scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I'm never one to underestimate a team but considering GS is replacing almost their entire DL and LB core, I don't see them having a chance in this one. 

No doubt that is the biggest question mark we have. I'm not really concerned about our offense. I'm concerned about keeping you guys out of the end zone. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
26 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Hell, there are about 2 or 3 threads on this very forum discussing the same thing. Despite SW's injuries JS is still likely the better QB for the system you guys are running this year. If you were still running some sort of read-option hybrid SW's chances of starting are probably higher. 

Going to have to call you out on this one. Our new system is actually better for White than what we ran the last 2 years (it will likely still be a read-option hybrid with more run-pass options), and were he 100%, he'd probably thrive in it.  Stidham is just a better overall QB with the potential to be one of the best in the country. Our system change has nothing to do with who's starting for us.

9 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Going to have to call you out on this one. Our new system is actually better for White than what we ran the last 2 years (it will likely still be a read-option hybrid with more run-pass options), and were he 100%, he'd probably thrive in it.  Stidham is just a better overall QB with the potential to be one of the best in the country. Our system change has nothing to do with who's starting for us.

Im just basing that opinion off of other things I've read in threads about your QB battle. Obviously you know way more than I do about your offense. I do know that Sean White is pretty accurate with the football but if your OC is planning to increase your downfield passing (as evidenced by your spring game, scrimmages, and comments made to the media) then I would have to imagine Stidham is the better fit. I don't think I'm completely off base. But nevertheless I'll admit that maybe I was wrong. 

(Doesn't change the reality of what our offense faced last year though.)

Either way you guys were in a good position to have two outstanding QBs fighting for the spot. And it's a shame that SW is still battling injury. 

4 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Im just basing that opinion off of other things I've read in threads about your QB battle. Obviously you know way more than I do about your offense. I do know that Sean White is pretty accurate with the football but if your OC is planning to increase your downfield passing (as evidenced by your spring game, scrimmages, and comments made to the media) then I would have to imagine Stidham is the better fit. I don't think I'm completely off base. But nevertheless I'll admit that maybe I was wrong. 

(Doesn't change the reality of what our offense faced last year though.)

Either way you guys were in a good position to have two outstanding QBs fighting for the spot. And it's a shame that SW is still battling injury. 

You aren't wrong. You just conflated Stidham being a better passer (and therefore a better fit for an offense that intends to throw it more often) with White being better suited for a more run and/or read option oriented offense. Stidham is just a better quarterback, period. White's chances of starting wouldn't be any better in last years offense vs. whatever differences we may see this season.

5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

You aren't wrong. You just conflated Stidham being a better passer (and therefore a better fit for an offense that intends to throw it more often) with White being better suited for a more run and/or read option oriented offense. Stidham is just a better quarterback, period. White's chances of starting wouldn't be any better in last years offense vs. whatever differences we may see this season.

Couldn't agree with this more. I think QB was decided long before fall camp started bit wanted it to look legit. jo but I personally don't think SW had a shot at QB1. 

21 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

I don't expect us to sling it everywhere anyways. We should have no problem running the ball so I imagine 70% of our plays will be the run. Gus never likes to show his full hand when he doesn't have to. I expect GS to turn the ball over quite a bit with the inexperienced offense they have this season 

I do. I believe it was Bryan Matthews (and maybe a couple others) that said he thinks Auburn will open it up early and show the passing game heavy in the first half. He thinks they want to impress a certain recruit who has said he wants to see certain offenses perform. BMatt also thinks it will be a good way to get some passing schemes on film for Clemson to have to prepare for. 

I don't think we will throw it all game or that we will have more pass attempts than runs, but I definitely think we have plans to show the passing game early against GaSo.

@truebluealum question about your offense this year. Is it going to be a true triple option look, a la Ga Tech in previous seasons (considering you have their OC now,) or will it look more like the New Mexico triple option attack from the pistol and shotgun formations? And is it going to be strictly TO or will they mix in some spread, zone read schemes into the playbook similar to what was run last year? 

7 minutes ago, boomstick said:

I do. I believe it was Bryan Matthews (and maybe a couple others) that said he thinks Auburn will open it up early and show the passing game heavy in the first half. He thinks they want to impress a certain recruit who has said he wants to see certain offenses perform. BMatt also thinks it will be a good way to get some passing schemes on film for Clemson to have to prepare for. 

I don't think we will throw it all game or that we will have more pass attempts than runs, but I definitely think we have plans to show the passing game early against GaSo.

Don't think a Gus team will ever have as many passing attempts as runs...EVER....well, except in a desperation effort it's possible I guess..but very unlikely..

Stidham or whoever....I  still see us in the 60:40 range of runs to passes and more likely 65:35 in a typical game.  We have some serious RB talent and IMO it will be put to good use....starting against Ga Southern. 

Get in a few good vanilla pass plays but why show Clemson anything we don't have to ?

1 hour ago, boomstick said:

@truebluealum question about your offense this year. Is it going to be a true triple option look, a la Ga Tech in previous seasons (considering you have their OC now,) or will it look more like the New Mexico triple option attack from the pistol and shotgun formations? And is it going to be strictly TO or will they mix in some spread, zone read schemes into the playbook similar to what was run last year? 

I can at least partially answer your question. Based on what our offensive coordinator has said in public interviews we will be mostly in the shotgun/pistol set this year. There will certainly be times we go under center in particular situations. You're going to see a lot of true triple option but there are also spread/zone schemes in the playbook. One thing most Triple Option coordinators have done recently is add those other schemes in there because you've got to find ways to keep the defense from crowding the box all game. 

Think more Cal Poly/New Mexico, than GT. There is a reason though your DC has said you guys are going in with a simple option game plan and will make adjustments at half-time as necessary, and thats because nobody really knows what we will look like (including us). Our coaching staff doesn't really have traditional "scrimmages" and this includes our Spring Game. It's almost purely scenarios - 1 min drill, 2 min drill, goal-line, red-zone, etc. Because of that there are very few people in Statesboro who have seen what our offense is going to look like in a normal field situation. Aside from that I know we are still implementing formations/packages so what we have seen is only a fraction of what our offense will do. 

Edit: I compare the beginning of this season to our 2014 season. We had a new staff and kinda knew what we'd be running but didn't really get to see it in full effect until our season opener against NCST. We jumped out to a 17-3 lead at halftime. Unfortunately you're not NCST. 

26 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

I can at least partially answer your question. Based on what our offensive coordinator has said in public interviews we will be mostly in the shotgun/pistol set this year. There will certainly be times we go under center in particular situations. You're going to see a lot of true triple option but there are also spread/zone schemes in the playbook. One thing most Triple Option coordinators have done recently is add those other schemes in there because you've got to find ways to keep the defense from crowding the box all game. 

Think more Cal Poly/New Mexico, than GT. There is a reason though your DC has said you guys are going in with a simple option game plan and will make adjustments at half-time as necessary, and thats because nobody really knows what we will look like (including us). Our coaching staff doesn't really have traditional "scrimmages" and this includes our Spring Game. It's almost purely scenarios - 1 min drill, 2 min drill, goal-line, red-zone, etc. Because of that there are very few people in Statesboro who have seen what our offense is going to look like in a normal field situation. Aside from that I know we are still implementing formations/packages so what we have seen is only a fraction of what our offense will do. 

Edit: I compare the beginning of this season to our 2014 season. We had a new staff and kinda knew what we'd be running but didn't really get to see it in full effect until our season opener against NCST. We jumped out to a 17-3 lead at halftime. Unfortunately you're not NCST. 

Thanks for the response. I figured (and was kinda hoping) the offense would look something like New Mexico's offense. It seems to be the new wrinkle to the triple option threat, which I really like watching. That New Mexico offense is a lot of fun. 

1 hour ago, AU64 said:

Don't think a Gus team will ever have as many passing attempts as runs...EVER....well, except in a desperation effort it's possible I guess..but very unlikely..

Stidham or whoever....I  still see us in the 60:40 range of runs to passes and more likely 65:35 in a typical game.  We have some serious RB talent and IMO it will be put to good use....starting against Ga Southern. 

Get in a few good vanilla pass plays but why show Clemson anything we don't have to ?

Agreed. And I don't think this game will be that in this game or all season. I expect a 65/35 split but with more equal production from both sides, which means much more efficiency in the passing game. But I wouldn't be at all shocked to look at the stat line at halftime and see we have as many pass attempts as run plays. I think we're going to try to show/work on our passing game early against Ga Southern. We should be able to run the ball all day. I think it's important for us to work on the passing game in the first half to make sure we're as prepared as possible for the Clemson game. Essentially, I don't think we will play this game close to the vest and not show anything. I think it will be a pretty open playbook, at least for a half.

19 minutes ago, boomstick said:

Agreed. And I don't think this game will be that in this game or all season. I expect a 65/35 split but with more equal production from both sides, which means much more efficiency in the passing game. But I wouldn't be at all shocked to look at the stat line at halftime and see we have as many pass attempts as run plays. I think we're going to try to show/work on our passing game early against Ga Southern. We should be able to run the ball all day. I think it's important for us to work on the passing game in the first half to make sure we're as prepared as possible for the Clemson game. Essentially, I don't think we will play this game close to the vest and not show anything. I think it will be a pretty open playbook, at least for a half.

Yeah, I'm with you. I think (and hope) in the first half while JS is still in we will air it way out 4-5 times. I'd much rather miss on deep shots vs. GaSo than at Clemson. Hopefully some big passing plays early will finetune QB-WR timing.

Auburn will have the most talented WR unit we face all season I think (even though I saw Indiana's was rated higher somewhere). I'm excited to see how our young DBs handle it. For the first time in school history our entire secondary is composed of 3-star athletes (oh the joys of just moving up to the FBS).  

12 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

For the first time in school history our entire secondary is composed of 3-star athletes (oh the joys of just moving up to the FBS).  

That's huge. They ought to be able to compete. However, if they are having to come up in the run game, it won't matter how many stars they have to their name. 

Just now, Barnacle said:

That's huge. They ought to be able to compete. However, if they are having to come up in the run game, it won't matter how many stars they have to their name. 

Agree 100%. Their ceiling directly correlates to our DL and LB's ability to slow down your run game, which unfortunately for us is a question mark at this point. 

4 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Agree 100%. Their ceiling directly correlates to our DL and LB's ability to slow down your run game, which unfortunately for us is a question mark at this point. 

To that point, I don't expect that we are going to see anything close to an air-raid attack from our offense. In fact, I don't expect that we will see a ton of balance either. I'm expecting to see a smash-mouth run-first attack that we normally run, with some big plays over the top. It's going to be important for our offensive line to gel in the running game first and foremost. 

53 minutes ago, Barnacle said:

To that point, I don't expect that we are going to see anything close to an air-raid attack from our offense. In fact, I don't expect that we will see a ton of balance either. I'm expecting to see a smash-mouth run-first attack that we normally run, with some big plays over the top. It's going to be important for our offensive line to gel in the running game first and foremost. 

I fully agree with this.  I think CCL & CGM want to smash mouth to keep the clock running and to not show too much of our abilities before Clemson.  I would not be surprised to see this board blowing up after this game thinking CGM was calling the plays because we were closer to 70% run with only 1 or 2 shots down field.  Also the running clock keeps our D off the field and keeps them fresher for Clemson the next week.

Now what I want to happen is that we are up by 28 at half and let 2nd & 3rd string guys get meaningful playing time with actual real plays in case we have someone injured down the road.  I seriously doubt this will happen due to the time the triple option eats up on the clock, but a guy can dream.

Another Legatron touchdown perhaps? Ha, probably unlikely but seriously one of my favorite moments from last year -- looks good on hype videos too :hellyeah:

13 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

I fully agree with this.  I think CCL & CGM want to smash mouth to keep the clock running and to not show too much of our abilities before Clemson.  I would not be surprised to see this board blowing up after this game thinking CGM was calling the plays because we were closer to 70% run with only 1 or 2 shots down field.  Also the running clock keeps our D off the field and keeps them fresher for Clemson the next week.

Now what I want to happen is that we are up by 28 at half and let 2nd & 3rd string guys get meaningful playing time with actual real plays in case we have someone injured down the road.  I seriously doubt this will happen due to the time the triple option eats up on the clock, but a guy can dream.

Don't get me wrong. I think we are going to sling the ball around a little bit. It's necessary for Stidham and the receivers to get some rhythm and momentum going into Clemson. I'm just expecting that the run game will still be the clear priority. 

@truebluealum you've been a good sport and hope you're able to make the trip over to the game.  I'm happy to hear you report that your coach has said most sets will be out of the shotgun.  Makes for much less cut blocking and more zone blocking by your OL.  

I am really looking forward to some real football soon!!!

I like playing GA So. Week 1.  Our D is very talented, but they will have to play disciplined assignment football. This could/should benefit us all year long. 

Im glad our coaches and players aren't going into week 1 thinking it's going to be a breeze or that we should adjust our game plan to impress a recruit.   We will come out with a balanced attack focusing on perfecting our base plays along with a few wrinkles to give Dabo and staff a few more thinks to think about. If things go well, and we hope they do, we can get a lot of backups and young guys some playing time in the 2nd half. 

Archived