Borges impact on the offense

tigerman1186

I know last week coach Chip got a lot of attention at the media days, but how much can/will coach Borges impact the offense??? What will his role be???

Good question.  Al has a history of being a good developer of QBs; but I'm not sure how much, in his off-the-field role, he'll be able to work with the QBs.

i would bet the farm al earns his pay.....but that is just me.

Just now, triangletiger said:

Good question.  Al has a history of being a good developer of QBs; but I'm not sure how much, in his off-the-field role, he'll be able to work with the QBs.

with chip being a qb guru i bet al looks for ways to take advantage of other teams d's.

10 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

I know last week coach Chip got a lot of attention at the media days, but how much can/will coach Borges impact the offense??? What will his role be???

We will never know.  It will all happen very quietly, behind the scenes...

10 hours ago, tigerman1186 said:

Very good question. Not sure anyone can answer this right now. I'd say Al will help most in the film room helping break down defenses, which Al is very good at doing. Don't think Al will be that involved in the game planning. 

11 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

Very good question. Not sure anyone can answer this right now. I'd say Al will help most in the film room helping break down defenses, which Al is very good at doing. Don't think Al will be that involved in the game planning. 

I'm hoping it means 3 wide receivers, a tight end, and fullback all shift about 8 times prior to a straight ahead dive play.

2 minutes ago, AUDevil said:

I'm hoping it means 3 wide receivers, a tight end, and fullback all shift about 8 times prior to a straight ahead dive play.

Eye-candy

Having Al in the film room will be a huge asset!!!

Also, as stated, he will not be hands on with the QBs but he will be able to watch them and give Chip a little helpful input. 

Like fifty said, he will help with exposing opponents weaknesses on D, and he will definitely earn his pay. 

I hope Al shows his benefit by getting in with Chip and drawing up plays/scheming the offense to best take advantage of our QB and play makers. He had a major impact in 2004, when we had Jason Campbell (who is perhaps the closest QB we've had to Stidham in recent memory), a very talented RB group (we have some good ones), a very talented WR corps (our current group has this type of potential), and a good TE or two (we hopefully have a couple of those now too). 

We have to find better ways to get these guys the ball. 

From what my buddy who is a small college coach has told me, more than likely Borges will be helping break down game film for the next weeks opponent while the on the field coaches spend time getting the current weeks game plan in place with the players.

I think Borges is here to help with tendencies, but his biggest impact will be helping chip figure better ways to get kerryon and Bubba on the field together, or how to balance using both better(more even)

As mentioned, Borges will be breaking down film. His strength will be determining tendencies and how to exploit them.

43 minutes ago, alexava said:

I hope he will be mentoring our 27 year old wr coach. 

I think you'll find that Chip will be doing that, along with Gus, who should have more time for those parts of his job. Both are very fond of Kodi and have a solid relationship with him.

Given that he's so good with formation adjustments that cause defenses problems, I'm hoping he has some input and we see some of his creativity in the formations we show offensively. That's an area that I think Gus lacked at times. We'd see a lot of the same formations and same plays run from those formations. I think Borges is a great addition to the staff.

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

Given that he's so good with formation adjustments that cause defenses problems, I'm hoping he has some input and we see some of his creativity in the formations we show offensively. That's an area that I think Gus lacked at times. We'd see a lot of the same formations and same plays run from those formations. I think Borges is a great addition to the staff.

You have 2 completely different coaching styles, both that work well when properly executed.  

Borges is all about motion, shifting before the snap so defenses have less time to figure out where you are coming from.  Malzahn, on the other hand, is all about running multiple packages out of the same look, so you have to guess what's going to be run. Both of these things are complicated and require solid execution to be effective.  In Borges's case, you need to get lined up correctly after the shifting and the center and QB need to be focused as to not jump the gun.  In Gus's case, you need very flexible skill players who can do it all, so you don't need to substitute, which gives away the mystery.

My guess is that you're going to see us sticking to Gus's small number of formations running a lot of different plays, but you are going to see it executed at a high level because of the quality of our skilled players.  Hopefully the majority of our substitutions on O are going to come from keeping players stamina up and not because we need certain players to run certain plays.

I bet Al will help the QB's more and more as the season rocks on. He did an awesome job with Jason Campbell.

I hope Al does what Chip wants him to do and nothing more.  The possibility of having too many cooks in the kitchen gives me heartburn.  We've seen that before, under Tub. 

Al Borges will be sounding board for Auburn offense 

AUBURN, Ala. — Gorgeous Al Borges is back on the Plains, and his goal is simple.

The former Auburn offensive coordinator is an off-the-field analyst for the Tigers, meaning he is unable to coach players on the field.

What he can do, however, is coach up the coaches. Yes, the veteran play caller will be called upon to offer his advice — and even interject — when the need arises behind closed doors at the Auburn athletics complex.

Both Borges and former Opelika High coach Brian Blackmon will serve as first-year offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey's right-hand men.

“Al will be a sounding board for Chip, just a guy with wisdom who has been in this league, which I think is very important,” Auburn coach Gus Malzahn said. “He’s been successful in this league.”

Auburn was 41-9 during Borges tenure as coordinator (2004-2007), including four victories in the Iron Bowl. He coached Jason Campbell during his stellar career at quarterback and Auburn’s 2004 offense scored 34 points or more in six SEC games.

“He is going to help Chip with what we do and it’s not just him,” Malzahn said. “Brian Blackmon is a very good offensive guy, too. Those two guys will assist Chip.”

Blackmon was 69-25 overall with an 11-7 record in the playoffs in his eight seasons as Opelika’s head coach. His teams won region titles in each of the last three seasons, combining for a 34-5 record during that span.

Borges is expected to focus on the tight ends as he assists with position coach Larry Porter.

“You know what, I met Al when I was a high school coach in this state, so I’ve known him for a long time, and I know he’s excited to be back in Auburn," Lindsey said in May.

http://auburn.247sports.com/Bolt/Al-Borges-will-be-sounding-board-for-Auburn-offense-101602118

Another reason to think these beat writers must be watching this site.  This topic comes up today and magically there is an article. 

3 hours ago, lkeel75 said:

Another reason to think these beat writers must be watching this site.  This topic comes up today and magically there is an article. 

Think... heck, know.  They know where their readers are and they are going to pander to get the clicks.

Borges isn't the QB whisperer you guys think he is.  Petrino was the biggest influence for Jason Campbell.  He taught Jason that about 3-4 times in a game your are going to get smashed in the face as you complete your pass.  What Borges did bring to the offense was effective schemes for our balanced offense and he played chess with the defensive coordinators with his talent in hand.  One thing I do like is having Al in the meetings for game planning because he knows how to find weaknesses in talent and defensive scheme.  I'm not sure Gus is really a master at either of those.  Gus and Chip are "scheme" guys.  Meaning they are much like a triple option offense if you can't stop it they will destroy you but if you can stop it they have trouble adjusting.  Granted I don't know how well Chip adjusts yet but maybe ol' Gorgeous Borges can help him there.  Al's personality will fit in great with this staff and I know he and his wife love Auburn.  Maybe he can help our offensive staff identify which safety to attack, which linebackers to get in space, which defensive end runs himself out of running lanes.  That's what Borges really excels at.  

10 minutes ago, corchjay said:

One thing I do like is having Al in the meetings for game planning because he knows how to find weaknesses in talent and defensive scheme.  

This has been one of our biggest weaknesses.  I am glad too to have a proven coach that excells at this as a sounding board.

Archived