Sean White not quitting just yet

weagle06

36 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Just wondering how many games were Pettway and KJ playing hurt or not at all ? ...and that did not contribute to the "failing offense"...?

KJ had 11 carries or less in 6 games.

KP had 12 carries or less in 5 games. Sadly, he had 0 carries in 2 games where he was completely healthy. 

• Replies 140
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think the decision was made the day Stidham signed with us. Seems everyone (except those on this board) knows who the starter is. Regardless if it's been announced or not. White is without question a good talent. Stidham is an elite talent. Huge difference between the two. Stidham can connect the deep ball with ease. Everyone holds their breath when White throws it deep. White can without question connect on the short pass, but we can't just throw the short pass. We need to have an intermediate and deep passing game. This is what separates the two.

On 7/11/2017 at 11:06 AM, ToomersStreet said:

Trust the process?   I trust Chip Lindsey. Sean has a high football IQ but is built for D-II.  In reality, he will probably be able to making a convincing performance to be the starter in practice.  On the field however, we all know he physically won't last the season.  Stidham will start.  Sean will be a back up and probably get mop up duties.  Then become a graduate transfer.  Stidham could get drafted and we will continue to be thin a QB for the immediate future.    As some on here have pointed out Gus has not done well anticipating attrition but I think Chip understands this better at the QB position, which is why he wants to QB's signed this class.   I am also pumped about Chip because we wont have to deal the Gus's "Packages" for the QB that didn't win the starting job but Gus feels the need to play him anyways. 

No one could of anticipated Woody not working out and transferring so early. That isn't on Gus. 

18 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

That may be, but there have been years in our recent past that we would've done anything to have a QB as competent as him on our roster. See 2012 for instance. 

I am sure I'm in the minority with this statement (maybe the only person on the planet who thinks so) but i don't lay the failure in 2012 on the Fraizer and the QB position. I lay the blame on Chizik. He had recruited for the spread from day 1 at Auburn. He had an entire line-up recruited for the spread, including the QB position. Frazier was not recruited to run the pro style. He had run the Gus offense his entire career. When he was thrust into the starting position, the playbook was radically different than ANY offense he had ever run. Chizik tried forcing round players into a square hole. The mistake was the OC hire and the radical change of play style. 

Imagine Nick Marshall being forced into a pro style offense. Marshall wouldn't of led us to the national championship. He would of had similar results as Frazier. Had we hired a spread OC and continued to run a play style that he was recruited to run, the results would of been significantly different. We could have Tom Brady on our roster and asking him to run the type of offense we run, we would have a similar season as 2012. 

You recruit players for a certain style and run that offense. You don't radically change the playbook and expect exceptional play. It doesn't work like that. Chizik and his OC hire (and his playbook) are the blame for 2012, not the kids recruited to play a significantly different style of offense.

18 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

I think Sean sees the writing on the wall.

May be the most intelligent post I've ever seen you write.

Would not have expected Sean to lay down and quit.  Fact is Sean has shown to be a very good QB when healthy but could we ever count on him staying healthy for a full season?  Lets me blunt here too, Stidham was not brought in to be a backup QB.  Gus needs to win now and thats why JS is here.  I respect and admire Sean for his grit and competitive spirit but like most of you I would be shocked if he wins the job. 

11 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

You recruit players for a certain style and run that offense. You don't radically change the playbook and expect exceptional play. It doesn't work like that. Chizik and his OC hire (and his playbook) are the blame for 2012, not the kids recruited to play a significantly different style of offense.

I don't disagree with your post but the point I was making apparently got lost in context. KF transferred and never played another meaningful snap at QB at the D1 level. Of the other two starters, one finished his career as a WR and the other never won an SEC game as a starter and could not have started for any other SEC team. None of them ever had multiple 250 yard games and notched big wins like SW has. My point is that it's okay to favor JS in the QB race but some are saying some very critical things about SW. My take is let's be grateful we have another QB on the roster in SW who has a lot of experience and some SEC wins under his belt. WDE!

Just now, Gowebb11 said:

I don't disagree with your post but the point I was making apparently got lost in context. KF transferred and never played another meaningful snap at QB at the D1 level. Of the other two starters, one finished his career as a WR and the other never won an SEC game as a starter and could not have started for any other SEC team. None of them ever had multiple 250 yard games and notched big wins like SW has. My point is that it's okay to favor JS in the QB race but some are saying some very critical things about SW. My take is let's be grateful we have another QB on the roster in SW who has a lot of experience and some SEC wins under his belt. WDE!

I agree, but in all honesty after his 2012 season, who in their right mind of even given him a shot? 

And I am right with you. I don't think there is a snowball's chance in Hades White wins the starting job, but either way, I feel we will have one of the best backups in the nation this season. Let's just hope the starter can make it the entire season and the backup is just used for mop up duty.

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It will. Not saying that Stidham will be great, but he won't be historically bad, either. CLL is his coach. He won't be taking snaps from a guy who's never played center before. He won't have 2015 Duke Williams as his "best" receiver to start the season, but instead a *very* talented group of sophomores and even a couple experienced-if-not-accomplished upper classmen. He won't have exclusively freshmen at RB, HB and TE.  His best RB won't be on the sidelines having to be restrained from yelling at the head coach. 

In other words, nothing that contributed to JJ's epic collapse- starting, but not ending, with JJ's own issues- still applies. 

How many times do we have to say this? So ready for the season to start so this can stop.

Just now, WFE12 said:

How many times do we have to say this? So ready for the season to start so this can stop.

QB threads are like crack to me, except not at first when it feels good. Only like years down the road, when it isn't fun anymore and it makes me feel dirty but I still can't stop doing it. 

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

QB threads are like crack to me, except not at first when it feels good. Only like years down the road, when it isn't fun anymore and it makes me feel dirty but I still can't stop doing it. 

Cannot like, but can relate:

52 minutes ago, Auburn2Eugene said:

No one could of anticipated Woody not working out and transferring so early. That isn't on Gus.

Yeah, or Johnson, or JF3, or Queen

45 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

KJ had 11 carries or less in 6 games.

KP had 12 carries or less in 5 games. Sadly, he had 0 carries in 2 games where he was completely healthy. 

Thanks for the response.  That was more or less a rhetorical question .....was just curious that the " failing offense" was pretty much being laid on SW...and not much mention of the impact of the anemic running game that plagued us much of the season.  

Hopefully our quarterback this year will have a running game...every game... that has the capability of keeping the defense honest.   have high hopes for J S  but if he is forced to run an offense with no running game , it could be a long year for him too.

In many ways, I am more concerned about the health of our primary running backs than whether JS  or SW starts as the quarterback. 

3 minutes ago, AU64 said:

Thanks for the response.  That was more or less a rhetorical question .....was just curious that the " failing offense" was pretty much being laid on SW...and not much mention of the impact of the anemic running game that plagued us much of the season.  

Hopefully our quarterback this year will have a running game...every game... that has the capability of keeping the defense honest.   have high hopes for J S  but if he is forced to run an offense with no running game , it could be a long year for him too.

In many ways, I am more concerned about the health of our primary running backs than whether JS  or SW starts as the quarterback. 

I hear ya. Very under-the-radar story from last year was Malik Miller's injury. 

We lost a Truitt and gained a Barrett in the offseason. We'll have Alaric Williams available, too. That's 5  "traditional" bodies + Martin. 

Definitely have to hope Cox stays healthy, too, though. 

Last year's LSU game is a nice microcosm of SW - good when healthy but rattled after getting knocked around or when receivers don't perform. Sean's tweet just shows the man's self-confidence and that the coach's will be more objective than media or fan QB hype.

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I hear ya. Very under-the-radar story from last year was Malik Miller's injury. 

We lost a Truitt and gained a Barrett in the offseason. We'll have Alaric Williams available, too. That's 5  "traditional" bodies + Martin. 

Definitely have to hope Cox stays healthy, too, though. 

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Alaric didnt qualify.

1 minute ago, AU80cruiser said:

Sorry to be the bearer of bad news but Alaric didnt qualify.

Oh crap, that's right. Jerk. ;)

If anyone needs me, I'll be over here with my head in the sand. 

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

It will. Not saying that Stidham will be great, but he won't be historically bad, either. CLL is his coach. He won't be taking snaps from a guy who's never played center before. He won't have 2015 Duke Williams as his "best" receiver to start the season, but instead a *very* talented group of sophomores and even a couple experienced-if-not-accomplished upper classmen. He won't have exclusively freshmen at RB, HB and TE.  His best RB won't be on the sidelines having to be restrained from yelling at the head coach. 

In other words, nothing that contributed to JJ's epic collapse- starting, but not ending, with JJ's own issues- still applies. 

I'm just excited about the WR!

I really like SW.  Most of us do. Most of us also realize JS has a better upside. It was obvious coming out of HS, and it's obvious now. I think we can win with either, but JS can stretch the field vertically and open up the run game a little more.  The more important components to me are Chip Lindsey and Al Borges. Can we get our offense to look a little more like 2004 with Jason Campbell than the 2013 version with Nick Marshall.  I believe our personnel matches up better with the former, particularly at QB, but also with the WR's.  I do hope we can involve the RB's and TE in the passing game.

13 minutes ago, johnnyAU said:

I really like SW.  Most of us do. Most of us also realize JS has a better upside. It was obvious coming out of HS, and it's obvious now. I think we can win with either, but JS can stretch the field vertically and open up the run game a little more.  The more important components to me are Chip Lindsey and Al Borges. Can we get our offense to look a little more like 2004 with Jason Campbell than the 2013 version with Nick Marshall.  I believe our personnel matches up better with the former, particularly at QB, but also with the WR's.  I do hope we can involve the RB's and TE in the passing game.

So...Will we have one or two RBs with at least 1000 yards of total offense..?

I'll say we have at least one with at least a combined 1,000 yds, and a few others above 500 combined, if the offense looks like I hope it does.  That's with a healthy Pettway, Miller, KJ and Kam, not to mention WR's that can run like Stove. 

I also think we may get our first 1.000 yd WR in 20 years. I know Darvin came within 3 yards one year.  I'd also like our TE's to get North of 20 catches combined. 

I don't think that's too much to expect with this style and these weapons.  Perhaps the 1,000 WR is a little lofty, but a man can dream. 

Who really knows? I'm just looking forward to veering away from the reliance on the zone read and opening up the passing game a little. Gotta back off those D's from stuffing the box. 

Even with Lindsey I see us as a run heavy offense with passes distributed to a number of receivers ...including KJ out of the backfield.  I don't see us in an air raid type offense....still thinking ball control to some extent....with ability to mount long multi play drives. 

Me too.  The "Gulf Coast" offense we used in 2004 was hardly an air raid.  We had like 3,086 passing yds, 25 TD's and 2,383 rushing yds, 27 TD's.   Last year it was almost reversed, with 2203 passing, 12 TD's and 3527 rushing, 33 TD's.  I don't know the breakdown of OOC vs SEC opponents. 

I would like to see a version a little more like 2004 where we are comfortable enough to pass when the D tries to take away the run.  We also utilized the RB's and TE's in the passing game much better, which was crucial to getting both Williams and Brown more touches.

No way am I asking for a Texas Tech/Washington State style attack. 

BTW, 2009 was pretty balanced as well.  We had 2857 yds passing, 25 TD's and 2756 yds rushing, 24 TD's.  We had 1 RB with 1400+ yds combined (Tate),  and at least 3 players with more than 500 yds combined (McCalebb, Fannin, Zachary), a WR with 997 yds (Adams), and our TE's (Trott and Lutz) had a combined 16 catches for 200+ yds.  Not too shabby.

I think one of the funniest things in this thread  is that I read a lot of comments about SW being a very good P5 QB when he is healthy ( which he has some very good games) but then a lot of commenters seem to say Gus can't develop high school talent. So which is it? Can't be both ways.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I think one of the funniest things in this thread  is that I read a lot of comments about SW being a very good P5 QB when he is healthy ( which he has some very good games) but then a lot of commenters seem to say Gus can't develop high school talent. So which is it? Can't be both ways.

We didn't "re-home" Rhett Lashlee and hire Chip Lindsey because the 2015-16 staff were getting it done in the passing department. 

Sean was an extremely polished passer coming in. That's why the tiny, slow, noodle-armed QB that some of the idiots around here would have you believe he is won MVP in both the Elite 11 camp and the Under Armour All-America game, and why Mastrole and Dilfer were so effusive in their praise of him. I mean, any one of those things could be a fluke on their own, but not all of them. 

Also, keep in mind that Gus has only let Sean run the offense when he has exhausted every other option, to include a 3* athlete who wasn't even a full time starter in JUCO. To say that Sean never earned Gus's trust- despite earning that of his teammates and his former offensive coordinator/supposed yes man to Gus- is a hefty understatement. 

So, with respect, it absolutely can be both ways. Sean's successes at Auburn have in large part been despite Gus, not because of him.

Archived