Auburn and Notre Dame want to play

WDE_OxPx_2010

@auburn4ever :popcorn:

"It was interesting to see the list of teams we’ve never played (from the SEC, which include Mississippi State, Auburn and Kentucky). I frankly didn’t know it," Swarbrick told the Star. "I have a great relationship with the Auburn athletic director (Jay Jacobs), and I’d love to figure out how to do that. There’s something to be said for ticking off everyone on that list until you can say you’ve done it over the history of this program."

Link

Why couldn't Auburn schedule a game/s with ND in 2023 or 2024? I know we play California in those years, but why not play 2 teams from the power 5?

• WarTiger changed the title to Auburn and Notre Dame want to play
6 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Why couldn't Auburn schedule a game/s with ND in 2023 or 2024? I know we play California in those years, but why not play 2 teams from the power 5?

This is a great idea, a4e.  I wonder, though, if Swarbrick has a good relationship with JJ and JJ is replaced; how would this deal be affected?

2 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

@auburn4ever :popcorn:

"It was interesting to see the list of teams we’ve never played (from the SEC, which include Mississippi State, Auburn and Kentucky). I frankly didn’t know it," Swarbrick told the Star. "I have a great relationship with the Auburn athletic director (Jay Jacobs), and I’d love to figure out how to do that. There’s something to be said for ticking off everyone on that list until you can say you’ve done it over the history of this program."

Link

Not doubting the great relationship part but JJ knows we haven't played them before. If he wants to schedule ND then figure the thing out and make it happen for crying out loud. Swarbrick appears to be on board. 

Anybody.  Anywhere.  That kind of mentality built FSU and Bobby Bowden into household names in the late 70's. 

We should do the same.  Period. 

It was mentioned on Sportscall the other day that the kick-off game versus Washington coming up was going to be us and ND but NBC tie-in prevented it from happening.

In 2020, we only have Southern Miss on 9/26/2020 & Alabama A&M on 11/21/2020. We could schedule ND at Jordan-Hare somewhere in 2020 if we didn't won't to wait until 2023 & 2024.

10 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

In 2020, we only have Southern Miss on 9/26/2020 & Alabama A&M on 11/21/2020. We could schedule ND at Jordan-Hare somewhere in 2020 if we didn't won't to wait until 2023 & 2024.

The article stated ND already has a power 5 non con game that year. 

29 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

If JJ has any ----- well you know, he should get with Swarbrick and make this series happen.

Open dates?

5 hours ago, Beaker said:

Anybody.  Anywhere.  That kind of mentality built FSU and Bobby Bowden into household names in the late 70's. 

We should do the same.  Period. 

What in the heck does the FSU of the 70's have to do with AU now? I'm all for playing ND, not rabid about it like some AU fans are, but this comment makes zero sense to me. When was the last time ND was really relevant for more than a flash in the pan year. Recruits haven't thought so in years.

18 minutes ago, boisnumber1 said:

When was the last time ND was really relevant for more than a flash in the pan year. 

Very well could say the same for Auburn.

2 hours ago, auburn4ever said:

what a shock...didn't read the article at all...

4 hours ago, dabrasco said:

It was mentioned on Sportscall the other day that the kick-off game versus Washington coming up was going to be us and ND but NBC tie-in prevented it from happening.

^this. And the fact that ND in discussions previously didn't want a home and home.

I'm pretty excited to never have anything to do with the golden domers.  Let them fall into irrelevance just like army Princeton and all the "used to be's"

I've always thought we should stick to schools similar to us in that we aren't the state school but not very far off from "blue blood" status.  Texas a&m before they joined the conference.  Okie state, Michigan state, Pitt, California, Stanford, and yes even Clemson.  And many others 

25 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I'm pretty excited to never have anything to do with the golden domers.  Let them fall into irrelevance just like army Princeton and all the "used to be's"

Na. I'd rather pound them into irrelevance.

1 hour ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Very well could say the same for Auburn.

Compare Auburns last 25 years to Notre Dame's. Auburn has played in 2 Nat Championship games in the last 7 years, and you wanna scoff at that? Great fan you are. My point is many act like playing Notre Dame is some big deal. Its not. 30 years ago maybe. They are has beens. 

1 hour ago, augolf1716 said:

Too scare to play the Lobos

Bring on the Lobos.I would rather play them as Mercer.

4 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

What in the heck does the FSU of the 70's have to do with AU now? I'm all for playing ND, not rabid about it like some AU fans are, but this comment makes zero sense to me. When was the last time ND was really relevant for more than a flash in the pan year. Recruits haven't thought so in years.

AU now has nothing to do with FSU in the 70s...I am saying that Auburn should be willing to play anybody, anywhere and not tip toe around folks so the sched isn't too heavy, as I get the feeling today.   Get that reputation, "anybody, anywhere."

If we bolster the sched and keep playing (and beating) big names, we benefit in several ways.   ND is a name, but not relevant.  I like the Penn St game also.  I travelled to the USC game in LA.  Would love to play Texas again....Let's get Nebraska on the sched.   UCLA....you get my point - line up storied programs and beat them.  I am tired to playing Clemson.  I know they are relevant, but tired of them.   

I do like the upcoming Oregon game - FWIW.  I will make that one for sure.  And Cal.  Hopefully Washington. 

30 minutes ago, Beaker said:

AU now has nothing to do with FSU in the 70s...I am saying that Auburn should be willing to play anybody, anywhere and not tip toe around folks so the sched isn't too heavy, as I get the feeling today.   Get that reputation, "anybody, anywhere."

If we bolster the sched and keep playing (and beating) big names, we benefit in several ways.   ND is a name, but not relevant.  I like the Penn St game also.  I travelled to the USC game in LA.  Would love to play Texas again....Let's get Nebraska on the sched.   UCLA....you get my point - line up storied programs and beat them.  I am tired to playing Clemson.  I know they are relevant, but tired of them.   

I do like the upcoming Oregon game - FWIW.  I will make that one for sure.  And Cal.  Hopefully Washington. 

I'm not saying I disagree with your post but FSU 70s and Auburn ever in its history are not even remotely the same.  FSU had no history prior to Bowden.  They had to take that moniker.  Auburn doesn't.  Much like Virginia Tech before Beamer.  

As to that I am ok with 1 cupcake.  2 medium level games against non traditional powers and 1 strong occ game each year.  

I like the diversity now with the West coast games but will be impossible for someone like myself to attend with 4 boys total and 3 still at home.  Attending college football games especially over night away games for a family has become an upper middle class event.  Middle middle and lower middle can't afford to hold season tickets or attend away games.  The horrible cupcake games I can grab 4-5 tickets at or below face value and drive in for a home game grab a meal or 2 and still drop $300-$400.  So all these "big name" games have a price for us lowly teacher salaries. 

Archived