Post a picture

9 hours ago, ShocksMyBrain said:

I'm glad this thread is working as intended. A picture generates discussion, and discussions result in common ground and further knowledge.

Gonna be tough for me not to just post cute pics of my kid and travel pr0n. But I'll try. 

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa. Bear?

Too small to be my fault.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Whoa. Bear?

Yessir.  I was working at a national wildlife refuge in the MS delta in Louisiana, wading through palmetto that was at times, head high. I couldn't have seen a bear until it was on my face. I HATE palmetto. Besides beating my legs and arms and ribs and crotch to pieces, it's a great substrate for guinea wasp nests....bad little bastards

Edited by Tiger Refuge

29 minutes ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Yessir.  I was working at a national wildlife refuge in the MS delta in Louisiana, wading through palmetto that was at times, head high. I couldn't have seen a bear until it was on my face. I HATE palmetto. Besides beating my legs and arms and ribs and crotch to pieces, it's a great substrate for guinea wasp nests....bad little bastards

No. Uh uh. No, no, no. Noooooope. Absolutely not. Given the choice, I'd take my chances with the bear. 

The view of the 'ham from the top of Children's in Southside on a hot summer day.

large.IMG_20170719_105203086.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Another of those can-not-like posts, but my sympathies are all yours.

Closest I got is a summer job sitting in barrier-island marshes, in a folding lawn chair, swatting fiddler crabs out of my lap while I read a book. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Another of those can-not-like posts, but my sympathies are all yours.

Closest I got is a summer job sitting in barrier-island marshes, in a folding lawn chair, swatting fiddler crabs out of my lap while I read a book. 

I guess my job is like a lot of professions, you gotta love it....and be a bit sick in the head to really enjoy it.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

more than like, love it. Cool neighborhood

Not with the pear thieves, it's not. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

more than like, love it. Cool neighborhood

3 hours ago, Bigbens42 said:

Not with the pear thieves, it's not. 

Both posts more spot on than you think.

East Atlanta Village is, by any measure, a cool neighborhood... except the crime measure. City living, the good and the bad. 

14 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

sEtyxQU.jpgOne more work pic, then I'll stop.

Post as many as you like.

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

NcjCvng.jpg

With love, from Yosemite.

Wow!

Actually took the beginner's Wildfire-Fighter course @ Oak Mountain (~B'ham) a few years back. Though I passed, I quickly learned that (1.) I was way too old and out of shape to even imagine it as a vocation and (2.) hung-up snags in the overhead trees are dangerous, even well away from the fire.

Our "lab" was conducted around a (very well) controlled burn. I was led to believe that (steeper, faster chimneys) the Western mountains could be downright scary.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Wow!

Actually took the beginner's Wildfire-Fighter course @ Oak Mountain (~B'ham) a few years back. Though I passed, I quickly learned that (1.) I was way too old and out of shape to even imagine it as a vocation and (2.) hung-up snags in the overhead trees are dangerous, even well away from the fire.

Our "lab" was conducted around a (very well) controlled burn. I was led to believe that (steeper, faster chimneys) the Western mountains could be downright scary.

Your belief is correct. Fire out West is a whole 'nother beast. The fire in this picture was a backing fire. My 20 man crew spent a week prepping the fireline for the backfiring operation. The fuels in the park were astoundingly dry. Most of the unplanned ignitions out west the last few years have resulted in ecosystem altering fire effects. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Your belief is correct. Fire out West is a whole 'nother beast. The fire in this picture was a backing fire. My 20 man crew spent a week prepping the fireline for the backfiring operation. The fuels in the park were astoundingly dry. Most of the unplanned ignitions out west the last few years have resulted in ecosystem altering fire effects. 

Holy....., I mean

Thank you for your service.

Not sure when picture was taken, but are things any better out there this year? I gather they're finally getting some water, but that doesn't change the fact that even the litter, grown in a dryer environment is just, plain, more resinous than even my pines...

ETA - ...and I sort'a value old-growth pine knots down here as lighter wood."

Edited by AUld fAUx@
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Holy....., I mean

Thank you for your service.

Not sure when picture was taken, but are things any better out there this year? I gather they're finally getting some water, but that doesn't change the fact that even the litter, grown in a dryer environment is just, plain, more resinous than even my pines...

ETA - ...and I sort'a value old-growth pine knots down here as lighter wood."

Thanks a bunch. Seriously. I'm just glad I can pitch in my small part. 

Things are are marginally better. While things are more "normal", a lot of the precip fell in a short duration. Years of drought are difficult to erase. Plus, years of mismanaging ecosystems takes a while to "fix". 

And yes, fatty pine is an excellent fire starter. In fact, if one has lighter knot, one doesn't need much else to have a nice, roaring fire in short order.

ETA-This picture was taken during the Rim Fire in 2013. At the time, it was the largest fire in CA history at just shy of 1/4 million acres. It was 'uge. 

Edited by Tiger Refuge
  • Like 3

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Things are are marginally better. While things are more "normal", a lot of the precip fell in a short duration. Years of drought are difficult to erase. Plus, years of mismanaging ecosystems takes a while to "fix". 

And yes, fatty pine is an excellent fire starter. In fact, if one has lighter knot, one doesn't need much else to have a nice, roaring fire in short order.

ETA-This picture was taken during the Rim Fire in 2013. At the time, it was the largest fire in CA history at just shy of 1/4 million acres. It was 'uge. 

Many Thanks, and

Stay Safe

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

Good stuff, thanks. 

• Like 1

20 hours ago, Tiger Refuge said:

NcjCvng.jpg

With love, from Yosemite.

YAAAAAAAASSSS well except forest fires are often, in reality, extremely uncool. But... FIRE.

• Like 1