Post a picture

30 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The house I grew up in had a big ole attic fan. Man, all but the hottest months of the year, you could open the bedroom windows and turn that bad boy on. Slept like a dang log.

My house has an attic fan I'm seriously considering repairing. Hasn't worked since we moved in. Could help in the girls' rooms in the summer. Just haven't gotten around to it. 

Edited by AUDub

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

My house has an attic fan I'm seriously considering repairing. Hasn't worked since we moved in. Could help in the girls' rooms in the summer. Just haven't gotten around to it. 

Dude. I wish my current house had one. Just make sure you have screened windows, because that thing will suck some air in.

15 hours ago, AUDub said:

My dad tells me stories of it being too hot to go in and chilling on the front porch until it got cool enough for bed. 

Skeeters would suck though. 

Camel non-filters are a potent repellant.

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

The house I grew up in had a big ole attic fan. Man, all but the hottest months of the year, you could open the bedroom windows and turn that bad boy on. Slept like a dang log.

breeze and white noise

• Like 1

10 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Camel non-filters are a potent repellant.

For years I wondered why, when my uncle smoked his cigarettes,  it didn’t matter which end the writing on the paper ended up. 

Pall Malls.

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

For years I wondered why, when my uncle smoked his cigarettes,  it didn’t matter which end the writing on the paper ended up. 

Pall Malls.

Still, summer evenings are the times my wife actually seems to appreciate my side stream smoke.

• Like 2

On 2/19/2018 at 7:13 PM, Tiger Refuge said:

The first house the wife and I lived in many years ago was in West Point, Ga. Built in 1931 by Shaffer Heard, who the West Point Dam is named for. House was elevated and had some good shade plus an attic fan that would probably push an airboat. Used to tell people it would suck water from the toilets. We ran that thing continually in summer months and rarely depended on AC.  As a side note, Mr. Heard was the Senator and major player in damming the river to create West Point Lake. All of the old surveys, correspondence. etc..for procuring the dam were boxed up  and in the attic beside the fan.

• Like 2

13 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Pall Malls.

My little bro used to buy Bugler.

25 minutes ago, AUDub said:

My little bro used to buy Bugler.

20 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Me too, but...

So who had Prince Albert in a can?

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Me too, but...

Hey, having mastered rolling my own may be a useful skill in the future. *ahem*

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Hey, having mastered rolling my own may be a useful skill in the future. *ahem*

Damn!

Still exists!

WhodaThunkit?

https://www.martjet.com/bugler-cigarettes-making-maker-machine-paper-rolling-tobacco-roller-regular-70mm.html

4 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Still, summer evenings are the times my wife actually seems to appreciate my side stream smoke.

I'll spare you a long, sappy story. However, my uncle was more like a grandfather to me. As a pre-teenager, he would oblige me two trips to his deer camp every year. I can still see him sitting in an old, weathered rocking chair on the long porch of the two story camp house, slowly burning those cigarettes while combing back his grey and black hair. The "old" men in the camp flanking him, pitching hulls from parched peanuts into the dirt surrounding two ancient Spanish-moss draped red cedar trees. He liked sitting there in the dark, telling stories. Man, what a place. First place I ever drank "real" coffee(non-polluted as he called it).

• Love 2

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

I'll spare you a long, sappy story. However, my uncle was more like a grandfather to me. As a pre-teenager, he would oblige me two trips to his deer camp every year. I can still see him sitting in an old, weathered rocking chair on the long porch of the two story camp house, slowly burning those cigarettes while combing back his grey and black hair. The "old" men in the camp flanking him, pitching hulls from parched peanuts into the dirt surrounding two ancient Spanish-moss draped red cedar trees. He liked sitting there in the dark, telling stories. Man, what a place. First place I ever drank "real" coffee(non-polluted as he called it).

1st – For clarity, my use of the word “still,” was not intended to mean “yet,” or “however.” It was intended to mean “calm” or “windless.” Rereading, I noted that I was ambiguous.

2nd, and more importantly, I don’t mind “sappy.” in the least. In fact, I was trying to be sappy back at you.

In my mind, I had almost constructed your story from your uncle’s cigarette choice and management. Pall Malls were (are???) an old standard, with a solid tobacco blend, and one I considered back when I was exploring. Though the most cost-effective (the only full-length, 100-mm, non-filter I’ve seen), I eventually opted for Camel (“Don’t look for premiums or coupons….” on the back of every pack since before I was born). His inattention to which end was labeled told me that he was no prissy boy like me (who fastidiously tamps down on end of the pack before opening to minimize the odds of a cigarette dissolving into my face).

In my (similar?) story, my grandfather (hand-rolled Prince Albert) and my great uncle (Chesterfields) would retire to the end of the pier, after a day of running the trotline and cleaning fish, and until after the walls of the fish-camp buildings quit actively radiating.

Stories happened, snacking was mostly oysters (with shells pitched overboard to enhance the crappie reef), and I learned that smoke repelled mosquitoes.

• Like 1
  • Love 2

First place I ever drank "real" coffee(non-polluted as he called it).

Guessing he was just averse to filters in general, literal and figurative.

7 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Stories happened, snacking was mostly oysters (with shells pitched overboard to enhance the crappie reef), and I learned that smoke repelled mosquitoes.

Our crappie reef was a years-long accumulation of discarded Christmas trees with cinder block anchors. Not nearly as romantic, but it was an early introduction to mariculture and numerous sustainable living concepts. Also resulted in my only sustained success as a fisherman. 

Posting word pictures, gents. Love it.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Our crappie reef was a years-long accumulation of discarded Christmas trees with cinder block anchors. Not nearly as romantic, but it was an early introduction to mariculture and numerous sustainable living concepts. Also resulted in my only sustained success as a fisherman. 

Posting word pictures, gents. Love it.

So not OT?

Hope OP accepts this rationalization.

Many, Many Thanks!

• Like 2

1 minute ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

So not OT?

Hope OP accepts this rationalization.

Many, Many Thanks!

I suppose whether or not a picture is worth a thousand words depends on who's talking.

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

I suppose whether or not a picture is worth a thousand words depends on who's talking.

TL/DNR

(did I do that right?)

• Love 1

7 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

I'll never forget. The property that the camphouse resided on was literally next door to the Alcorn State University campus, more specifically the woods sheltered the dormitories. One cold spring day, he ran out of his Pall Malls. He absolutely despised leaving camp and going to town. So, the closest place that sold his vice was a campus store. So he and I piled into his 1964 Chevy C-10 and proceeded to procure some cigarettes. Marlboro reds. Which he quickly took to the kitchen butcher block and promptly removed the filters with a skinning knife. Actually, that was the trip I was introduced to real coffee. Cowboy coffee, compliments of a single pole powerline versus early spring cold front. 

• Like 2

33 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

His inattention to which end was labeled told me that he was no prissy boy like me (who fastidiously tamps down on end of the pack before opening to minimize the odds of a cigarette dissolving into my face).

His attention to detail seemed to wane as the day grew. Corn influenced relaxation, I would later learn. 

I do have a picture of him in his first year of med school at Ole Miss, smoking those Camels you mentioned.

• Thanks 1

His attention to detail seemed to wane as the day grew. Corn influenced relaxation, I would later learn. 

I do have a picture of him in his first year of med school at Ole Miss, smoking those Camels you mentioned.

At risk of arcane, I see evidence of the still unbroken circle in here. Remind me to tell you my Cabin Hollow story someday.

ETA1 - Sorry for cryptic. "Unbroken Circle" reference came from Camel-smoking med student arising from my Dr. wife's sometimes appreciation of my smoke. Song post at music thread.

ETA2 - a PM

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

Sadie chilling between the sticks this afternoon. Not a lot to do when you open your season with 5-0 and 4-0 wins in a tournament. 

P393O5i.jpg

Won the group. Knockout rounds begin tomorrow. 

• Like 5