Post a picture

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

Auburn City Schools , 1972-1984. School lunch menu for Mondays...pizza (rectangular), corn, salad, maybe green beans, likely a roll, and a cookie, I think. That was pre-Michelle Obama. Pic is close. 🤣🤣🤣

422ff9dad3a42ecf9ef309c6eb669fca.jpg

I miss those lunch pizzas 

20 minutes ago, The Freak said:

I miss the fiestada

image.png

Relive the memories! 

https://www.mastercook.com/app/recipe/WebRecipeDetails?recipeId=11905563

12 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Ahhhh, technology. 

https://www.foodtasticmom.com/copycat-lunch-lady-pizza/

• Love 1

13 hours ago, AUBwins said:

Me too! And all this talk about lunchroom food brings back some funny college memories...

When my buddy/roommate and I went to AU it was really our first time away from home, so neither of us had any clue of how to cook, especially on the ridiculously thin food budget we had to buy groceries with. Our main point-of-reference was lunchroom food. So most of our cooking consisted of recreating the lunchroom favorites we had grown up with, which meant a steady diet of Beans-n-Franks w/ cornbread, Western Beans with Beef, Chili Con Carne, and Breakfast for Dinner! LOL!  Along with Hamburger or Tuna Helper, we lived off such delicacies for at least the first year or so.

BTW, I still can´t eat Tuna Helper to this day since I ate it one too many times in college. 😵

Edited by Dan-0
  • Love 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Me too! And all this talk about lunchroom food brings back some funny college memories...

When my buddy/roommate and I went to AU it was really our first time away from home, so neither of us had any clue of how to cook, especially on the ridiculously thin food budget we had to buy groceries with. Our main point-of-reference was lunchroom food. So most of our cooking consisted of recreating the lunchroom favorites we had grown up with, which meant a steady diet of Beans-n-Franks w/ cornbread, Western Beans with Beef, Chili Con Carne, and Breakfast for Dinner! LOL!  Along with Hamburger or Tuna Helper, we lived off such delicacies for at least the first year or so.

BTW, I still can´t eat Tuna Helper to this day since I ate it one too many times in college. 😵

Love those. College definitely teaches you to be resourceful lol. I also cannot eat iced Oatmeal cookies for also binge eating them while binge watching TV some years ago. 

• Haha 2

8 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Do you remember Mag Deli?  THEIR CHICKEN SALAD!!!!!  (I lived at home but went with my friends who were from out-of-town.  They got me hooked.)  My husband had access to a hot plate.  That's all.  Kraft Mac and cheese boxes, four for a dollar....:-X

Edited by ToraGirl
  • Like 1

23 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

Do you remember Mag Deli?  THEIR CHICKEN SALAD!!!!!  (I lived at home but went with my friends who were from out-of-town.  They got me hooked.)  My husband had access to a hot plate.  That's all.  Kraft Mac and cheese boxes, four for a dollar....:-X

I remember Mag Deli, I think, was it close to CDV? Can´t say that I ever ate there but I think they had pizzas, right? I worked the breakfast shift at War Eagle Cafeteria for a spell so that was my singular exposure to AU Food Service! 

Oh, those boxes of macaroni and cheese. That´s was the end-of-the-month, waiting for payday, scrape up your change, meal. And if you had enough change, add some vienna sausage or hot dogs. I ate it so much I can´t even stand the smell of it now. I guess it´s the smell of being a poor student. 😄

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

I remember Mag Deli, I think, was it close to CDV? Can´t say that I ever ate there but I think they had pizzas, right? I worked the breakfast shift at War Eagle Cafeteria for a spell so that was my singular exposure to AU Food Service! 

Oh, those boxes of macaroni and cheese. That´s was the end-of-the-month, waiting for payday, scrape up your change, meal. And if you had enough change, add some vienna sausage or hot dogs. I ate it so much I can´t even stand the smell of it now. I guess it´s the smell of being a poor student. 😄

It's character-building, though!  No disrespect, but I tell ours that "kids" at AU now live in nicer homes than the ones they came from...just sayin'.  Something is always being built, which brings us full circle to the gorgeous torn-down gingerbread house adjacent to the former Barbecue House.  There was a time when Patio Apartments and Cabana Apartments were the "It-Thing."  Now...oh, don't get me started.  Like I said, I lived at home, and our son lives at Auburn Christian Fellowship within walking distance of campus.  Character building.  One good thing the students now have, if they'll use it, is that magnificent bus which goes everywhere.  My feet fell off...

:yay:

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

It's character-building, though!  No disrespect, but I tell ours that "kids" at AU now live in nicer homes than the ones they came from...just sayin'.  Something is always being built, which brings us full circle to the gorgeous torn-down gingerbread house adjacent to the former Barbecue House.  There was a time when Patio Apartments and Cabana Apartments were the "It-Thing."  Now...oh, don't get me started.  Like I said, I lived at home, and our son lives at Auburn Christian Fellowship within walking distance of campus.  Character building.  One good thing the students now have, if they'll use it, is that magnificent bus which goes everywhere.  My feet fell off...

:yay:

Absolutely, it´s character-building, although I don´t know if either you or I would have seen it that way back in those days.

AU and other universities have become big business and tuition and expenses have gone up so much I wonder if a kid like me, someone who paid his own way through school with military service and lots of part-time jobs, could make it in the current environment. I wonder if that is even possible these days?

8 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

Absolutely, it´s character-building, although I don´t know if either you or I would have seen it that way back in those days.

AU and other universities have become big business and tuition and expenses have gone up so much I wonder if a kid like me, someone who paid his own way through school with military service and lots of part-time jobs, could make it in the current environment. I wonder if that is even possible these days?

I've wondered the same thing, as for personal survival in 2020. . But I've always been an "old soul"...gasp...joining a free college ministry then instead of going the (in my mind) Greek-pay-to-be-exclusive route, so even in 1984-1988, I "got" and embraced character building...Bootery, saving by living at home, etc. 

To get up to 20 hours for $425 a quarter compared to tuition costs now is incomparable. By God's grace, a provisional grandmother/great-grand, and a 3x rising ACT score succession, our son is on full scholarship (minus housing). We are daily humbled that  this opportunity is possible for us.  I shudder not just at the cost now but at the waste of opportunity some experience given the inflation and change of "tolerable living conditions/experience expectations" that we see when we visit. 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, ToraGirl said:

One good thing the students now have, if they'll use it, is that magnificent bus which goes everywhere.  My feet fell off...

For reasons I won't get into, I was for a time without a car in Auburn. Got myself a decent bike. Suddenly wondered why the heck I ever had a car. (Helped that I lived and worked downtown. And had a girlfriend with a car.) 

• Like 3

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

For reasons I won't get into, I was for a time without a car in Auburn. Got myself a decent bike. Suddenly wondered why the heck I ever had a car. (Helped that I lived and worked downtown. And had a girlfriend with a car.) 

From what I know of the campus, it has become more bike-friendly over the years with bike lanes and such, and that´s a good thing. Back in the 80´s, a lot of people rode bikes but, as I recall, you were taking your life in your own hands riding through traffic.

I loved riding my bike to class, wish I had lived closer to have done it more when I was there.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

From what I know of the campus, it has become more bike-friendly over the years with bike lanes and such, and that´s a good thing. Back in the 80´s, a lot of people rode bikes but, as I recall, you were taking your life in your own hands riding through traffic.

I loved riding my bike to class, wish I had lived closer to have done it more when I was there.

At that age, taking my life in my own hands was the default setting, haha. Extremely fortunate that all my trips to the EAMC ER were for buddies and not myself. 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Dan-0 said:

And ped zones! Tons of street restructurings...

• Like 1

45 minutes ago, ToraGirl said:

And ped zones! Tons of street restructurings...

There ya go, not all progress is bad! 😉

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Dan-0 said:

There ya go, not all progress is bad! 😉

Cept u can't get a ticket for driving down the "wrong street" to pay another ("wrong zone parking") ticket or be halted for possible denial to "walk" at graduation because YOUR DAD has an outstanding parking ticket from taking your MOM to Telfair Peet to see a play and parking in the loading zone. Only. In. Auburn. So think of all the $$$$ Campus Police can no longer rake in. Bwess it.

Edited by ToraGirl

1 hour ago, ToraGirl said:

So think of all the $$$$ Campus Police can no longer rake in. Bwess it.

Agree 100%! AU Police was never anything other than a money-making operation designed to suck even more money off the students & University community.

My daughter goes to UAH and they still have campus cops and it´s just as bad as it used to be at Auburn... we got a $50 ticket there the other day for parking in the VISITORS section for half an hour to check on her Financial Aid. 

4 minutes ago, Dan-0 said:

Agree 100%! AU Police was never anything other than a money-making operation designed to suck even more money off the students & University community.

My daughter goes to UAH and they still have campus cops and it´s just as bad as it used to be at Auburn... we got a $50 ticket there the other day for parking in the VISITORS section for half an hour to check on her Financial Aid. 

That is AWFUL! They should be ashamed of themselves.

• Thanks 1

One of my old stand by for eating cheap  late 60's while at Auburn as Gus would BOOM  many  a times I ate there for under $2 bucks

On Sunday morning, Jan. 15, 1978, half a block of businesses on East Magnolia Ave. in downtown Auburn blew the hell up (kapow, boom, war-zone), chief among them in the minds of those that remember the aftermath and write blurbs about it in the sidebars of regional magazines and annual remembrances in newspapers, the Kopper Kettle.

Picture-97.png

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

One of my old stand by for eating cheap  late 60's while at Auburn as Gus would BOOM  many  a times I ate there for under $2 bucks

On Sunday morning, Jan. 15, 1978, half a block of businesses on East Magnolia Ave. in downtown Auburn blew the hell up (kapow, boom, war-zone), chief among them in the minds of those that remember the aftermath and write blurbs about it in the sidebars of regional magazines and annual remembrances in newspapers, the Kopper Kettle.

Picture-97.png

Golf, YES! I was sitting at home watching "Jot the Dot" or something akin to that, getting ready for Sunday School and church at Auburn UMC. The sonic boom was heard on Green Street. TV flickered off then on...headed off, got to Thach and Gay and knew something was up. No AUMC that day! Blew those incomparable stained glass windows to bits. Met in the Village Theater during reconstruction. Poor Parkers and Polly-Tek, too! #memories

• Like 2

22 hours ago, SaltyTiger said:

Rainbow seen from campus early Saturday morning. Pic #2  from the Kroger parking lot.

IMG_0607.jpeg

IMG_0797 (1).JPG

That is GLORIOUS...thank you for sharing!