scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

15 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

By WRs, I assume you mean DBs (being cut-blocked by GSU WRs).

Oh gosh. Yes... DBs. Not sure what I was thinking. And its usually the H-back (our version of a TE), that is doing most of the cut-blocking. You can see it in this video clip several times in our bowl game against Bowling Green in 2015. Check timestamps - :30, :35, :40, :45. In almost all of those examples the guy is getting cut down in open space on the edge, so your linemen don't really have to worry about their knees much. Our offense this season will be slightly different than in 2015 but I don't anticipate our linemen being on the ground nearly as much as you would have seen in an option offense a decade or two ago. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Oh gosh. Yes... DBs. Not sure what I was thinking. And its usually the H-back (our version of a TE), that is doing most of the cut-blocking. You can see it in this video clip several times in our bowl game against Bowling Green in 2015. Check timestamps - :30, :35, :40, :45. In almost all of those examples the guy is getting cut down in open space on the edge, so you're linemen don't really have to worry about their knees much. Our offense this season will be slightly different than in 2015 but I don't anticipate our linemen being on the ground nearly as much as you would have seen in an option offense a decade or two ago. 

I see what you mean - the cut-blocks are occurring in the open field and are providing just enough of a delay in the pursuit to spring the ball carrier free.

On another note, I'd love to have Del McGee on our coaching staff one of these days, if Horton decides it's time to try his hand at being a HC.  I know he's at UGA now, but he just seems like he'd be a good fit on Gus' staff - being an former HS coach and an Auburn alumnus.

15 minutes ago, triangletiger said:

On another note, I'd love to have Del McGee on our coaching staff one of these days, if Horton decides it's time to try his hand at being a HC.  I know he's at UGA now, but he just seems like he'd be a good fit on Gus' staff - being an former HS coach and an Auburn alumnus.

Believe me, there isn't a GS fan around that wouldn't take him back in an instant, and NOT because last season was such a train wreck. He's just an all-around great guy and was a really good RB coach. I could see him being an FBS HC in the future once he's got a little bit more coordinator experience under his belt. 

Edit: On a side note (I live in Statesboro) I drove out of my neighborhood after lunch today and saw the guy that lives a few doors down has a AU flag flying on his garage. He must have just hung it up in the last day or so. 

8 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Believe me, there isn't a GS fan around that wouldn't take him back in an instant, and NOT because last season was such a train wreck. He's just an all-around great guy and was a really good RB coach. I could see him being an FBS HC in the future once he's got a little bit more coordinator experience under his belt. 

Edit: On a side note (I live in Statesboro) I drove out of my neighborhood after lunch today and saw the guy that lives a few doors down has a AU flag flying on his garage. He must have just hung it up in the last day or so. 

Some time ago but, when I was in the neighborhood, I was kind'a an Erk Russel fan.

11 minutes ago, AUld fAUx@ said:

Some time ago but, when I was in the neighborhood, I was kind'a an Erk Russel fan.

After he passed GS put a bust right outside the locker room as players enter the field that they head butt on their way onto the field during game day. 

tightend-james-dean-of-the-georgia-south

This will be an absolute barrage of Stidham long balls. GSU pass rush is weak. AU OL is a strength. Stidham will have time and will rack up some gaudy stats in this one. I do expect the triple option to sustain some drives, but once AU is up a few TDs, GSU has to start throwing and that's when the wheels come off. That's how I see this one playing out through my O & B glasses. 

10 minutes ago, Aubiewood said:

This will be an absolute barrage of Stidham long balls. GSU pass rush is weak. AU OL is a strength. Stidham will have time and will rack up some gaudy stats in this one. I do expect the triple option to sustain some drives, but once AU is up a few TDs, GSU has to start throwing and that's when the wheels come off. That's how I see this one playing out through my O & B glasses. 

Definitely something that is concerning. If Stidham has all day to throw then this game could get out of hand quickly. Our DB's are actually pretty good, but not much they can do if the WR's are allowed time to get open. 

20 hours ago, truebluealum said:

Not really. As I've explained already chop blocking is illegal and we hopefully shouldn't get called for it. Cut blocking IS legal but most of the cut blocking is going to happen to your WR's and LB's out in open space and not your DL. When cut blocking happens out in open space injuries are just as infrequent as any other type of block.  

I think the point people are making is that accidental chop blocking is not uncommon in a triple option, especially when the team running it is new to the scheme. There are so many moving parts that one guy on the line missing his assignment, or getting confused, can cause it.  It happened to us a couple of times when we were running the read option with Nick Marshall, and that was with a very, very good O-Line.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I think the point people are making is that accidental chop blocking is not uncommon in a triple option, especially when the team running it is new to the scheme. There are so many moving parts that one guy on the line missing his assignment, or getting confused, can cause it.  It happened to us a couple of times when we were running the read option with Nick Marshall, and that was with a very, very good O-Line.

No doubt. Just trying to dismiss the rumor that people get hurt more often playing against Triple Option teams because of the cut-blocking. And yeah you're right I anticipate we'll get called for at least one during the game, usually on the goal-line* as we are about to score. :)

*Inside joke with GS fans. In more than one of our SEC games we've gotten called for a phantom chop-block on the goal line as we were about to score. 

2 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

No doubt. Just trying to dismiss the rumor that people get hurt more often playing against Triple Option teams because of the cut-blocking. And yeah you're right I anticipate we'll get called for at least one during the game, usually on the goal-line* as we are about to score. :)

*Inside joke with GS fans. In more than one of our SEC games we've gotten called for a phantom chop-block on the goal line as we were about to score. 

I'm not sure who will be calling the game, but if it's SEC refs, I wouldn't be surprised if we both got hosed on several calls. It seems like they get worse every year.

Just now, lionheartkc said:

I'm not sure who will be calling the game, but if it's SEC refs, I wouldn't be surprised if we both got hosed on several calls. It seems like they get worse every year.

Haha yeah. I can guarantee you the Sun Belt refs aren't any better, but I'm just pumped that college football is just a few days away. 

I don't expect us to sling it everywhere anyways. We should have no problem running the ball so I imagine 70% of our plays will be the run. Gus never likes to show his full hand when he doesn't have to. I expect GS to turn the ball over quite a bit with the inexperienced offense they have this season 

22 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I don't expect us to sling it everywhere anyways. We should have no problem running the ball so I imagine 70% of our plays will be the run. Gus never likes to show his full hand when he doesn't have to. I expect GS to turn the ball over quite a bit with the inexperienced offense they have this season 

Our run defense, who knows. Historically we've been great at it, but our DL (like I stated above) is a bit of a question mark this year. They are really fast (I've seen them in person), but I wonder how they'll handle the interior running game. 

As for the offense, both our starting RB's are veterans. Our starting slot back that will be handling most of the pitches is a veteran. Our entire OL are returners. Our starting WR's all played last season too. I'm not sure where people keep getting this "inexperienced" bit from. The only truly NEW face is the QB and he came from a spread option offense in HS and looked quite comfortable running the TO offense in scrimmages this fall. Don't get me wrong there are certainly going to be some blatant miscues, but I don't expect it to be a turnover fest September 2. 

Edit: We are still outmatched, but not inexperienced. 

23 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Our run defense, who knows. Historically we've been great at it, but our DL (like I stated above) is a bit of a question mark this year. They are really fast (I've seen them in person), but I wonder how they'll handle the interior running game. 

As for the offense, both our starting RB's are veterans. Our starting slot back that will be handling most of the pitches is a veteran. Our entire OL are returners. Our starting WR's all played last season too. I'm not sure where people keep getting this "inexperienced" bit from. The only truly NEW face is the QB and he came from a spread option offense in HS and looked quite comfortable running the TO offense in scrimmages this fall. Don't get me wrong there are certainly going to be some blatant miscues, but I don't expect it to be a turnover fest September 2. 

Edit: We are still outmatched, but not inexperienced. 

It's easy to say that when all you play is sun belt teams... isn't GS predicted to finish 7th in the sun belt this season? I like your sunshine 

17 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

I'm not sure where people keep getting this "inexperienced" bit from.

Partially because many of them, while older players, are new to the starting roll, but mostly because they are all learning a new offense under a new OC. I don't care how experienced you are or how talented, breaking in a new scheme on the road in your first game is never easy.... especially when facing a D who could be one of the best in the country.  The upside is that after 60 minutes of trial by fire, your guys should be more than ready to face anything the Sun Belt can throw at them. 

41 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

It's easy to say that when all you play is sun belt teams... isn't GS predicted to finish 7th in the sun belt this season? I like your sunshine 

Haha yep, but I bet we don't finish lower than 3rd. And what does being inexperienced or experienced have to do with playing in the Sun Belt? I'm not predicting us to win this game btw - all I said was that we were not inexperienced like people keep saying. More than half our offense were starters last season. 

15 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Haha yep, but I bet we don't finish lower than 3rd. And what does being inexperienced or experienced have to do with playing in the Sun Belt? I'm not predicting us to win this game btw - all I said was that we were not inexperienced like people keep saying. More than half our offense were starters last season. 

You're playing a 3rd string QB. Your DL is also inexperienced and you're breaking in a new system. You also struggled against sun belt defenses last season.  I hope you folks don't believe our defense is equivalent to ole misses :). But you actually would have a shot if this game was played last year instead of this one. 

No offence, but App St, Troy and South Alabama would scare me way more 

Ga Southern has a worthy offense that could put up a couple TDs on our top 10 caliber starting D. The resulting avalanche of media disrespect would have an angry Auburn D show up with a very bad attitude against Clemson. 

28 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

You're playing a 3rd string QB. Your DL is also inexperienced and you're breaking in a new system. You also struggled against sun belt defenses last season.  I hope you folks don't believe our defense is equivalent to ole misses :). But you actually would have a shot if this game was played last year instead of this one. 

No offence, but App St, Troy and South Alabama would scare me way more 

3rd string QB? We've pretty much known since he was recruited 2 years ago that he would be our starter in 2017 because the 2 guys in front of him were seniors. Nobody on our end thinks you're going to be as bad as that Ole Miss team we played last season. Most of us recognize you're a legitimate top 10 team.

Last year was an anomaly, if you don't believe me look at the history of our program. There's a reason we are #15 in All-Time win% (by the way, you guys are #17), I obviously expect this statistic to change some since we've moved up to FBS, but we don't have many losing seasons and 2017 will not be one of them.

I take no offense to your last statement so don't worry :) . But we did beat 2/3 of those teams you mentioned last year in what was our 2nd worst year in program history. 

I'll reiterate just in case - I'm not trying to argue that we are going to win this game, but I'm not blowing sunshine up anybodies rear end. We should be a pretty darn good team this year, and yes we will have some growing pains the first few weeks. I'm of the opinion though that the 35 point spread may be giving some people false expectations. I will be utterly SHOCKED if we do not cover that spread. 

19 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

3rd string QB? We've pretty much known since he was recruited 2 years ago that he would be our starter in 2017 because the 2 guys in front of him were seniors. Nobody on our end thinks you're going to be as bad as that Ole Miss team we played last season. Most of us recognize you're a legitimate top 10 team.

Last year was an anomaly, if you don't believe me look at the history of our program. There's a reason we are #15 in All-Time win% (by the way, you guys are #17), I obviously expect this statistic to change some since we've moved up to FBS, but we don't have many losing seasons and 2017 will not be one of them.

I take no offense to your last statement so don't worry :) . But we did beat 2/3 of those teams you mentioned last year in what was our 2nd worst year in program history. 

I'll reiterate just in case - I'm not trying to argue that we are going to win this game, but I'm not blowing sunshine up anybodies rear end. We should be a pretty darn good team this year, and yes we will have some growing pains the first few weeks. I'm of the opinion though that the 35 point spread may be giving some people false expectations. I will be utterly SHOCKED if we do not cover that spread. 

Oh please. Shuman was the 2nd string QB and was supposed to start this year before he chose baseball. Not even gonna touch that win % thing because you played in the fcs and now the sunbelt so it isn't even comparable. I wouldn't be shocked if y'all did cover the spread but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. Anyways, good luck to y'all 

16 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Oh please. Shuman was the 2nd string QB and was supposed to start this year before he chose baseball. You're not fooling anyone with the "our QB started because he was a senior" thing. The best QB starts period regardless of his class. Not even gonna touch that win % thing because you played in the fcs and now the sunbelt so it isn't even comparable. I wouldn't be shocked if y'all did cover the spread but I wouldn't be surprised if you didn't. Anyways, good luck to y'all 

What you meant to say was "The best QB for the system you're running starts regardless of his class." For the system we were running last year Shuman was the better option because our offensive staff blew up our QB's ability to make plays with his feet. So it made sense to burn the redshirt of the guy who was the better passer. Shuman made the right choice in sticking to baseball because he was going to be #2 or #3 in our offensive system this year.

Hell, there are about 2 or 3 threads on this very forum discussing the same thing. Despite SW's injuries JS is still likely the better QB for the system you guys are running this year. If you were still running some sort of read-option hybrid SW's chances of starting are probably higher. 

But best of luck to you as well! 

Archived