AU Legacy players history

steeleagle

I saw on another thread the drooling I'm seeing now for Bo Nix, the QB. Son of Patrick Nix who played QB for us in the past.

I started wondering...how many legacy players of AU greats that have panned out and either been better or played pretty well for us?

I can remember Pat Sullivan and his brother. Not sure if Pat's son ever suited up for us.

Terry Beasley and Jere Beasley. Terry was a legend. Jere was pretty good little RB.

1 hour ago, steeleagle said:

I saw on another thread the drooling I'm seeing now for Bo Nix, the QB. Son of Patrick Nix who played QB for us in the past.

I started wondering...how many legacy players of AU greats that have panned out and either been better or played pretty well for us?

I can remember Pat Sullivan and his brother. Not sure if Pat's son ever suited up for us.

Terry Beasley and Jere Beasley. Terry was a legend. Jere was pretty good little RB.

This was from an article in Saturdays Down South titled "With Auburn, it’s a family thing".  Following in the footsteps of their dads is what a lot of kids do, especially if their dads played football at Auburn.

On Tuesday another son of a former Tiger football player decided to take his talents to the Plains. Stephan Davis Jr., the son for former Auburn running back Stephan Davis, announced on twitter that he was officially committing to Auburn. The No. 4 prospect in South Carolina for 2016 chose the Tigers over Clemson, Florida, Georgia, Missouri, Tennessee, Vanderbilt and South Carolina. Davis Jr. will either play safety or linebacker.

Time for a little Auburn history, class. Here are the most notable Auburn father-son football players.

First is the most obvious: Pat Sullivan and Pat Sullivan Jr. Dad won the Heisman in 1971 and holds the school’s career touchdown passing record with 53. Junior was a back-up quarterbacked for the Tigers in 1993.

Several other sons played the same positions as their fathers. David McClinton played in Auburn’s secondary just like his father, Buddy. Buddy was an All-American in 1969 and is still Auburn’s all-time leader in interceptions with 18. There are three generations from the James family that lined up in the backfield: Fob James Sr., Fob James Jr. and Tim James. Junior rushed for over 1,900 yards and became governor of Alabama. Tim was a fullback and was used mostly as a blocker. Liston Eddins, played three years at defensive end in the mid 1970s. His two sons Bret and Bart also put his hands in the dirt for the Tigers. Bret played defensive end from 2001 to 2004 while Bart played on the offensive line from 2007 to 2010.

Charlie Langer, a letterman in 1948, had two sons – David and Chuck – that played for Auburn. When it comes to Iron Bowl history, David Langer is the modern day Chris Davis. In 1972, Langer scored two touchdowns off blocked punts giving Auburn a 17-16 win in what is known as the ‘Punt ‘Bama Punt’ game.

Two Auburn centers back in the day – Marvin Trott and Lee Gross – had son that today’s younger generation might recall. Marvin’s son, Tommy, played tight end from 2006 to 2009 while Lee’s son, Gabe, was a two-sport star on the Plains. Gabe Gross struggled at quarterback for the Tigers in 1998. He excelled at baseball though and went to have a fine Major League Baseball career as an outfielder.

Charlie Trotman followed his father, Bubba. Bubba was a lineman in the 1940s while Charlie played under center as quarterback from 1977 to 1979.

The father-son duo of Secdrick and Jeris McIntyre combined to put up close to 2,900 yards on the offensive side of the ball. Secdrick spent three season at running back compiling 1,992 yards from 1973-1976. As a wide receiver, Jeris caught had four touchdowns and 973 receiving yards from 2000 to 2003.

Archived