2018 4* RB James Cook

ellitor

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, corchjay said:

As noted it will be an uphill battle for Cook but he is listening and that's the best we can hope at this point.  For talents like this you spend the time to recruit if they are listening when they don't seem interested you move on but for now I think he is interested in what coach Porter is selling.  Let's see how it plays out.  I'd still put it 75% dawgs and 25% another team with Auburn being one of those.  

Looks more like we gotta get mom to listen. Remember she has to sign the NLI too.

• 3 weeks later...

Any news on Cook?  Maybe some good news here could trigger DP to commit or Cook chooses AU...

I would rather have cook if i had to choose between the two just to have a back with a different running style. Then find a power next year if we have no one that commits this year. 

2 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I would rather have cook if i had to choose between the two just to have a back with a different running style. Then find a power next year if we have no one that commits this year. 

I am confused...different than whom?  Neither is like Shaun Shivers, our only committed RB.

DP is 'like' Kam Pettway, but nowhere near that level of back.  They do have some similarities, but not fair to make that comapison yet.  

I am not testy, just confused.

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

I am confused...different than whom?  Neither is like Shaun Shivers, our only committed RB.

DP is 'like' Kam Pettway, but nowhere near that level of back.  They do have some similarities, but not fair to make that comapison yet.  

I am not testy, just confused.

I'm saying Cook is different from all the backs we have on roster including ones we have committed. He is a game changer and I'd love to get him even if it meant not having a chance with DP. (He already decommitted from bama because of depth)

10 hours ago, AU80cruiser said:

I'm saying Cook is different from all the backs we have on roster including ones we have committed. He is a game changer and I'd love to get him even if it meant not having a chance with DP. (He already decommitted from bama because of depth)

Gotcha now....two of the guys on here said Cook's upside is the highest between the two.  I still prefer DP because of his physicality and I envision him blossoming into a great SEC caliber back.  I will go back and rewatch Cook's video.  The SEC is so physical.  Durability comes from being a 'hoss'.  

EDIT:  just rewatched both.  I get it, but I have a dif opinion.  Give me DP.  Cook just scores TD's....haha. Can't go wrong with either.

23 minutes ago, Beaker said:

Gotcha now....two of the guys on here said Cook's upside is the highest between the two.  I still prefer DP because of his physicality and I envision him blossoming into a great SEC caliber back.  I will go back and rewatch Cook's video.  The SEC is so physical.  Durability comes from being a 'hoss'.  

EDIT:  just rewatched both.  I get it, but I have a dif opinion.  Give me DP.  Cook just scores TD's....haha. Can't go wrong with either.

Im more about variety and having multiple style backs to attack defenses from different angles. We need a Damien Pierce and I really like him but Malik Miller could get us through a season or two before he leaves. Best case is we could get both this cycle but if I had to choose it would be the more dynamic back considering what we have on roster at this point. 

7 minutes ago, AU80cruiser said:

Im more about variety and having multiple style backs to attack defenses from different angles. We need a Damien Pierce and I really like him but Malik Miller could get us through a season or two before he leaves. Best case is we could get both this cycle but if I had to choose it would be the more dynamic back considering what we have on roster at this point. 

I don't think we could get both....E has said we are only taking 2 and Shivers is already on board and buckled up.  That's the way I heard it. I get your point about Malik, good point.  

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

I don't think we could get both....E has said we are only taking 2 and Shivers is already on board and buckled up.  That's the way I heard it. I get your point about Malik, good point.  

If we could get these two we'd certainly take both plus Shivers. Such statements as "we're only taking X many at Y position" are always flexible depending on who we might land.

JMO but I think Miller is better suited for H-back. If it was up to me I would take both DP and JC, if we could get them.

I haven't heard anything new on Cook but my source to the situation is getting busy with his upcoming season along with who he communicates with.  Last I heard Cook is listening and Porter is working him as much as could be expected.  

Not excited about our RB recruiting for 2018. Hope Horton has a "side piece" he has been keeping warm JIC.

Outside of the Top 3 or so, wasn't a stellar RB class to begin with.

BJ Emmons is still out there in JUCO, but he has issues that I'm not sure we want to gamble on after Jovon. 

Nothing has changed on Cook.  Still the same Uga might have a slight lead on FSU.  AU a distant 3rd at best.  Porter and Horton have both worked on him extremely hard but he doesn't give them much in return.  Once the season starts maybe it opens his eyes but as of now I'd put the chance of landing him at less then 10%.  I'm not sure how much more time once things get rolling in the season they will invest in him.  Sorry to be the downer.

Asa Martin and Cook are very similar type backs.  Cook might be a little faster Martin a little more physical but very similar styles.  

On 8/7/2017 at 8:46 AM, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

FSU vs uga battle right now. AU on the outside looking in. uga is leading. 

This. Also if Porter can pull Cook he earns every bit of his paycheck. 

1 hour ago, auburn4ever said:

How many of you think we'll sign 2 RB's instead of just 1.

2-3.  Depending on who we get attention from.  We won't go very far down the board to get a 3rd.  Smoke/Butterbean would be about as far as we would go down for a 2.  Anything past them we wouldn't get a 3rd and I expect someone in the Sr year will blow up at RB over the season in the southeast.  Sad the best rushing team in the Southeast is having to try to find diamonds in the rough but we are getting to that point.  Not trashing on Horton but he's getting whipped this year.  

I doubt Pierce will remain on our board much longer since committing to UF.  I don't think we will put the effort in on him.  Martin we have a good shot at.  Us or Bama basically.  Teague/Cook are both wishful thinking at this point.  Also seems we are trailing all the big time backs going into 2019 recruiting as well.  I know sounds crazy to think but maybe we are on Ford's radar and I think that might be it.  

18 minutes ago, corchjay said:

2-3.  Depending on who we get attention from.  We won't go very far down the board to get a 3rd.  Smoke/Butterbean would be about as far as we would go down for a 2.  Anything past them we wouldn't get a 3rd and I expect someone in the Sr year will blow up at RB over the season in the southeast.  Sad the best rushing team in the Southeast is having to try to find diamonds in the rough but we are getting to that point.  Not trashing on Horton but he's getting whipped this year.  

I doubt Pierce will remain on our board much longer since committing to UF.  I don't think we will put the effort in on him.  Martin we have a good shot at.  Us or Bama basically.  Teague/Cook are both wishful thinking at this point.  Also seems we are trailing all the big time backs going into 2019 recruiting as well.  I know sounds crazy to think but maybe we are on Ford's radar and I think that might be it.  

I am a homer, but I still don't get it.  I know we aren't having RBs drafted in round 1, but we are getting RBs drafted when they come out

Just now, Beaker said:

I am a homer, but I still don't get it.  I know we aren't having RBs drafted in round 1, but we are getting RBs drafted when they come out

Rarely do RBs get drafted in the 1st round anymore.  I know I wouldn't regardless of how talented.  You can still get a quality back in the 3-4 rounds.  What did D. Henry go, 2nd round?  

Maybe negative recruiting by saying we over work our primary back.  Long term I'd say 18 carries a game average is a good number.  Not 27-30.  Just to much damage to the body now.  

Archived