Post a picture

14 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Even with my meager knowledge of your neighborhood,

even if you don't see a shark, many will see you (t'sOK).

Sea turtles is cool, never seen an otter there.

Ghost crabs yet? or are they still around?

Ghost crabs, aye. Bald eagles surprisingly common. There's a pair nesting on a pond just outside Savannah on my morning commute, although there's been a pile of expired feathers on the highway the last couple days that used to be either one of them or a turkey vulture. Hard to tell. Saw a dolphin from the bridge this morning. Saw a couple Friday night on the way back in. 

Sadly, we are already no(t) see(ing droves upon droves of) ums. Miserable bastards, the lot of ums. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ghost crabs, aye. Bald eagles surprisingly common. There's a pair nesting on a pond just outside Savannah on my morning commute, although there's been a pile of expired feathers on the highway the last couple days that used to be either one of them or a turkey vulture. Hard to tell. Saw a dolphin from the bridge this morning. Saw a couple Friday night on the way back in. 

Sadly, we are already no(t) see(ing droves upon droves of) ums. Miserable bastards, the lot of ums. 

We ain't gettin' no eagles, hootie owls, nor herons nesting on the property since we set loose the hounds (though all wander through frequently). 

Stay outside Atlanta for awhile, you'll nail down "y'all."

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

We ain't gettin' no eagles, hootie owls, nor herons nesting on the property since we set loose the hounds (though all wander through frequently). 

Stay outside Atlanta for awhile, you'll nail down "y'all."

Speaking of Atlanta, we had more hootie owls where we lived about 5 mins east of downtown than I've heard/seen on HHI. We shall see if that remains true. 

Our neighbor just hung a bat house in a tree. Had never heard of such, but if the bats find the accommodations to their liking, I look forward to our property helping out with the grocery bill. 

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Speaking of Atlanta, we had more hootie owls where we lived about 5 mins east of downtown than I've heard/seen on HHI. We shall see if that remains true. 

Our neighbor just hung a bat house in a tree. Had never heard of such, but if the bats find the accommodations to their liking, I look forward to our property helping out with the grocery bill. 

At a loss as well. For me, bats are just the 2nd wave of (summertime) bug sweepers. Approaching sunset, the chimney swifts surge out and clean the air layer just out of my reach (depending on flexibility at the time, my fingertip reaches 8ft +/- ~1/4") until dark. Bats (whence???) subsequently fill that space through the night (way different darting style and wing-beat sounds).

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

At a loss as well. For me, bats are just the 2nd wave of (summertime) bug sweepers. Approaching sunset, the chimney swifts surge out and clean the air layer just out of my reach (depending on flexibility at the time, my fingertip reaches 8ft +/- ~1/4") until dark. Bats (whence???) subsequently fill that space through the night (way different darting style and wing-beat sounds).

Hmm. I wasn't familiar with chimney swifts (thank you). I wonder if I've ever mistaken them for bats. 

What's your snake situation like? We've cottonmouths in the area, but I'm okay never seeing one. Evidently they can accidentally slip into the ocean and then wash up on a beach, although the salt water is said to be extremely unkind to their eyesight. 

1 hour ago, McLoofus said:

Got dang I learned to hate those things with the quickness. Bug spray didn't help. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Hmm. I wasn't familiar with chimney swifts (thank you). I wonder if I've ever mistaken them for bats. 

What's your snake situation like? We've cottonmouths in the area, but I'm okay never seeing one. Evidently they can accidentally slip into the ocean and then wash up on a beach, although the salt water is said to be extremely unkind to their eyesight. 

Moccasins are (by far) our nastiest snake. Only one of two (other being a maternal alligator, which is not around in our part of the river) local reptiles that is actually aggressive enough to chase you. I generally don't go where they usually are without boots, though the damn' dogs are only slowly learning care. Avoid or kill (and in the latter, bury the head!). Thankfully, when swimming, they cannot strike (nothing to launch from). Unfortunately, they can climb, and drop from trees (don't think you'll run into that in your neighborhood, but canoeing our creeks it can become an issue).

Haven't seen a coral snake or a rattler here in (many) decades. Non-poisonous snake bites, however, can be worrisome as well. They don't brush their teeth, and can infect.

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, AUDub said:

Got dang I learned to hate those things with the quickness. Bug spray didn't help. 

Gotcha!

Thank You!

Completely missed the original no-see-ums reference.

Camel smoke repels them pretty well.

Sure was pretty when I woke up this morning.

knvQqqa.jpg

Had a good thaw, but it's snowing hard again now. Makes for a comfy half mile walk to and from class. 

Simun3X.jpg

Edited by AUDub
  • Like 4

2 hours ago, AUDub said:

Sure was pretty when I woke up this morning.

knvQqqa.jpg

Had a good thaw, but it's snowing hard again now. Makes for a comfy half mile walk to and from class. 

Simun3X.jpg

Is that your evil eye look?

3 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Is that your evil eye look?

Sort of. It’s also my “I just took a snowflake to the eye” look. 

3 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Moccasins are (by far) our nastiest snake. Only one of two (other being a maternal alligator, which is not around in our part of the river) local reptiles that is actually aggressive enough to chase you. I generally don't go where they usually are without boots, though the damn' dogs are only slowly learning care. Avoid or kill (and in the latter, bury the head!). Thankfully, when swimming, they cannot strike (nothing to launch from). Unfortunately, they can climb, and drop from trees (don't think you'll run into that in your neighborhood, but canoeing our creeks it can become an issue).

Haven't seen a coral snake or a rattler here in (many) decades. Non-poisonous snake bites, however, can be worrisome as well. They don't brush their teeth, and can infect.

Many thanks for the reminder about the tree thing. I think. *Shudder*

We get the non poisonous ones that look like coral snakes. I really hope to see one, even though there's no chance that I'll be able to convince myself 100% that it's not a coral snake.

Saw this guy in a jungle in Thailand. Beautiful animal.

FB_IMG_1520384837755.jpg

• Like 2

We get the non poisonous ones that look like coral snakes. I really hope to see one, even though there's no chance that I'll be able to convince myself 100% that it's not a coral snake.

FB_IMG_1520384837755.jpg

I’m with ya on the snake thing. I’m not what you’d call “a fan”. That said, I have a healthy respect for them and their place in our world. They can just stay out there on the world. 

I ran up on this copperhead a few years ago while trail running. Pretty.

2D44FEF5-5C53-4AB3-BE75-5385C1A42C22.jpeg

• Like 2

12 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn I hate snakes stop it now i'm going to hate have bad frickin dream

Aw Golf, it's okay, there's probably not a snake anywhere in your house right now. 

12 hours ago, McLoofus said:

FB_IMG_1520384837755.jpg

I think it's "Red on black, friend of Jack. Red on yellow, kill a fellow." They're both right pretty.

Growing up, my Dad's words of wisdom were "Snakes are like guns. Always treat them like their loaded unless you know better."

• Like 1

Just now, AUld fAUx@ said:

I think it's "Red on black, friend of Jack. Red on yellow, kill a fellow." They're both right pretty.

Growing up, my Dad's words of wisdom were "Snakes are like guns. Always treat them like their loaded unless you know better."

Your Dad employed a wise brand of wisdom. I would welcome his advice on other matters.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Your Dad employed a wise brand of wisdom. I would welcome his advice on other matters.

He seemed to grow smarter as I grew.

• Love 1

On 3/6/2018 at 7:22 PM, augolf1716 said:

Damn I hate snakes stop it now i'm going to hate have bad frickin dream

Snakes....why'd it have to be snakes? Asp very dangerous.... you go first Golf.

Edited by Texan4Auburn
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUatHeart said:

As a color blind man, I get away from ANY snake I see.  Also the reason I don't turkey hunt.

Wise, and

I can relate

• Like 1