Post a picture

While we are on 1984 to 1988...we had some GREAT acts come through...Coliseum! I saw Lionel Richie, the Pointer Sisters, Dana Carvey, Chicago, Alabama...and I missed on Tina Turner. Don Knotts then or after, when we lived close enough. Can anyone add to my list?

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

AU 1984-88 were some good years, TG, some very good years! I know I sound like an old fart but I loved AU back then when it still had that small town feel and fewer corporate restaurants and businesses.

Those were really great times. Went to Auburn late 70's and graduated 82. Made my home in Auburn. On the gulf coast now but still have a place in Auburn and go back often. I worked with Animal Health Research in college therefore worked most breaks being a livestock caretaker. Recall being stopped by the police one late one night during Christmas break at Toomers Corner. Police simply wanted to know what a friend and I where doing out because the place was a ghost town. 

All of the 'progress" does sorta gnaw at you but it was inevitable. Downtown and all of the gateways have changed incredibly. Back then nothing on the Frederick Road and exit 57 Corridor other than Rental Service Co. and John Jackson's Bent Creek Grocery. Bent Creek Grocery was quite an establishment and hangout. John Jackson knew every politician in East Alabama. Seemed like all of the coaches made it a point to pass through during the day. Always a great cast of colorful regulars for coffee every morning. Coach Dye was usually in before sunrise and all were quick to learn that he did not want to be bothered while reading the newspaper. You also did not talk football unless he brought it up.     

• Thanks 1

16 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

All of the 'progress" does sorta gnaw at you but it was inevitable. Downtown and all of the gateways have changed incredibly. Back then nothing on the Frederick Road and exit 57 Corridor other than Rental Service Co. and John Jackson's Bent Creek Grocery. Bent Creek Grocery was quite an establishment and hangout. John Jackson knew every politician in East Alabama. Seemed like all of the coaches made it a point to pass through during the day. Always a great cast of colorful regulars for coffee every morning. Coach Dye was usually in before sunrise and all were quick to learn that he did not want to be bothered while reading the newspaper. You also did not talk football unless he brought it up.     

Yes, it was inevitable and it probably would not have shocked me so much had I lived there because the change would have been more gradual. But because I moved away and didn´t go back for so many years it was kind of a shock! Back in the 80s, students used to complain about what all the things Auburn didn´t have, well be careful what you wish for!

It seems like a lot of the growth is not just due to the University, it seems like the Auburn-Opelika area just really started growing at about this time because the economy took off and also because it really is one of the nicer parts of Alabama in which to live and I believe the area ranks pretty high in national rankings among cities of similar size. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

While we are on 1984 to 1988...we had some GREAT acts come through...Coliseum! I saw Lionel Richie, the Pointer Sisters, Dana Carvey, Chicago, Alabama...and I missed on Tina Turner. Don Knotts then or after, when we lived close enough. Can anyone add to my list?

TG, I saw Chicago and Dana Carvey-- great shows! Do you remember the short-lived comedy club in Auburn back then? I remember Jay Leno, who was just a stand-up comic, coming there because one of my buddies worked for the Plainsman and interviewed him.

Was there a comedy club? In hindsight, I am not sure if there was a comedy club or if Leno just performed at the Movie Pub. It´s amazing the things we forget!

Edited by Dan-0

3 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

TG, I saw Chicago and Dana Carvey-- great shows! Do you remember the short-lived comedy club in Auburn back then? I remember Jay Leno, who was just a stand-up comic, coming there because one of my buddies worked for the Plainsman and interviewed him.

Was there a comedy club? In hindsight, I am not sure if there was a comedy club or if Leno just performed at the Movie Pub. It´s amazing the things we forget!

Thats right! Leno! There could surely have been a comedy club! Did you listen to WEGL? Do you remember a shoe store down from Toomers...the Bootery? That was my Greely's! Always had to work on game day, though...biggggg bizness...and our beloved Mr. Childs had forever season tix.

3 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Yes, it was inevitable and it probably would not have shocked me so much had I lived there because the change would have been more gradual. But because I moved away and didn´t go back for so many years it was kind of a shock! Back in the 80s, students used to complain about what all the things Auburn didn´t have, well be careful what you wish for!

It seems like a lot of the growth is not just due to the University, it seems like the Auburn-Opelika area just really started growing at about this time because the economy took off and also because it really is one of the nicer parts of Alabama in which to live and I believe the area ranks pretty high in national rankings among cities of similar size. 

Annnnnnd....excellent public schools without Mountain Brook traffic! Opelika has come on strong, too. Great opportunities, at least from my time there. Three primary schools, 1970-1990-ish. Over double that now...just primary. The new Auburn High is grades 10-12, with the former Samford Ave facility serving JUST 8 and 9, I believe. It's really wild...

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Thats right! Leno! There could surely have been a comedy club! Did you listen to WEGL? Do you remember a shoe store down from Toomers...the Bootery? That was my Greely's! Always had to work on game day, though...biggggg bizness...and our beloved Mr. Childs had forever season tix.

I think there was a short-lived comedy club that was located in the building Darnell´s moved into after the club closed. But I could be mistaken... The Movie Pub was in that area too and the memories are starting to run together. I never went to the comedy club or the Movie Pub. 

I had a love-hate relationship with WEGL. I loved the oldies show on Friday afternoon and never missed it. And I listened to it some at night when they played music I liked. But most of the day they played punk rock / progressive music that I just never developed a liking for, so I listened to the Montgomery Top 40 stations most of the time.

I don´t remember the Bootery but I didn´t get downtown too often unless it was to go to Kaz gym. I worked on Saturdays, like you, including game days, and probably didn´t go to a game after my 2nd year at AU. Game days were the days I made more in one day than I could make all week!

13 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I think there was a short-lived comedy club that was located in the building Darnell´s moved into after the club closed. But I could be mistaken... The Movie Pub was in that area too and the memories are starting to run together. I never went to the comedy club or the Movie Pub. 

I had a love-hate relationship with WEGL. I loved the oldies show on Friday afternoon and never missed it. And I listened to it some at night when they played music I liked. But most of the day they played punk rock / progressive music that I just never developed a liking for, so I listened to the Montgomery Top 40 stations most of the time.

I don´t remember the Bootery but I didn´t get downtown too often unless it was to go to Kaz gym. I worked on Saturdays, like you, including game days, and probably didn´t go to a game after my 2nd year at AU. Game days were the days I made more in one day than I could make all week!

Kaz!!!!!  I remember! I think you're right...Darnells/area was several things. Old Tiger Theater, too, not far. I liked WEGL after the fact, weirdo me. I love alternative, as in "REM/Smithereens/etc." before they were Top 40, and it was on that station that I first heard "Snow/Hey O" by the RH Chili Peppers...couple of decades AFTER undergrad! Still can't get enough of that baseline. 🤣🤣

Maybe it takes the flavor of whomever is majoring in broadcasting... 

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Kaz!!!!!  I remember! I think you're right...Darnells/area was several things. I liked WEGL after the fact, weirdo me. I love alternative, as in "REM/Smithereens/etc." before they were Top 40, and it was on that station that I first heard "Snow/Hey O" by the RH Chili Peppers...couple of decades AFTER undergrad! 🤣🤣

Maybe it takes the flavor of whomever is majoring in broadcasting... 

I like REM, Smithereens, Chili Peppers, and a lot of bands they called progressive back then but which ended up being totally mainstream by the 90s.

But, as I recall, WEGL was always pushing the envelope and playing a lot of stuff that was more obscure and closer to punk rock-- I´m thinking of bands like The Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, etc. I don´t remember, it was just a lot of noise to me. You remember that show on MTV ¨120 Minutes¨ that they showed on Sunday nights? It was a lot of that. 😉

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

I like REM, Smithereens, Chili Peppers, and a lot of bands they called progressive back then but which ended up being totally mainstream by the 90s.

But, as I recall, WEGL was always pushing the envelope and playing a lot of stuff that was more obscure and closer to punk rock-- I´m thinking of bands like The Dead Kennedys, Butthole Surfers, etc. I don´t remember, it was just a lot of noise to me. You remember that show on MTV ¨120 Minutes¨ that they showed on Sunday nights? It was a lot of that. 😉

I'd be with you there. Yuck. I...wonder...what they were "on" when they came up with THOSE!?!

• Haha 1

Was this the old Heart of Auburn motel on College? Wasn´t it torn down years ago? This photo would be from the 80s.

ShFLkSaOSEYhIvLzHbA9ja_S33xQgnruSKzgy6aC

Edited by Dan-0

11 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Was this the old Heart of Auburn motel on College? Wasn´t it torn down years ago? This photo would be from the 80s.

ShFLkSaOSEYhIvLzHbA9ja_S33xQgnruSKzgy6aC

Link does not seem to work. Yes, old Heart of Auburn was demolished. Served its life and was in need of demo. Jeff Price also closed the BBQ House doors. Hated to see it go. IMO best BBQ in town. Served a great breakfast also.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Link does not seem to work. Yes, old Heart of Auburn was demolished. Served its life and was in need of demo. Jeff Price also closed the BBQ House doors. Hated to see it go. IMO best BBQ in town. Served a great breakfast also.

I think my one regret from my days in Auburn was not once eating at the BBQ House, even though I passed by the place countless time. 😁

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

I think my one regret from my days in Auburn was not once eating at the BBQ House, even though I passed by the place countless time. 😁

Byron's was way better IMO.

58 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Byron's was way better IMO.

Where was Byron´s?

Just now, Dan-0 said:

Where was Byron´s?

On OA road back between the Dean Road intersection and N Gay. Had a small place back when but moved down the street to the DQ building early 2000 something. Still going strong. Had breakfast there last Saturday morning.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Opelika Hwy! Still there, actually. Just as you're leaving downtown Auburn. 

Jeez! I can´t believe I didn´t remember Byron´s, especially since I worked out on Opelika Rd.  There were so many places on that road back then, though. 🙂

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Jeez! I can´t believe I didn´t remember Byron´s, especially since I worked out on Opelika Rd.  There were so many places on that road back then, though. 🙂

I even liked Country's. Blasphemy, I know, but they actually did a great job back in the day of mixing a lot of nice, crispy bark in with the pulled pork. Also, they had that mustard sauce, and the salad with pulled pork and bleu cheese was sneaky good. 

• Thanks 1

8 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Hey, Salty, his sweet grandson is one of my WorldChangers this year. JP used to give my dad extra large portions of BBQ when he would walk over from his Funchess Hall office for lunch...his last stages of cancer. Heart of gold. The sauce recipe has been requested...but not given to date. 🤣

Here's a shot of my mom and JP. 

152166.jpg

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Thanks 1
  • Love 1

2 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I even liked Country's. Blasphemy, I know, but they actually did a great job back in the day of mixing a lot of nice, crispy bark in with the pulled pork. Also, they had that mustard sauce, and the salad with pulled pork and bleu cheese was sneaky good. 

YES. That. I'm not bbq-picky. AMAZING chef salad.  Good pies when I rarely indulged. Cue stew....YES! 

(I do like big rocking chairs too.)

Country's in Prattville just closed after 37 years...

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Love 1

3 hours ago, McLoofus said:

Opelika Hwy! Still there, actually. Just as you're leaving downtown Auburn. 

They DO have a KILLER, economical breakfast...best biscuits anywhere. Not that @passthebiscuits cares.

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Haha 2

OK, OCD kicking in here... I don´t think the photo I posted above was The Heart of Auburn Motel but rather the other hotel that was downtown. As I recall, it was across the street from Kaz gym.

This is photo of the The Heart of Auburn from the early 60s when it was one of the few hotels in town. It was demolished in 2012. Anybody remember that Rosie´s Chinese Buffet that was in the adjacent restaurant in the late 80s-early 90s? Great place to eat!

Heart-of-Auburn-vintage-small-576x360.jp

• Love 1