Post a picture

51 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Oh helllllllll no.

Keep your house clean and you're fine. They're called recluse for a reason.

When they get you is when they get into an article of clothing or a boot that's been left a while, or an infrequently slept in bed. When they press up against you is what drives them to bite, so shake that stuff out keep bedding off the floor and wall, etc. 

They're also pretty stupid. They don't climb well at all. I joke that, if I could put a bathtub or sink in every room of the house, they'd be gone in no time flat. In that dumbass's case, it was a jar. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

10 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

When they get you is when they get into an article of clothing or a boot that's been left a while, or an infrequently slept in bed. When they press up against you is what drives them to bite, so shake that stuff out keep bedding off the floor and wall, etc. 

They're also pretty stupid. They don't climb well at all. I joke that, if I could put a bathtub or sink in every room of the house, they'd be gone in no time flat. In that dumbass's case, it was a jar. 

We used to have them all up in my old deer camp. I concur that they are very "slow". However, my fear always arose after climbing in bed and nestling down in the cold. It was then that I would get a bit panicky. Never got bitten, but was always very wary after seeing the direct results.

12 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Here's the little monster. 

large.IMG_20170914_202621474.jpglarge.IMG_20170914_202707353.jpg

Wonder how long before he starves.

Nasty, have seen some ugly reactions on people from a supposedly Recluse bite. When I was 12 Y O stepped on a Cottonmouth, it got me on the ball of my foot. Other the swelling, it did not look as nasty as the recluse bites I have seen.

Orange and Blue sunset off PCB this past Tuesday after Irma. Double red flags out and the undertow was horrible. Can not see in the picture two young men are well out beyond 2nd sandbar on surf boards.

IMG_0071.JPG

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 5

12 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

This picture is a few years old , and was supposed to be a joke. Instead, it ended up being a neat snapshot. On the Rim fire in Yosemite NP.

image.jpeg

Would make a fine recruiting poster.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

I'll tell you it was a little nerve wracking putting on my boots the other day after being left in the garage all Spring and Summer. I shook them out, stuck a stick in it, and ultimately stuck my hand in to make sure there wasn't anything nasty in there. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Nasty, have seen some ugly reactions on people from a supposedly Recluse bite. When I was 12 Y O stepped on a Cottonmouth, it got me on the ball of my foot. Other the swelling, it did not look as nasty as the recluse bites I have seen.

I got close to stepping on a snake just yesterday. I was stomping through the woods down a beaten path to get access to a part of the pond I was fishing. Went to cross over some fallen limbs and branches and this guy was right there on a leaf. I turned around and quickly vacated the woods. Dunno what species it is. It wasn't acting aggressive, just sunbathing, and I don't even know if it moved when I was 5 feet away.

ggxvYVu.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I got close to stepping on a snake just yesterday. I was stomping through the woods down a beaten path to get access to a part of the pond I was fishing. Went to cross over some fallen limbs and branches and this guy was right there on a leaf. I turned around and quickly vacated the woods. Dunno what species it is. It wasn't acting aggressive, just sunbathing, and I don't even know if it moved when I was 5 feet away.

ggxvYVu.jpg

No expert on snakes and that's a blurry picture (one can hardly blame you for not wanting to get closer) but that very well could be a copperhead.

• Like 1

13 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

No expert on snakes and that's a blurry picture (one can hardly blame you for not wanting to get closer) but that very well could be a copperhead.

Zoomed all the way in on my iPhone, hence the quality. It did cross my mind to extend my GoPro handle and use the photo voice command to get a closer shot; but better judgment got the best of me. 

I thought it might be a copperhead as well, as water snakes and moccasins are marked a little differently. 

I did see about a 3 foot water moccasin come cruising by some reeds last week. It was hiding in plain sight for at least 5 minutes and I had no clue that it was just a few feet away. 

Edited by ShocksMyBrain

23 minutes ago, Bigbens42 said:

Better host that somewhere else @around4ever. Looks like Photobucket got you too.

It's been a while since I have used photobucket. What are they doing with my photos when I link them? 

On 9/15/2017 at 0:57 PM, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'll tell you it was a little nerve wracking putting on my boots the other day after being left in the garage all Spring and Summer. I shook them out, stuck a stick in it, and ultimately stuck my hand in to make sure there wasn't anything nasty in there. 

Waaay back,

visiting Uncle Dave in St. Thomas, I was warned to shake out shoes before donning.

1st morning, I shook out a ~5" scorpion (bigger than they grow in So. Ala).

Edited by AUld fAUx@
spelling

21 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

Zoomed all the way in on my iPhone, hence the quality. It did cross my mind to extend my GoPro handle and use the photo voice command to get a closer shot; but better judgment got the best of me. 

I thought it might be a copperhead as well, as water snakes and moccasins are marked a little differently. 

I did see about a 3 foot water moccasin come cruising by some reeds last week. It was hiding in plain sight for at least 5 minutes and I had no clue that it was just a few feet away. 

Aaah, memories.

Copperheads are not generally as aggressive as moccasins (nor, as far as I know, as likely to climb trees), but as a child in VA, I was decidedly scared by one.

Doing the, um, bear thing in the woods, I heard an extra rustle in the leaves, turned around, and saw a copperhead w./ fecal material sliding down the side of its face and looking downright unhappy. If they kept records of 10-yd dash times with belt around the ankles, I'd have broken one.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Aaah, memories.

Copperheads are not generally as aggressive as moccasins (nor, as far as I know, as likely to climb trees), but as a child in VA, I was decidedly scared by one.

Doing the, um, bear thing in the woods, I heard an extra rustle in the leaves, turned around, and saw a copperhead w./ fecal material sliding down the side of its face and looking downright unhappy. If they kept records of 10-yd dash times with belt around the ankles, I'd have broken one.

That's gives a whole new twist to the whole "crooked as a constipated snake" saying.

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/14/2017 at 8:31 PM, Bigbens42 said:

Here's the little monster. 

large.IMG_20170914_202621474.jpglarge.IMG_20170914_202707353.jpg

Wonder how long before he starves.

I'm thinking you need to move. Might as well burn the place down while you're at it. 

• Haha 1

19 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

Ben...your sig :laugh:

Corndog week, brah.

• Like 1