Post a picture

22 hours ago, AUFAN78 said:

Where are the ducks?

In Louisiana, Eaten!

• Haha 1

Who can name this old Auburn landmark, which operated under at least three names, that has now been torn down?

59e76dc6008bb.image.jpg?resize=750,496

On 1/18/2020 at 11:37 AM, Dan-0 said:

Who can name this old Auburn landmark, which operated under at least three names, that has now been torn down?

Man, this is driving me crazy. Is that the place on Opelika Hwy that used to have the 32 oz long island iced teas for $4? Had the sweet back patio that was kind of up in the trees? I really should remember the name (at the time) because it's where I did most of the damage on my 21st birthday. Hoo boy, that was a night to not remember.

Edited by McLoofus
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Man, this is driving me crazy. Is that the place on Opelika Hwy that used to have the 32 oz long island iced teas for $4? Had the sweet back patio that was kind of up in the trees? I really should remember the name (at the time) because it's where I did most of the damage on my 21st birthday. Hoo boy, that was a night to not remember.

You´re getting so warm! You´re right about Opelika Hwy and the Long Island Teas. Care to venture a guess of the place´s name? 😉

4 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

You´re getting so warm! You´re right about Opelika Hwy and the Long Island Teas. Care to venture a guess of the place´s name? 😉

ACTUALLY... it might not be the place I was thinking of.

Did it start with an H?

Just now, McLoofus said:

ACTUALLY... it might not be the place I was thinking of.

Did it start with an H?

No, the last name it ended up with started with a ´B´.

12 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

No, the last name it ended up with started with a ´B´.

Okay, so it was the place I was initially thinking of. Maaaaaaan, I sure made a lot of memories there. Too bad I don't remember any of them. 

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Okay, so it was the place I was initially thinking of. Maaaaaaan, I sure made a lot of memories there. Too bad I don't remember any of them. 

I worked there back in the 80s. Great times! Like you, I just wish I could remember more of it! 😉

• Haha 1

37 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Oh, and I mixed many, many of those Long Island Teas. Simple recipe: vodka, gin, rum (clear liquors), sour mix, and Coke. Stir & garnish with a lemon. If your date ordered one of those, you knew it was going to be a good night! 😉

38 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Oh, and I mixed many, many of those Long Island Teas. Simple recipe: vodka, gin, rum (clear liquors), sour mix, and Coke. Stir & garnish with a lemon. If your date ordered one of those, you knew it was going to be a good night! 😉

Those things were insane. Just a giant bucket of get drunk sauce for 4 bucks. 

When I think about all of the crazy drink specials back in those days, well, I'm just really glad we're all still here to talk about it.

• Haha 2

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Those things were insane. Just a giant bucket of get drunk sauce for 4 bucks. 

When I think about all of the crazy drink specials back in those days, well, I'm just really glad we're all still here to talk about it.

Yes, the LITs were exactly that, the most bang-for-the-buck drink and you couldn´t taste the alcohol. That´s why they were so popular with students. I saw many a sorority girl being carried out the door because of those things, they were dangerous! I steered clear of them because I saw their effect one too many times. 😉 

• Haha 1

On 1/8/2020 at 12:02 PM, McLoofus said:

Did you get to drive that thing?

That's what about 75% of Arkansas looks like.

My family owns some land somewhere in that state that's nothing but pine trees. 

If they were to have some rice fields ..... it could be good. 

• Like 1

On 1/18/2020 at 10:37 AM, Dan-0 said:

Greelys and later Botchers? Spent a little time in there........ Out by what was once the Hungry Hunter. 

Pretty sure a prior name started with T.

Edited by SaltyTiger
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Greelys and later Botchers? Spent a little time in there........ Out by what was once the Hungry Hunter. 

Pretty sure a prior name started with T.

And the grand prize goes to SaltyTiger! It was C.L. Torbett’s when I got to AU in 1983, Greely´s when I started working there around ´85, and finally became Bottchers in the 90´s after I was long gone. I have a lot of nostalgia for this little place not only because I worked there but because, at that time, Auburn was still a (relatively) small town and there were no casual bar/restaurants of the corporate type like Applebee´s,Chili´s, etc. Just locally-owned places like this little place, Ryan´s, Denaro´s, and Darnell´s as I recall.

I can´t believe they tore it down! So many AU landmarks biting the dust, progress sucks! 😉 

Edited by Dan-0
  • Like 3

47 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

And the grand prize goes to SaltyTiger! It was C.L. Torbett’s when I got to AU in 1983, Greely´s when I started working there around ´85, and finally became Bottchers in the 90´s after I was long gone. I have a lot of nostalgia for this little place not only because I worked there but because, at that time, Auburn was still a (relatively) small town and there were no casual bar/restaurants of the corporate type like Applebee´s,Chili´s, etc. Just locally-owned places like this little place, Ryan´s, Denaro´s, and Darnell´s as I recall.

I can´t believe they tore it down! So many AU landmarks biting the dust, progress sucks! 😉 

He beat me! Grew up there, AU 1984-88...remember all three names. Agree...didn't know they tore it down. Ryan's, Hungry Hunter,...Opelika Road was hopping!

Miss Denaro's "Pay What U Think It's Worth" night! Remember Darnell's fondly. Our years were in sync.

• Like 1

And in the name of progress..."Foy Union" now looks more like this...food court and all. Chick FilA and Starbucks were hopping yesterday for MLK,  b/c the library was closed. Would you believe we found out later that our son was on the other side of the building, same floor, studying, phone off,  same time as our hangout? We couldn't reach him until a few hours later when we were driving home...#missedmyhug

20200120_173654.jpg

20200120_173719.jpg

• Like 2

This bald eagle swooped down for roadkill near Lake Martin, and I had a great DUH moment that Alabama actually has bald eagles...have only ever seen one in Washington State...

20200120_134238.jpg

• Like 4
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

This bald eagle swooped down for roadkill near Lake Martin, and I had a great DUH moment that Alabama actually has bald eagles...have only ever seen one in Washington State...

20200120_134238.jpg

We saw a lot of these in Washington and Canada in October. See a few in Arkansas this duck season too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

He beat me! Grew up there, AU 1984-88...remember all three names. Agree...didn't know they tore it down. Ryan's, Hungry Hunter,...Opelika Road was hopping!

Miss Denaro's "Pay What U Think It's Worth" night! Remember Darnell's fondly. Our years were in sync.

AU 1984-88 were some good years, TG, some very good years! I know I sound like an old fart but I loved AU back then when it still had that small town feel and fewer corporate restaurants and businesses. There weren´t that many places to hang out but there was a better chance you would run into people you knew.😉

And yes... Opelika Road was hopping back then, it was the growing part of town, there was really not much on College Street past campus, until you got out to the Supper Club. It´s so strange, I left Auburn in ´88 and moved away and didn´t go back for probably 15 years or so. When I took my wife & family back for a swim meet I was going to show them around so we went down Opelika Road and imagine my surprise to see how it was dying out there & there were all these new places on College that didn´t even exist when I left! Things had changed so much, I got lost and totally disoriented! 😮 Oh well, that´s progress, I guess.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

23 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

AU 1984-88 were some good years, TG, some very good years! I know I sound like an old fart but I loved AU back then when it still had that small town feel and fewer corporate restaurants and businesses. There weren´t that many places to hang out but there was a better chance you would run into people you knew.😉

And yes... Opelika Road was hopping back then, it was the growing part of town, there was really not much on College Street past campus, until you got out to the Supper Club. It´s so strange, I left Auburn in ´88 and moved away and didn´t go back for probably 15 years or so. When I took my wife & family back for a swim meet I was going to show them around so we went down Opelika Road and imagine my surprise to see how it was dying out there & there were all these new places on College that didn´t even exist when I left! Things had changed so much, I got lost and totally disoriented! 😮 Oh well, that´s progress, I guess.

Good grief you guys/gals are a bunch of kiddies

• Haha 3

15 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

20200120_134238.jpg

We normally see them pretty regularly in the Lowcountry, but not many this last year. 

The only other place I've seen one is... Lake Martin. 

• Love 1

17 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

They have been nesting around the Manoy Creek area for several years now. News of their nest location travels pretty fast and they receive a lot of company by boat. I do a good bit fishing on Andrew Sound behind Tyndall AFB. Bald Eagles are a fairly common sight there. Bull Sharks likewise.  

• Like 1