Auburn and Notre Dame want to play

WDE_OxPx_2010

1 minute ago, corchjay said:

I'm not saying I disagree with your post but FSU 70s and Auburn ever in its history are not even remotely the same.  FSU had no history prior to Bowden.  They had to take that moniker.  Auburn doesn't.  Much like Virginia Tech before Beamer.  

As to that I am ok with 1 cupcake.  2 medium level games against non traditional powers and 1 strong occ game each year.  

I like the diversity now with the West coast games but will be impossible for someone like myself to attend with 4 boys total and 3 still at home.  Attending college football games especially over night away games for a family has become an upper middle class event.  Middle middle and lower middle can't afford to hold season tickets or attend away games.  The horrible cupcake games I can grab 4-5 tickets at or below face value and drive in for a home game grab a meal or 2 and still drop $300-$400.  So all these "big name" games have a price for us lowly teacher salaries. 

Thanks for your points....and respect them.   I think Auburn can bolster their nat'l rep by playing these noteworthy teams.  And we could use that boost.  I live in TX and not everyone respects us (shocker! ).  Ha ha

If this helps:  there is hope on the horizon - I too am a teacher and my last is in college (at Auburn).  So I plan on taking in more than 1 or 2 games in the near future or 1 home and 1 travel game like Cal, Penn St or such.  I am getting 'there'.   You're right, it's just plain exepensive!  

8 hours ago, Beaker said:

Thanks for your points....and respect them.   I think Auburn can bolster their nat'l rep by playing these noteworthy teams.  And we could use that boost.  I live in TX and not everyone respects us (shocker! ).  Ha ha

If this helps:  there is hope on the horizon - I too am a teacher and my last is in college (at Auburn).  So I plan on taking in more than 1 or 2 games in the near future or 1 home and 1 travel game like Cal, Penn St or such.  I am getting 'there'.   You're right, it's just plain exepensive!  

IMO if we win the sec west we will not need any bolstering. We will be in the sec championship and win that and your in the playoffs,what more do you need. The sec is a tough schedule already and then add Clemson it is real tough,you may be tired of Clemson but right now they are the best of the best.I'm ok with dropping Clemson and adding  a weaker ND or Texas though.

12 hours ago, boisnumber1 said:

Compare Auburns last 25 years to Notre Dame's. Auburn has played in 2 Nat Championship games in the last 7 years, and you wanna scoff at that? Great fan you are. My point is many act like playing Notre Dame is some big deal. Its not. 30 years ago maybe. They are has beens. 

Don't call out my fandom because I'm realistic. ND has played for at least 1 Natty in the last 7 years. More than most schools can say.

The last 25 years we've actually been pretty similar. They don't have an entire network following them for nothing.

Real story line here is how bizarre it is we have not played Notre Dame ever before. Two of the top 12 best football programs of all time, one of OUR greatest coaches (Donahue) not only came to us from Notre Dame but was so eternally tied to the Dome he had Auburn wear GREEN jerseys for a few games. 

21 hours ago, gr82be said:

Not doubting the great relationship part but JJ knows we haven't played them before. If he wants to schedule ND then figure the thing out and make it happen for crying out loud. Swarbrick appears to be on board. 

Read the article...

"There's one problem: Auburn and Notre Dame's schedules are pretty much locked up for the next eight years. The Tigers have an opening for a Power 5 opponent in 2020, but Notre Dame is already scheduled to play SEC team Arkansas."

Notre Dame is one of the hardest teams to schedule because, without a conference affiliation, they have to schedule every single game, which means they need to schedule very far out to make sure their schedule is even remotely respectable.

I would expect that Swarbrick is going to reserve a spot for Auburn for the next available season.  That season may, however, be 2026 or later, by which time he and Jacobs may not be with their respective schools.

23 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Don't call out my fandom because I'm realistic. ND has played for at least 1 Natty in the last 7 years. More than most schools can say.

The last 25 years we've actually been pretty similar. They don't have an entire network following them for nothing.

Exactly. I was curious so here is the past 25 seasons W/L for both. Auburn 207-102-2, Notre Dame 204-112-2. Not enough difference to matter. Some might argue our schedule but ND plays a pretty decent schedule each year too. 

24 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Read the article...

"There's one problem: Auburn and Notre Dame's schedules are pretty much locked up for the next eight years. The Tigers have an opening for a Power 5 opponent in 2020, but Notre Dame is already scheduled to play SEC team Arkansas."

Notre Dame is one of the hardest teams to schedule because, without a conference affiliation, they have to schedule every single game, which means they need to schedule very far out to make sure their schedule is even remotely respectable.

I would expect that Swarbrick is going to reserve a spot for Auburn for the next available season.  That season may, however, be 2026 or later, by which time he and Jacobs may not be with their respective schools.

I don't believe my post said 2020 or any specific year. 

4 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't believe my post said 2020 or any specific year. 

It didn't... it said "make it happen", as if it's as easy as declaring it so. I pointed out that the article stated that they can't for at least 8 years.  I also added that even then it might not happen because of the difficulty in scheduling Notre Dame and the fact the either or both of the ADs in question may not still be around by the time they can schedule the game.

22 hours ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Very well could say the same for Auburn.

Uh....no. 2004, 2010, 2013 and much of 2014 say "Hello! Forget us?"  Also, there have been some pretty good seasons before and in between all of those. AU is an elite program which given the historic difficulty of the schedule our Tigers play is saying something.  I don't get why so many AU fans don't get this unless it's some sort of bammer eny.

17 hours ago, corchjay said:

I'm not saying I disagree with your post but FSU 70s and Auburn ever in its history are not even remotely the same.  FSU had no history prior to Bowden.  They had to take that moniker.  Auburn doesn't.  Much like Virginia Tech before Beamer.  

As to that I am ok with 1 cupcake.  2 medium level games against non traditional powers and 1 strong occ game each year.  

I like the diversity now with the West coast games but will be impossible for someone like myself to attend with 4 boys total and 3 still at home.  Attending college football games especially over night away games for a family has become an upper middle class event.  Middle middle and lower middle can't afford to hold season tickets or attend away games.  The horrible cupcake games I can grab 4-5 tickets at or below face value and drive in for a home game grab a meal or 2 and still drop $300-$400.  So all these "big name" games have a price for us lowly teacher salaries. 

Preach!

For me, @TAMU is the only realistic chance to catch a game and that, even with the coaching network, is a small fortune.

2 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Uh....no. 2004, 2010, 2013 and much of 2014 say "Hello! Forget us?"  Also, there have been some pretty good seasons before and in between all of those. AU is an elite program which given the historic difficulty of the schedule our Tigers play is saying something.  I don't get why so many AU fans don't get this unless it's some sort of bammer eny.

Orange and Blue glasses. That's all I can say.

40 minutes ago, WDE_OxPx_2010 said:

Orange and Blue glasses. That's all I can say.

Beats crimson is all I can say.

Archived