Post a picture

My nerd project for the day. A Z-wave controlled thermostat. Previous owner didn't follow code installing the prior one, so it took me a good 2 hours to find the C wire to keep from destroying my new thermostat. Spent the day wiring new 5 conductor thermostat cable and metering it out. The end result:

large.IMG_20170903_190128501.jpg

large.Screenshot_20170903-194134.png

The batteries are metered at 97, but that's deceptive. Since I wired up the C wire, it's powered off the 24V circuit on the transformer. It dropped from 100 because I disconnected it from the wall and programmed its wireless capability on the Z-wave unit in the basement by taking it down there on battery power. I'm kind of anal about these things, so I may replace the batteries just so it gives me a nice even 100. 

17 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

My nerd project for the day. A Z-wave controlled thermostat. Previous owner didn't follow code installing the prior one, so it took me a good 2 hours to find the C wire to keep from destroying my new thermostat. Spent the day wiring new 5 conductor thermostat cable and metering it out. The end result:

large.IMG_20170903_190128501.jpg

large.Screenshot_20170903-194134.png

The batteries are metered at 97, but that's deceptive. Since I wired up the C wire, it's powered off the 24V circuit on the transformer. It dropped from 100 because I disconnected it from the wall and programmed its wireless capability on the Z-wave unit in the basement by taking it down there on battery power. I'm kind of anal about these things, so I may replace the batteries just so it gives me a nice even 100. 

Bro I totally understood all of that. 

Jk, impressive work. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Bro I totally understood all of that. 

Jk, impressive work. 

Home automation is my hobby as of late. There are several protocols on the market, but I chose the Z-wave wireless protocol to control my lights, thermostats, and door locks. Lowe's Iris branded home automation equipment is Z-wave and will work with any other Z-wave control units, even if it doesn't say so on the packaging. It's an industry standard.

Buy a head unit, in my case a Mi Casa Verde Vera, then all you need to do is buy and install components like switches, dimmers, thermostats, deadbolts etc. They form a mesh network and communicate with each other, passing commands to where they need to be. You can then control them, either through an app, or with some tweaking like I've done, Google Home. Need to be comfortable working with electricity to do it, but it's not a tough DIY project.

As for the AC, on most air handlers there is a transformer stepping down the line voltage from your breakers, generally 220V like most large appliances, to 24 Volts 40 Amps. This stepped down voltage is what operates the contactor (Basically a big relay, an electrically operated switch. I've replaced several in the past.) if you have electric heat to turn on the coils, the gas valve if you have gas, and the compressor relay on your AC outdoor unit if you have a heat pump or just to run the AC.

24 volts always goes to your thermostat so it can send cooling and heating calls to those relays or valves, but what it lacks is a ground, or common in electrical parlance, hence the name C-wire. If you ever get a smart thermostat like a Nest, you'll need to run a C-wire, otherwise you'll be replacing batteries constantly. 

There you go. Clear as mud. ;)

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Bigbens42 said:

Home automation is my hobby as of late. There are several protocols on the market, but I chose the Z-wave wireless protocol to control my lights, thermostats, and door locks. Lowe's Iris branded home automation equipment is Z-wave and will work with any other Z-wave control units, even if it doesn't say so on the packaging. It's an industry standard.

Buy a head unit, in my case a Mi Casa Verde Vera, then all you need to do is buy and install components like switches, dimmers, thermostats, deadbolts etc. They form a mesh network and communicate with each other, passing commands to where they need to be. You can then control them, either through an app, or with some tweaking like I've done, Google Home. Need to be comfortable working with electricity to do it, but it's not a tough DIY project.

As for the AC, on most air handlers there is a transformer stepping down the line voltage from your breakers, generally 220V like most large appliances, to 24 Volts 40 Amps. This stepped down voltage is what operates the contactor (Basically a big relay, an electrically operated switch. I've replaced several in the past.) if you have electric heat to turn on the coils, the gas valve if you have gas, and the compressor relay on your AC outdoor unit if you have a heat pump or just to run the AC.

24 volts always goes to your thermostat so it can send cooling and heating calls to those relays or valves, but what it lacks is a ground, or common in electrical parlance, hence the name C-wire. If you ever get a smart thermostat like a Nest, you'll need to run a C-wire, otherwise you'll be replacing batteries constantly. 

nerd.jpg

3 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

nerd.jpg

If working with HVAC and electrical wiring isn't manly, I don't know what is. ;)

Edited by Bigbens42

9 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

If working with HVAC and electrical wiring isn't manly, I don't know what is. ;)

"My nerd project for the day." your words BB.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Haha 1

59 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

"My nerd project for the day." your words BB.

Manly nerds

13 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Aaaah.

"Now I understand," he said simply.

[As an old ChemE, I can sort'a get by equating voltage with pressure and amperage as flow but, deep down inside, I find electricity akin to black magic.]

My view last Friday.  Last week I hiked 27 miles along the Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu.  Hadn't showered in 4 days when this pic was taken, but still had to wear the AU gear.  Surprisingly, I got a "War Eagle!" from 5 different people while in Peru.  Pretty cool experience.

After this pic we hiked the tallest steepest mountain in the background which is Huayna Picchu and is consistently ranked as one of the more dangerous hikes in the world.

Machu Picchu.JPG

Edited by Auburn 6
  • Like 7

6 hours ago, Auburn 6 said:

My view last Friday.  Last week I hiked 27 miles along the Inca Trail to reach Machu Picchu.  Hadn't showered in 4 days when this pic was taken, but still had to wear the AU gear.  Surprisingly, I got a "War Eagle!" from 5 different people while in Peru.  Pretty cool experience.

After this pic we hiked the tallest steepest mountain in the background which is Huayna Picchu and is consistently ranked as one of the more dangerous hikes in the world.

Machu Picchu.JPG

I could do that in my sleep 6.................................j/k very impressive and a great picture.  

This was my weekend. Mrs. Barnacle on the left, Barnacle on the right. 

Went to Williamsburg for the weekend with some friends for Busch Gardens and checked out William and Mary while we were there. 

Aside from the game, catching a cold, and having our flight home cancelled, it was actually a great weekend spent with good friends.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

• Like 5

16 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

This was my weekend. Mrs. Barnacle on the left, Barnacle on the right. 

Went to Williamsburg for the weekend with some friends for Busch Gardens and checked out William and Mary while we were there. 

Aside from the game, catching a cold, and having our flight home cancelled, it was actually a great weekend spent with good friends.

IMG_4126.JPG

IMG_4121.JPG

Awesome. Gotta love a girl with a sense of humor. Nice work!

• Like 1

On September 7, 2017 at 5:52 PM, augolf1716 said:

I could do that in my sleep 6.................................j/k very impressive and a great picture.  

I have no doubts your youth would get you through it.

36 minutes ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Found a Gecko. 

zrVYp3e.jpg

Turn him loose in my house. Brown Recluse infestation over with the quickness. 

6 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Eww. Sure they're not wolf spiders? They're the "good" spider.  

Yes, they are recluse. Common here. My  neighbors get them too.

Actually, since I moved to get quarterly spraying, they're a lot less common. In fact, the only live one I've seen in months is one I have trapped in a jar. Little buggers can survive forever with no food and water. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Yes, they are recluse. Common here. My  neighbors get them too.

Actually, since I moved to get quarterly spraying, they're a lot less common. In fact, the only live one I've seen in months is one I have trapped in a jar. Little buggers can survive forever with no food and water. 

Here's the little monster. 

large.IMG_20170914_202621474.jpglarge.IMG_20170914_202707353.jpg

Wonder how long before he starves.

• Thanks 1

19 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

crap sorry to hear

Meh, you deal with it. They spike in the spring and summer and disappear in the autumn. We sped it up this year with quarterly spraying. Hope that keeps their numbers down next year. 

You do what you can. I've caulked off every possible point of ingress into the house and put out sticky traps. Catch quite a few. With the spraying, I'm thinking we should see even fewer in the future. You never completely get rid of them here in central Alabama. 

Edited by Bigbens42