• Haha 3

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

She always does :(

McLittle off the top rope is deadly.

• Love 2
  • Haha 2

8 minutes ago, AUDub said:

McLittle off the top rope is deadly.

I know you know this to be true even more than I do. On the positive side, I'm sure we've both grown much more cat-like with our cover-the-jewels reflex. 

• Haha 2
  • Sad 1

13 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I know you know this to be true even more than I do. On the positive side, I'm sure we've both grown much more cat-like with our cover-the-jewels reflex. 

Between the girls and the dog, there's is now nothing I can not block when I sense something moving that direction.

• Haha 2

6 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I have an irresistible urge to catch frogs when I see them.

w7Ov2N9.jpg

Aw. Lil fella. 

We get those and small lizards in our place a lot now. The frogs are a lot easier to relocate. Love having them around the house, though. They only put a miniscule dent in hte insect population but it's gratifying to watch them work nonetheless. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Aw. Lil fella. 

We get those and small lizards in our place a lot now. The frogs are a lot easier to relocate. Love having them around the house, though. They only put a miniscule dent in hte insect population but it's gratifying to watch them work nonetheless. 

When I catch frogs this size, I try not to think of all the ones I inadvertently trampled. 

4 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Aw. Lil fella. 

We get skinks around our house. Blue tailed. Very pretty. Just kind of live and live, though I have found a few on sticky traps in my basement.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, AUDub said:

We get skinks around our house. Blue tailed. Very pretty. Just kind of live and live, though I have found a few on sticky traps in my basement.

Damned cats keep trying to smuggle them in, not realizing that even my color-blind self can clearly see that bright blue tail wiggling out of the end of their face.

24 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Damned cats keep trying to smuggle them in, not realizing that even my color-blind self can clearly see that bright blue tail wiggling out of the end of their face.

Holy crap. Augustus P. Dog aka Auggie and I see gators every morning on our walk, but the other day we surprised one who was close to the shore and he dove. I heard this before I saw it and by the time I located it, there was nothing but about a foot and a half of tail sticking up out of the water and flapping about. I really wish I could have captured this because it was surreal and somewhat terrifying. Probably only a 5-6 footer but he made a hell of a noise and the image of that tail sticking up and then sliding away... yeesh... 

Edited by McLoofus
  • Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Holy crap. Augustus P. Dog aka Auggie and I see gators every morning on our walk, but the other day we surprised one who was close to the shore and he dove. I heard this before I saw it and by the time I located it, there was nothing but about a foot and a half of tail sticking up out of the water and flapping a big. I really wish I could have captured this because it was surreal and somewhat terrifying. Probably only a 5-6 footer but he made a hell of a noise and the image of that tail sticking up and then sliding away... yeesh... 

Cannot seem to like this. Once my (2) dogs were teamed up into a pack, of sorts, I've quit worrying about raccoons (and 'possums, and armadillios...), but I'm still not comfortable with the snakes, and I fear the day they finally meet an alligator-snapper. Probably not really relevant, but how big and quick is Mr. Dog? Eyes peeled.

Another frog. Went out for a cig and heard a splash in the pool. Spent the next 30 minutes trying to catch it. Turned off our water wall and pool pumps to stop the water ripple so I could differentiate between a leaf and him on the bottom. Little s***, but I got him. Released into our “koi” pond to rehab his lungs.

0bbXLnq.jpg

• Like 2

On 5/30/2018 at 12:59 PM, McLoofus said:

Holy crap. Augustus P. Dog aka Auggie and I see gators every morning on our walk, but the other day we surprised one who was close to the shore and he dove. I heard this before I saw it and by the time I located it, there was nothing but about a foot and a half of tail sticking up out of the water and flapping about. I really wish I could have captured this because it was surreal and somewhat terrifying. Probably only a 5-6 footer but he made a hell of a noise and the image of that tail sticking up and then sliding away... yeesh... 

Mr. Loofus, sir. On re-reading, I fear I may have woefully misinterpreted your post. Never having sexed an alligator, the old editor in me (and a somewhat foggy green eyeshade may have played a part) kicked in and supplied Augustus P. Dog as the most likely antecedent for the "he" that "dove." From this (erroneous?) assumption, I visualized you being snatched by Mr. Dog's leash, and only hearing (in the moment that the startled gator turned tail) and then seeing the aftermath of the encounter.

On 5/30/2018 at 1:11 PM, AUld fAUx@ said:

Cannot seem to like this. Once my (2) dogs were teamed up into a pack, of sorts, I've quit worrying about raccoons (and 'possums, and armadillios...), but I'm still not comfortable with the snakes, and I fear the day they finally meet an alligator-snapper. Probably not really relevant, but how big and quick is Mr. Dog? Eyes peeled. Mr. Dog depends on you.

^This is probably how I should have responded?^ This somewhat parallels my dismay at learning of a gator in the basin (copperhead-in-the-laundry thread). Old dogs don't welcome new tricks, and I was disappointed to learn that a potential threat could arise from a direction not accounted for by my long-established habitual cautions.

As an aside, saw a great horned owl swooping low (below the level of our front porch) over the yard last week, apparently scanning for housecats? Semper paratus.

12 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Mr. Loofus, sir. On re-reading, I fear I may have woefully misinterpreted your post. Never having sexed an alligator, the old editor in me (and a somewhat foggy green eyeshade may have played a part) kicked in and supplied Augustus P. Dog as the most likely antecedent for the "he" that "dove." From this (erroneous?) assumption, I visualized you being snatched by Mr. Dog's leash, and only hearing (in the moment that the startled gator turned tail) and then seeing the aftermath of the encounter.

^This is probably how I should have responded?^ This somewhat parallels my dismay at learning of a gator in the basin (copperhead-in-the-laundry thread). Old dogs don't welcome new tricks, and I was disappointed to learn that a potential threat could arise from a direction not accounted for by my long-established habitual cautions.

As an aside, saw a great horned owl swooping low (below the level of our front porch) over the yard last week, apparently scanning for housecats?

Dammit. I should've said "dived", right? I'll never get that one corrected. 

Love seeing the owls! So majestic on the wing. 

Saw a dolphin and a gator this morning (separately). Did not see any bald eagles or the osprey that normally circles in the mornings (over the normal gator sighting area) but I did see a bald eagle in flight yesterday, as well as an osprey carrying a fish parallel with his fuselage so that it appeared that he was prepared to deploy a fish missile on some unknown target. 

• Like 1

Took my dad down to San Antonio for the day last weekend to check out a few historical places.

- San Fernando de Bexar Cathedral (Santa Anna used it as his base when attacking the Alamo.  Now Alamo heroes are entombed there.)

- The Alamo

- Mission San Jose (One of the four other old missions in SA besides The Alamo)

0602181012.jpg

0602181013.jpg

0602181038.jpg

0602181307.jpg

0602181308.jpg

0602181310.jpg

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Went to tour a new animal boarding place. I have no idea what the girl said because I couldn’t stop looking and laughing at this dog. 

EVjxWmA.jpg

Don't you get me started on our Gracie, RIP

gracie.jpg

• Sad 1