good weight).  I will cheer for either QB on the field.  52 days away...

On 7/11/2017 at 10:23 AM, gr82b4au said:

It will not happen unless JS sustains some type of injury. JS will be the starter. 

Side note: While I do think Stidham will be very good, I find it fascinating that he has been named to these watch lists without even playing a meaningful down for AU. He has more hype coming in than ANY QB I can remember. Cam had hype from the fans, but even he was not on the Maxwell watch list. This morning Chuck Oliver (has a football show) said Stidham was the best QB in the SEC coming into the season. 

I do remember JJ coming in with Heisman hype.

Surely this will play out better...........

12 minutes ago, AUGoo said:

I do remember JJ coming in with Heisman hype.

Surely this will play out better...........

It will. Not saying that Stidham will be great, but he won't be historically bad, either. CLL is his coach. He won't be taking snaps from a guy who's never played center before. He won't have 2015 Duke Williams as his "best" receiver to start the season, but instead a *very* talented group of sophomores and even a couple experienced-if-not-accomplished upper classmen. He won't have exclusively freshmen at RB, HB and TE.  His best RB won't be on the sidelines having to be restrained from yelling at the head coach. 

In other words, nothing that contributed to JJ's epic collapse- starting, but not ending, with JJ's own issues- still applies. 

Just wondering how many games were Pettway and KJ playing hurt or not at all ? ...and that did not contribute to the "failing offense"...?

Archived