Post a picture

18 hours ago, alexava said:

I never would’ve thought it. I guess as long as they have rabies shot they are ok. 

Don't even really have to worry about that. They don't go outside at all. 

Think of it like owning hamsters or gerbils that are a lot smarter, friendlier and more playful. Cheap and easy to care for and know how to use a litter box. Just have to change water daily, bedding and litter every week and bleach the cage once a month. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Don't even really have to worry about that. They don't go outside at all. 

Think of it like owning hamsters or gerbils that are a lot smarter, friendlier and more playful. Cheap and easy to care for and know how to use a litter box. Just have to change water daily, bedding and litter every week and bleach the cage once a month. 

A day without learning something seems somehow wasted.

Many thanks for making my day.

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa, very cool. What are those ruins of? Apologies for my ignorance.

I also had to look it up.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Windsor_Ruins

ETA - is cool

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

17,000 sq ft and 24 rooms... glad they didn't have to pay for A/C in 1861-1890. 

So, in at least one sense, not so cool?

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

So, in at least one sense, not so cool?

I've spent an inordinate amount of time wondering how people slept in the south before air conditioning. I'm not proud of that, but seriously. I can't even go camping between April and late October.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I've spent an inordinate amount of time wondering how people slept in the south before air conditioning. I'm not proud of that, but seriously. I can't even go camping between April and late October.

Often, not very well (trust me). Lots'a pillow flipping (hence the phrase "cool as the other side of the pillow").

I gather the omnipresent open-ceiling, 2-floor, central-stair feature of big plantation houses allowed for reasonably tolerable daytime living on the 1st floor (rising heat vented through windows upstairs) that cooled some upstairs by bedtime.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Often, not very well (trust me). Lots'a pillow flipping (hence the phrase "cool as the other side of the pillow").

I gather the omnipresent open-ceiling, 2-floor, central-stair feature of big plantation houses allowed for reasonably tolerable daytime living on the 1st floor (rising heat vented through windows upstairs) that cooled some upstairs by bedtime.

Basing the entire leisure calendar around the summer months was an actual northern aggression. 

Image result for sweating gif

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Basing the entire leisure calendar around the summer months was an actual northern aggression. 

Image result for sweating gif

Sorry, but

expand your vocabulary to include the term/concept of "snowbirds."

ETA - In my neck of the woods, "damn'" Yankees are the ones that stay.

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

Sorry, but

expand your vocabulary to include the term/concept of "snowbirds."

Their prevalence in my current environs renders the term almost redundant. Even the lady I met from Louisville the other day was a part timer. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

17,000 sq ft and 24 rooms... glad they didn't have to pay for A/C in 1861-1890. 

Tons and tons of history in the hills where these ruins are located. Port Gibson was left intact during Sherman’s March across the South. Dubbed “too beautiful to burn” by Sherman himself.

Just a few miles down highway 61 sits the city of Natchez. The oldest settlement on the MS River. At one time, it was home to  more millionaires than any city in the United States. Cotton was indeed gold. Natchez was also left mostly intact during the war due to its surrender to the Union(as a lot of the cotton plantations had ties to the North). 

If anyone is looking for a quiet getaway weekend, look up Natchez. Pretty sweet digs, good food and beer, lots of history.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Tons and tons of history in the hills where these ruins are located. Port Gibson was left intact during Sherman’s March across the South. Dubbed “too beautiful to burn” by Sherman himself.

Just a few miles down highway 61 sits the city of Natchez. The oldest settlement on the MS River. At one time, it was home to  more millionaires than any city in the United States. Cotton was indeed gold. Natchez was also left mostly intact during the war due to its surrender to the Union(as a lot of the cotton plantations had ties to the North). 

If anyone is looking for a quiet getaway weekend, look up Natchez. Pretty sweet digs, good food and beer, lots of history.

I seriously do want to do a trip from Natchez to Clarksdale or vice versa, stopping in Greenville to eat at Doe's.

I was so pissed when a work trip that would have sent me to Greenville got cancelled. Not only did I not get to go, but I didn't get to have my steak and tamales on the company dime.

2 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I seriously do want to do a trip from Natchez to Clarksdale or vice versa, stopping in Greenville to eat at Doe's.

I was so pissed when a work trip that would have sent me to Greenville got cancelled. Not only did I not get to go, but I didn't get to have my steak and tamales on the company dime.

Mmmmm....tamale trail....

A Doe’s opened here about 4 years ago. Pretty dang good food wise. The atmosphere is nothing like the original, though.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Mmmmm....tamale trail....

A Doe’s opened here about 4 years ago. Pretty dang good food wise. The atmosphere is nothing like the original, though.

I just looked them up and didn't realize they had opened up other locations. Good for them and I can imagine the food is awesome, but I hope I get to go to the original at some point. 

So many delicious things in your part of the world. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I just looked them up and didn't realize they had opened up other locations. Good for them and I can imagine the food is awesome, but I hope I get to go to the original at some point. 

So many delicious things in your part of the world. 

My expanding waistline resembles that.

Everyone that is an omnivore should eat at the original Doe’s at least once.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

We didn't know any better.........but having the windows up and hearing the crickets would help 

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

We didn't know any better.........but having the windows up and hearing the crickets would help 

My dad tells me stories of it being too hot to go in and chilling on the front porch until it got cool enough for bed. 

Skeeters would suck though. 

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, AUDub said:

My dad tells me stories of it being too hot to go in and chilling on the front porch until it got cool enough for bed. 

Skeeters would suck though. 

Skeeters suck big time. A lot of the homes would have a wide central breezeway thru the house for some relief with rooms on each side

22 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Skeeters suck big time. A lot of the homes would have a wide central breezeway thru the house for some relief with rooms on each side

The house I grew up in had a big ole attic fan. Man, all but the hottest months of the year, you could open the bedroom windows and turn that bad boy on. Slept like a dang log.

• Like 4