aubiefifty

scouting report: Georgia Southern

36 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, Knowing the hierarchy of the triple option(1.dive 2. QB keep 3. Pitch), I would run it out if our base 4-3 D, but would walk down one of the safeties to give a 4-4-3 look.  My Tackles would align in a 2i or 3 depending on strength and squeeze to take the dive. The ILB would play dive. The DE would align in 5s and crash to take the QB.  I would sink the OLB and walked down safety to 3x3 and task them with the QB as well.  We would man up the corners and have a single high MOF safety responsible for pitch. That would give a balanced look with two for dive(DT and ILB), two for QB(DE and OLB/S), and 1 for pitch(middle safety) on both sides.  We would declare strength to the 3 man surface in the MOF and towards field when on the hash.

I would do totally opposite

4 people like this

6 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

I would do totally opposite

And we would win 100-0

2 people like this

23 hours ago, bigbird said:

For me, Knowing the hierarchy of the triple option(1.dive 2. QB keep 3. Pitch), I would run it out if our base 4-3 D, but would walk down one of the safeties to give a 4-4-3 look.  My Tackles would align in a 2i or 3 depending on strength and squeeze to take the dive. The ILB would play dive. The DE would align in 5s and crash to take the QB.  I would sink the OLB and walked down safety to 3x3 and task them with the QB as well.  We would man up the corners and have a single high MOF safety responsible for pitch. That would give a balanced look with two for dive(DT and ILB), two for QB(DE and OLB/S), and 1 for pitch(middle safety) on both sides.  We would declare strength to the 3 man surface in the MOF and towards field when on the hash.

I think I know football then I hear a real FOOTBALL COACH explain what to do and I realize I am not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for this explanation. Sorry Golf for saying nice things about Bird. LOL

Edited by AuburnNTexas
1 person likes this

4 minutes ago, AuburnNTexas said:

I think I know football then I hear a real FOOTBALL COACH explain what to do and I realize I am not as smart as I think I am. Thanks for this explanation. Sorry Golf for saying nice things about Bird. LOL

I figured bird was pulling our leg.....I'm more for using the 10-1 defense....and put everyone on the ground that does not have a 60 or 70 on his jersey. :)

1 person likes this

The important thing is the triple option will be as new to GSUs offensive players as it is to AU's defensive players. GSU has not run the triple option since 2013. Only the true freshmen players have been recruited for the system. The existing players were recruited into a multiple WR spread-option team. GSU also lost its top RB. They will be in a complete rebuilding year on offense.

It will be GSU's first game as well as ours.

The triple option itself is just one play in GSU's new playbook. Georgia Tech runs a wide variety of plays, and not just the triple-option over and over and over. Sometimes it is the other plays which can burn you. The good thing is there is plenty of film from Georgia Tech, Navy, and Army out there.

With the triple option, as with any option play, the defense gets to choose who gets the ball. If a defense can come up with a scheme to force the play to a particular runner, and prevent that runner from getting yardage, it is defended.

Of course, that is where constraint plays come in, and GA Tech's playbook has a lot of those.

I found this. I had forgotten Oregon ran the triple option out of its spread formation against us a fair amount in the 2010 BCS game.

On 7/17/2017 at 4:17 PM, CleCoTiger said:

I gotta say that I hate having to play a team that runs the triple option if that team runs it well.  I know that the triple option is out of favor, but for teams with lesser talent that style of offense can be a great equalizer.  Assignment football and all that, but man, all that running side to side and trying to figure out where the ball is can wear on even a good defense.

Dunno if anyone else recalls old games like bammer vs. Army in the 1988 Sun Bowl or our AU Tigers vs. Army in the 1996 Independence Bowl, but based on sheer talent differential neither of those games should have been close.  Were they close? You're dang tootin' they were.  In '88, bammer escaped 29-28 after scoring 9 unanswered points in the 4th quarter. In 1996, our AU Tigers were seemingly well in control up until the 4th quarter, leading 32-7 after 3.  Army's wishbone attack reeled off 22 points in the 4th and at the end I was sweating the outcome. Our AU Tigers won 32-29.

But Army's triple option did nothing against our defense. They came back when their QB who couldnt pass started completing throws all over against our D. We had relaxed & quite honestly, didnt expect them to execute throwing the ball like they did. One of those times where we made a 1 star qb look like a heisman contender.

Edited by boisnumber1
Cus

I grew up in a Georgia Southern family and have followed them my entire life. We are fortunate to have them scheduled when we do. They are losing two darn good quarterbacks that would've made the game competitive. This is also their return to the TO after their new coach thought it would be good to shift away from it. So long story short, it'll be a freshman quarterbacks first college game ever running a playbook that he's never ran before against a good defense. We will win by 24+

3 people like this