The Myth of the Lopsided Rivalry

OnthePlains

If you want to make it even more interesting, look at the numbers BEFORE Bryant at bama.  Bryant was something like 19-6 vs AU, but BEFORE and AFTER his reign we have more than held our own.

During the Bryant years the attitude was kind of like the saban years in that the feeling was it is just this way because we are bama.  Our program is just better. This is just who we are.  The reality is pre-Bryant AU was as good or better.  And we have held our own in the post-Bryant era, despite the fact that saban has been allowed to play by a different set of rules and pretty much own college football.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, DunderMifflin said:

If you want to make it even more interesting, look at the numbers BEFORE Bryant at bama.  Bryant was something like 19-6 vs AU, but BEFORE and AFTER his reign we have more than held our own.

During the Bryant years the attitude was kind of like the saban years in that the feeling was it is just this way because we are bama.  Our program is just better. This is just who we are.  The reality is pre-Bryant AU was as good or better.  And we have held our own in the post-Bryant era, despite the fact that saban has been allowed to play by a different set of rules and pretty much own college football.

Sad to say but true. Probably won't change until there is a new person in charge of the ncaa...without any ties to >:D or bama.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:35 PM, McLoofus said:

All due respect to the OP, way too many qualifiers. You're treading dangerously close to living in the past. You also sound like they did when Tuberville was kicking their sanctioned arses every season. Speaking of, if you're going to sidestep the current saban run, then you should probably drop that Tuberville run, too. 

Let's leave names out of it. The last 10 years, it's bama 7, Auburn 3. That's more than 2-1. That's pretty lopsided. What's even worse, is that they've outscored us 339-183 in those games. They're beating us 34-18 going back 10 years, and that includes our 3 wins in that time. They pitched a shutout in 2 of those games.

I don't care if saban is walking that far sideline with the ghost of paul bryant on one shoulder and Darth Vader on the other. They currently own us and we should be doing much better against him. 

Agreed, but a lot of Bama people talk as if it has always been like it is now. Since Bear retired or Dye arrived we are very even with them in head to head matchups. 18-18 since Dye and 9-8 this century   As much as I dislike the Tide, few teams if any can boast of that kind of head to head parity with them for that long. And the perception with Bammers and the national press is that they rule is.  They don't.  We will be back on top soon  WDE!

Dye    6-6

Bowden    3-3

Tubs  7-3

Chiz  1-3

Gus   1-3

On 7/12/2017 at 1:41 PM, gr82be said:

One thing that bugs me is that in my 47 years of being an Auburn fan is the fact that we haven't beaten them soundly. 10 point margin has been the best we could do. I would love to see a rout. 1969 was a blowout but a little before my awareness of Auburn football. The first quarter of the 05 game was a cruel joke by Tuberville because I thought it was finally going to happen. It was not to be. :angry:

That doesn't bother me because when we beat them especially lately it is in such spectacular fashion that they can never forget and they never get over the loss. All bammer has is that goal line thing against Penn State way back in the past and nobody talks about it now. 2010 was the Iron Bowl Cam-back. They still hate us for that. Then of course there's the greatest Iron Bowl defeat ever....The Kick Six. That was an epic win and will always be the most famous. Auburn also has Bo the greatest athlete ever and the Bo Over the Top game. These games are still discussed and they belong to Auburn. When bammer beats AU it's nothing much because it's usually when things aren't lined up right for our team's season anyway. I think we deal them bigger blows in the long run.

On 7/12/2017 at 2:41 PM, gr82be said:

One thing that bugs me is that in my 47 years of being an Auburn fan is the fact that we haven't beaten them soundly. 10 point margin has been the best we could do. I would love to see a rout. 1969 was a blowout but a little before my awareness of Auburn football. The first quarter of the 05 game was a cruel joke by Tuberville because I thought it was finally going to happen. It was not to be. :angry:

Oh we have beaten them soundly but unfortunately most of you were not around. Our 1957 National Championship team beat them 40-0 at Legion Field on that cold November  day and the next year Bear appeared on the scene. I agree with Tigerbelle that we have handed bama  some of the most embarrassing losses in college football. Those mean more to me than cherry picking periods of time for comparison. 

WDE

On 7/12/2017 at 1:41 PM, gr82be said:

We seldom beat any solid opponent by a large margin. We haven't had and don't have the hosses to simply dominate major opponents. Unless the other team is in some sort of internal disarray we have to out-tough them and that doesn't lead to wining by 30+ points.

8 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

That doesn't bother me because when we beat them especially lately it is in such spectacular fashion that they can never forget and they never get over the loss. All bammer has is that goal line thing against Penn State way back in the past and nobody talks about it now. 2010 was the Iron Bowl Cam-back. They still hate us for that. Then of course there's the greatest Iron Bowl defeat ever....The Kick Six. That was an epic win and will always be the most famous. Auburn also has Bo the greatest athlete ever and the Bo Over the Top game. These games are still discussed and they belong to Auburn. When bammer beats AU it's nothing much because it's usually when things aren't lined up right for our team's season anyway. I think we deal them bigger blows in the long run.

As well as punt Bama punt.

Yes, I would much rather put the dagger in their heart than curb stomp them. Can't imagine being on their side of the kick six and in it's own way the punt bama punt ending was just as spectacular. I was at that game and we would never have scored the touchdowns without running in both punts! And the Cam back may be my all time favorite. They were absolutely giddy before halftime. Nothing better than beating the bammers!

They have just as many memorable games as us.   Van Tiffins kick, bo the wrong way and many others.    Sweet victory is different in everyone's eyes.   A good butt whooping is just as sweet as a kick six, in my opinion.   During the Dye era,  auburn missed out on a big opportunity to even up the overall record.  I don't believe in choosing when to rate the series and what timeframe to take into account.  Both programs have been on probation and have had their share of cheating.  

Saban is an a$$hole and I hope this season is the beginning of the downfall 

3 hours ago, aubaseball said:

They have just as many memorable games as us.   Van Tiffins kick, bo the wrong way and many others.    Sweet victory is different in everyone's eyes.   A good butt whooping is just as sweet as a kick six, in my opinion.   During the Dye era,  auburn missed out on a big opportunity to even up the overall record.  I don't believe in choosing when to rate the series and what timeframe to take into account.  Both programs have been on probation and have had their share of cheating.  

Saban is an a$$hole and I hope this season is the beginning of the downfall 

I disagree. VT's kick didn't get the enormous national attention that the Kick Six did. Chris Davis is immortalized! And Auburn has never had their arrogance. It hurts them so much more because football is their whole identity. I actually had bammers that refused to speak to me for a solid year after the Kick Six because  they couldn't face that loss. Watching the hot air go out of all those hounds-toothed rednecks is just priceless. Building them up and then.....CRUSHED!!!  A beat down never lets them get to that point. 

15 minutes ago, Tigerbelle said:

I disagree. VT's kick didn't get the enormous national attention that the Kick Six did. Chris Davis is immortalized! And Auburn has never had their arrogance. It hurts them so much more because football is their whole identity. I actually had bammers that refused to speak to me for a solid year after the Kick Six because  they couldn't face that loss. Watching the hot air go out of all those hounds-toothed rednecks is just priceless. Building them up and then.....CRUSHED!!!  A beat down never lets them get to that point. 

Things like the Kick Six, 2010 Cam Back and Punt Bama Punt would be even sweeter it we didn't have to wait multiple years between miracles.

wde

Teams that have had it worse than Auburn vs Bama

LSU 11 straight loses worst streak plus a current 6 year streak

51-25 Bama

Tennessee 11 straight loses worst streak plus current 10 straight lose

53-38 Bama

Auburn 9 straight is the worst with 3 current

45-35 Bama

Ill take Auburn

I just want this toxic series tied before I die.  We were close....I have about 25 yrs left I am thinking.  We better get on it!  Clock is ticking.....that's why I have volunteered to take over coaching duties at Clemson if Gus tries to run Sean or JFIII out there if Jarrett isn't hurt.   Not putting up with that mess again.  

3 hours ago, Win4AU said:

Teams that have had it worse than Auburn vs Bama

LSU 11 straight loses worst streak plus a current 6 year streak

51-25 Bama

Tennessee 11 straight loses worst streak plus current 10 straight lose

53-38 Bama

Auburn 9 straight is the worst with 3 current

45-35 Bama

Ill take Auburn

Exactly, that's what I was getting at with my post in the Fitzpatrick thread in the Rivals section. Auburn has been their most worthy opponent among their "rivals" (and the entire Western division for that matter) recently and historically, even without throwing out the Bryant years. 

If you throw in history, and how much bammer has tried to impede Auburn in every way since it's inception then the record starts to make sense. You shouldn't take it out of context.  bammer has always been furious that Auburn even exists, and the hate for Auburn became quickly institutionalized in West Vance. Auburn is catching up anyway, and one day it will even out. Auburn already passed the updykes in academics a while back despite their interference and denials that Auburn is a much better academic institution.. And as a bonus UAB is in a feud with bammer and has been running some deflection for us....:laugh: 

A lot of you have really beaten around the bush on this thread.  Haha.   I am not ashamed to say it, "I don't like bama and I don't care for their fans."  

They have always felt threatened and have this gruff, in your face attitude.  I tried to be nice to a bama fan at Yellowstone NP and that guy was rude!  In freaking Wyoming!!  And they don't mind being considered rude.  Very strange because 85% of the people in the south are not rude and are very kind/generous.  They are a species all to themselves.  It's like a little part of 'jersey' in the south.   

Sorry if you're from Jersey...they do have a well known stereo-type.  Not fair to dump on the folks from Jersey with my bama comment.  

1 hour ago, Beaker said:

A lot of you have really beaten around the bush on this thread.  Haha.   I am not ashamed to say it, "I don't like bama and I don't care for their fans."  

They have always felt threatened and have this gruff, in your face attitude.  I tried to be nice to a bama fan at Yellowstone NP and that guy was rude!  In freaking Wyoming!!  And they don't mind being considered rude.  Very strange because 85% of the people in the south are not rude and are very kind/generous.  They are a species all to themselves.  It's like a little part of 'jersey' in the south.   

Sorry if you're from Jersey...they do have a well known stereo-type.  Not fair to dump on the folks from Jersey with my bama comment.  

Agree with you on the rudeness. It's their nose in the air attitude. My father is the only Bama fan I like and I think you would too. He is 93 and has a genuine respect for Auburn too and he actually pulls for Auburn in all but the Iron bowl. He never bought me a single red jersey when I was a kid. I liked Auburn and he bought me Auburn jerseys. I can't pull for Bama to save my life. There may be others out there somewhere but they are few and far between. My dad is from a very humble background so he has no idea how to be snobby. 

What the bams conveniently forget is that there was a rivalry before Bear Bryant. In that era, the victories were much more balanced. AU was the better program for years. Then the implosion of the '70s happened... It's time to take it back!! WDE

Other interesting tidbits:

Nick Saban has one (1) undefeated season.

Bama has one more undefeated season than Auburn.

If you think Bama's current run is "unprecedented" or "not likely to happen again soon" your knowledge of college football history - even the modern era - is extremely truncated.

On 7/16/2017 at 11:56 AM, aucanucktiger said:

If you think Bama's current run is "unprecedented" or "not likely to happen again soon" your knowledge of college football history - even the modern era - is extremely truncated.

Well then I guess I should bow to your extensive college football knowledge of the "modern" era and ask who else has amassed a record like 101-18 with 4 nattys, 4 SEC titles and nearly a 5th natty in a 10 year span? And exactly what coach do you think is about to pull that off soon? I would love to hear your predictions for what programs and coaches are about to embark on that kind of run since this one is apparently more likely to be duplicated than my poor inferior knowledge of college football would allow me to recognize oh great and mighty one.

42 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

:-\

No rebuttal? You provided one set of stats, but there are quite a bit of others

On 7/16/2017 at 11:56 AM, aucanucktiger said:

I don't know if it will happen again since Saban isn't through yet which is scary in it's own right but here is evidence that something similar has happened before. "The decade of the 1940’s was a launching pad for the Oklahoma football machine and in the `50’s we’d see it grow into a full fledged monster. Under the direction of Bud Wilkinson the Sooners dominated the decade with a 93-10-2 record, 10 conference championships and 3 national championships."

Archived