Post a picture

31 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

OK, OCD kicking in here... I don´t think the photo I posted above was The Heart of Auburn Motel but rather the other hotel that was downtown. As I recall, it was across the street from Kaz gym.

This is photo of the The Heart of Auburn from the early 60s when it was one of the few hotels in town. It was demolished in 2012. Anybody remember that Rosie´s Chinese Buffet that was in the adjacent restaurant in the late 80s-early 90s? Great place to eat!

Heart-of-Auburn-vintage-small-576x360.jp

That's the ❤ of Auburn I remember! Yep on Chinese...at least once...what was the one down from Toomers, before Cheeburger? The above was the AM rendezvous stop for the BY 506...systematic botany...April field trips to caravan to the Annual Wildflower Pilgrimage in the Smokies. Talk about kid-Heaven, hanging with and occasionally crushing on Daddy's students! (and cringing to grade some of their exams...bless 'em...he was tough...)

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

That's the ❤ of Auburn I remember! Yep on Chinese...at least once...what was the one down from Toomers, before Cheeburger? The above was the AM rendezvous stop for the BY 506...systematic botany...April field trips to caravan to the Annual Wildflower Pilgrimage in the Smokies. Talk about kid-Heaven, hanging with and occasionally crushing on Daddy's students! (and cringing to grade some of their exams...bless 'em...he was tough...)

Gee, TG, the only other Chinese restaurant downtown I remember was a little express or fast food type Chinese place on E. Magnolia where either Hamilton´s or Behind the Glass is now. And I don´t think I knew the name of it even when I lived there.

And I just remembered... the restaurant section of Heart of Auburn had a hopping little bar called Harvey´s when I got there in 83. I remember watching the ´83 Iron Bowl there as well as seeing Panic and other New Wave bands with poofy 80s haircuts. 🙇‍♂️😂 I don´t think the place lasted too long before a restaurant moved in.

So your father was a botany professor? It must have been so cool to have grown up and lived in Auburn. 

Edited by Dan-0

A video, not a picture, but just too funny not to share! 😂

• Haha 1

On 1/24/2020 at 8:29 PM, Dan-0 said:

So your father was a botany professor? It must have been so cool to have grown up and lived in Auburn. 

Yes! Yes it was! Though we often dreamed of escaping to an out of state university. Took it for granted, ashamed to say. Not that my peers were cool...LOL...real funky mix of university-related plus "town and gown" plus regular folks. I would say I am who I am today because of the blessing of huge multicultural exposure. These incredible internationals left us in awe...or me, anyway...by their accomplishments while growing up here and in what they've gone on to do. I'm the richer for being included in their cultural festivals and in simply hanging out and doing life. Would say...not much at the time for Auburn youth to do except, if you were "that crowd", try to sneak into frat parties way underage...

• Thanks 1
  • Love 1

On 1/24/2020 at 4:08 PM, ToraGirl said:

Here's a shot of my mom and JP. 

Great looking Mom with picture of Jeff. He was getting a bit burnt out before closing. Building also needed a lot of updates,  feel sure the property value could not be ignored. Would love to find how they tweaked that sauce recipe. 

Byrons, Glenn has kept that family business running like a charm. Works early and hard. Loves to walk several miles in the afternoon and enjoys catching the baseball games from the Parking Deck. They wanted to rebuild Byrons in its original location but the plan encroached on the railroad track.  

Question: Do you recall what was renovated and became the first AUMC educational building? 

Edited by SaltyTiger

30 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Great looking Mom with picture of Jeff. He was getting a bit burnt out before closing. Building also needed a lot of updates,  feel sure the property value could not be ignored. Would love to find how they tweaked that sauce recipe. 

Byrons, Glenn has kept that family business running like a charm. Works early and hard. Loves to walk several miles in the afternoon and enjoys catching the baseball games from the Parking Deck. They wanted to rebuild Byrons in its original location but the plan encroached on the railroad track.  

Question: Do you recall what was renovated and became the first AUMC educational building? 

Ahhhh...do you mean "Stupid Foods"...I keed! Super Foods! That was bittersweet in that the pedestrian-dependent students lost a neighborhood grocery! But for AUMC, it was too good to pass up. They've acquired the old Saint Michael's Catholic Church and parking lot/s and apartments to the left of SF, too. Massive expansion in the George Mathison years. We were in Kentucky for seminary by then...

Thanks so much on the pic! He was, still is. Happy to be in a new season of life. But we all loved it. Neat about Byron's!

• Love 1

3 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

That was bittersweet in that the pedestrian-dependent students lost a neighborhood grocery!

Macaroni and cheese. 3 boxes for a dollar. I lived in a garage apartment on North College and visited the old A & P more than "Stupid Foods".  Speaking of seminary, my father was a Methodist minister.   

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

24 minutes ago, SaltyTiger said:

Macaroni and cheese. 3 boxes for a dollar. I lived in a garage apartment on North College and visited the old A & P more than "Stupid Foods".  Speaking of seminary, my father was a Methodist minister.   

A&P!  I remember...one of Mama's favorites...but I tell you, that Kroger is now the envy of the world.  It was amazing even before the renovation...

On 1/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, Dan-0 said:

Anybody remember that Rosie´s Chinese Buffet that was in the adjacent restaurant in the late 80s-early 90s? Great place to eat!

Indeed, I do. 

In fact, if there was a buffet in Auburn in the early 90's, I definitely remember it and considered it at the time to be a great place to eat. Mr. Gatti's was my happy place. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

A&P!  I remember...one of Mama's favorites...but I tell you, that Kroger is now the envy of the world.  It was amazing even before the renovation...

Think about 75% of the population in Auburn makes it to Kroger once a day. The business they do is pretty amazing. We have shopped there for years. Kroger owns the Tom Thumb gas and convenience stores along the coast and they honor your Kroger card for discounts. There were rumblings of a Kroger opening in the PCB area a  few years ago but nothing developed. 

12 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

Ma Loof was in town to visit one time when he rolled up to the A&P to see her baby boy and a friend loading a keg into a truck. Lucky for me she'd already been invited over to the apartment. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Think about 75% of the population in Auburn makes it to Kroger once a day. The business they do is pretty amazing. We have shopped there for years. Kroger owns the Tom Thumb gas and convenience stores along the coast and they honor your Kroger card for discounts. There were rumblings of a Kroger opening in the PCB area a  few years ago but nothing developed. 

I was SHOCKED to move to the "fair capital city" in 1994 (aka, the Gump) and find NO KROGER...then or now. We have since lost EarthFare, Pier1, and World Market. Pitiful. Thank goodness for Auburn!

On 1/26/2020 at 8:21 PM, ToraGirl said:

A&P!  I remember...one of Mama's favorites...but I tell you, that Kroger is now the envy of the world.  It was amazing even before the renovation..

All of the grocery talk made me  little homesick for Auburn. I opened the FoodMax in 1987 when I worked for Bruno's. It was the first store I was store manager of. Great store and we did a good amount of student business even though we were as far away as we were. Used to see Bo there from time to time. John Zenor is an AP sports journalist and he was one of the clerk's at the store when I was there. When Super Foods closed we hired some good people from there. I managed it for 4 years before I moved back to Bham. I missed that store though. I guess because I put so much blood and sweat into it, but no tears. It was all good. 

Edited by gr82be
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, gr82be said:

All of the grocery talk made me  little homesick for Auburn. I opened the FoodMax in 1987 when I worked for Bruno's. It was the first store I was store manager of. Great store and we did a good amount of student business even though we were as far away as we were. Used to see Bo there from time to time. John Zenor is an AP sports journalist and he was one of the clerk's at the store when I was there. When Super Foods closed we hired some good people from there. I managed it for 4 years before I moved back to Bham. I missed that store though. I guess because I put so much blood and sweat into it, but no tears. It was all good. 

So cool, Gr82! As we are birthing a church, I get it! John Z. is "Little Johnny Zenor"...close to my brother's age, lived up the street. Whoever knows what we all become! ❤

On 1/24/2020 at 8:21 PM, Dan-0 said:

OK, OCD kicking in here... I don´t think the photo I posted above was The Heart of Auburn Motel but rather the other hotel that was downtown. As I recall, it was across the street from Kaz gym.

This is photo of the The Heart of Auburn from the early 60s when it was one of the few hotels in town. It was demolished in 2012. Anybody remember that Rosie´s Chinese Buffet that was in the adjacent restaurant in the late 80s-early 90s? Great place to eat!

Heart-of-Auburn-vintage-small-576x360.jp

Back then 60's early 70's some of the football players would get a couple of rooms and party big time at HOA. Many a times I would be partying with Tom Banks and Mickey Zofko

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Back then 60's early 70's some of the football players would get a couple of rooms and party big time at HOA. Many a times I would be partying with Tom Banks and Mickey Zofko

I would like to have been a fly on the wall during those parties! 😆

I hope Shug or any of his assistants ever found out but they may well have known and just chose to ignore it. 

54 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I would like to have been a fly on the wall during those parties! 😆

I hope Shug or any of his assistants ever found out but they may well have known and just chose to ignore it. 

Oh they knew as well as the cops.....................no internet or cell phones back then

new york comedy GIF by HULU

2 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

Did a little of the same at HOA in the late 70"s. Had a good friend that worked the night desk and was able to sneak us room at NC some weekends. Speaking of Tom Banks, remember his sister well. Used to hang out at the 'upsidedown" Plaza in Birmingham. Can't recall if she went to Auburn but would see her when I went home.  

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

According to a few of old timers a quote from Shug.

"If you ever get one that does not like to fight a little, party a little, and get in trouble every now and then......you had better run his ass off."

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Isn´t it funny how societal attitudes´ and tolerance toward smoking have changed over the years? 

82913937_2662929237365382_39952561544385

• Like 2
  • Haha 3

3 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Isn´t it funny how societal attitudes´ and tolerance toward smoking have changed over the years? 

82913937_2662929237365382_39952561544385

Yes...but not worldwide. Many parts of Europe and Japan, for instance...I always forget until I'm surrounded...🤢🤮🤣

40 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Yes...but not worldwide. Many parts of Europe and Japan, for instance...I always forget until I'm surrounded...🤢🤮🤣

I haven´t been to Europe in many years, but when I was in the military and a student there back in the 80s-90s, I could not believe how much they smoked!

I spent a TDY with the Air Force in Spain in which I worked 3rd-shift desk work with Spanish contract workers. All they did was smoke Fortunas & Ducados and drink strong coffee all night long. I was taking in so much 2nd-hand smoke I guess at some point I just gave up and I started smoking too. And I have asthma! 😅Thankfully, I was young and my smoking career was short-lived.

Edited by Dan-0

42 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I haven´t been to Europe in many years, but when I was in the military and a student there back in the 80s-90s, I could not believe how much they smoked!

I spent a TDY with the Air Force in Spain in which I worked 3rd-shift desk work with Spanish contract workers. All they did was smoke Fortunas & Ducados and drink strong coffee all night long. I was taking in so much 2nd-hand smoke I guess at some point I just gave up and I started smoking too. And I have asthma! 😅Thankfully, I was young and my smoking career was short-lived.

I so admire that you were able to quit! My dad was a diabetic and never should have started...but I think he was rebelling against an overprotective older mom. 😁 Fortunately he laid it down, as well. Thank you so much for your service!

Spain is a bucket list for me!

16 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

I so admire that you were able to quit! My dad was a diabetic and never should have started...but I think he was rebelling against an overprotective older mom. 😁 Fortunately he laid it down, as well. Thank you so much for your service!

Spain is a bucket list for me!

Thanks, TG, the Air Force helped pay my way through AU so it´s all good! 😜

You would love Spain, you should go one day. It is my favorite country in Europe, at least of the ones I have been to, which is most of Western Europe with the exception of the UK. Spain is full of castles & history and the food is great, too. You can get some really good airline deals from NY-Madrid. Don´t price fares from ATL-Madrid, unless you want a shock, those fares are way too high and connecting flights from ATL-NY are cheap anyway. The same applies for most flights to Europe, NY is much cheapter than ATL. We almost went to Spain last summer but opted for Quebec, Canada because we had never been.

• Like 2

11 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Thanks, TG, the Air Force helped pay my way through AU so it´s all good! 😜

You would love Spain, you should go one day. It is my favorite country in Europe, at least of the ones I have been to, which is most of Western Europe with the exception of the UK. Spain is full of castles & history and the food is great, too. You can get some really good airline deals from NY-Madrid. Don´t price fares from ATL-Madrid, unless you want a shock, those fares are way too high and connecting flights from ATL-NY are cheap anyway. The same applies for most flights to Europe, NY is much cheapter than ATL. We almost went to Spain last summer but opted for Quebec, Canada because we had never been.

Most of my international flights, except Mexico/C. America, I've gone the ATL > NY and then NY> destination route. 

Man, quitting smoking was hard- I'm embarrassed to admit how long and how much I smoked cigarettes- but now I couldn't imagine ever picking one back up. I'm not one of those annoying, preachy, born-again nonsmokers, but I am a HUGE cheerleader for anyone I find out is trying to quit.

Spain also on my bucket list. Mainly for the food and wine. I know I'd fall in love with a lot more once I got there, but not until after I've spent about 12 hours eating and drinking. Of course, that's my #1 goal no matter where I travel.

My only experience in the UK was 3 days in London. Mrs. Loof and I enjoyed it way more than we expected. One of the friendliest cities I've ever been to. 

Sorry. I won't get into a "here's every detail of my travel career" thing. Well, not any more than I just did. I just don't get to anywhere approaching as much as I'd like so I lean on these conversations a little too heavily for vicarious experience. Ask @ToraGirl, lol. 

Montreal is a great city! I really want to go to Quebec City, though. DOH, sorry, shut up, Loof......

• Like 1