scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Serious question - If you guys were playing say... GT or Navy would you still expect to win by 4 or 5 touchdowns? (I'm not making an inferences here, I'm just curious)

Well I would expect to beat them by 3 tds with our team this year. They may run the same type of offense but they probably have better players in most positions (well at least GT usually does). 

I am not saying that we will win the opener by 4-5 TDs, but I am saying that we should. Nothing against your team - It may may be the greatest GSU team ever for all we know. But we have a good (potentially great) team this year. If we are expected to be even with Clemson and compete for the SEC West, we should beat GSU pretty handily. If we don't, we are in deep trouble game 2. 

This is an Auburn board and I am an Auburn homer so of course I am going think we are awesome before we have played a game. :jossun:

11 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Serious question - If you guys were playing say... GT or Navy would you still expect to win by 4 or 5 touchdowns? (I'm not making any inferences here, I'm just curious)

Where are you going with this ?

I would expect us to run away with it . I don't know about 4 or 5 TDs, but you can beat a team by 3 TDs and the score not resemble how badly overmatch a team was on the field 

Just now, DAG said:

Where are you going with this ?

I would expect us to run away with it . I don't know about 4 or 5 TDs, but you can beat a team by 3 TDs and the score not resemble how badly overmatch a team was on the field 

I have no hidden agenda. Just gauging the current perception of our team. I'm not expecting you guys to think we would be as competitive as either of the two. 

2 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

If we are expected to be even with Clemson and compete for the SEC West, we should beat GSU pretty handily. If we don't, we are in deep trouble game 2.

I totally understand these sentiments. But don't forget that Troy almost beat Clemson last year the week after you guys played them and they still went on to win the National Championship so anything could happen, especially week 1. But it's the same way most of our fans feel about our game against UNH (University of New Hampshire). UNH is actually a pretty decent FCS team but if they make a game out of it our fans will fear the worst for our season. 

12 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

I have no hidden agenda. Just gauging the current perception of our team. I'm not expecting you guys to think we would be as competitive as either of the two. 

I totally understand these sentiments. But don't forget that Troy almost beat Clemson last year the week after you guys played them and they still went on to win the National Championship so anything could happen, especially week 1. But it's the same way most of our fans feel about our game against UNH (University of New Hampshire). UNH is actually a pretty decent FCS team but if they make a game out of it our fans will fear the worst for our season. 

Almost only counts in horseshoes and handgrenades 

I think strange things happen in the early part of the season and if you're going to get a jump as an overmatched team, it's probably going to be in the first or second week before your opponent has found their identity and gotten into a groove.  I expect Auburn to win easily, but by 4-5 touchdowns (28-35 points) is expecting too much for a first game.   I expect us to win by 15-20 points.

Just now, DAG said:

Almost only counts in horseshoes and hand Granades 

Naturally... So then you should feel just as confident in Auburn if you beat us by 35 than you do if you beat us by 3 right?

27 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

This is an Auburn board and I am an Auburn homer so of course I am going think we are awesome before we have played a game. :jossun:

Wouldn't expect anything less! Hell, by game time I will fully expect us to beat you. :)

2 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Naturally... So then you should feel just as confident in Auburn if you beat us by 35 than you do if you beat us by 3 right?

A rational person would need to look at the context of the game . Ultimately it is to win , then you fix the issue . So yes , I would still be confident in my team. Another thing about Clemson and Troy was the fact that Clemson just came off a game against us. Chances are they had a huge hang over and walked into the Troy game sleep walking . Do not think for a second that you guys will be overlooked . AU had a under par season last year and we are looking for redemption , not to mention our coaching staff knows what is at stake . Every game is a must win for this bunch, especially this one . Context works much better when discussing hypotheticals .

Regardless of the score, I don't want to see the offense tapping the brakes and going into kill the clock mode.  We need to practice every phase of our offense in game situations so we're ready to go against Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and the rest.  DO NOT TAKE your foot off the gas GM/CL.

9 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Mind you this happened a couple of years ago. Almost lost to a team called Jacksonville state. Was I happy? No . I was relieved we won but you are damn skippy I had confidence that my AU tigers would right the ship and compete at a high level against LSU. Of course it did not occur but nevertheless, the point still remains 

Just now, DAG said:

Mind you this happened a couple of years ago. Almost lost to a team called Jacksonville state. Was I happy? No . I was relieved we won but you are damn skippy I had confidence that my AU tigers would right the ship and compete at a high level against LSU. Of course it did not occur but nevertheless, the point still remains 

For the record you and I agree. I'm saying that despite whether or not Auburn blows us out, OR we manage to make it a game does not automatically doom your season like someone had suggested.

Just about every P5 fan base I have encountered says something like "If we are still playing starters into the 4th quarter then we need to be concerned." No you don't. We happen to historically be a pretty darn good football team, AND it's week 1 and sometimes it takes a few weeks for teams to get their crap together.

15 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Except for lack of an opportunity to get some subs some playing time,

I, for one, would be just as happy.

1 hour ago, truebluealum said:

If we only win by three, consider this your invitation to come back here and witness the meltdown. If Auburn fans are known for one thing, it's going into sky is falling mode at the first sign of weakness, without taking the time to look at why and if it really is of concern.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

If we only win by three, consider this your invitation to come back here and witness the meltdown. If Auburn fans are known for one thing, it's going into sky is falling mode at the first sign of weakness, without taking the time to look at why and if it really is of concern.

Believe me our fan bases are no different. People were already on the way to their sheds to grab pitchforks after a 3-1 start last season because they could tell our offense was awful. 

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Regardless of the score, I don't want to see the offense tapping the brakes and going into kill the clock mode.  We need to practice every phase of our offense in game situations so we're ready to go against Clemson, LSU, Georgia, Alabama, and the rest.  DO NOT TAKE your foot off the gas GM/CL.

Exactly . I want annihilation if the situation presents itself . Both from the 1st and 3rd string . It's the other teams job to stop it .  We need a Jimmy Jonson mentality around here. 

15 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Well according to a finebaum caller we're only 2.5 point favorites against GS. He looked it up :ucrazy:and of course pawlll didn't correct him. 

Wow. Even I'm not THAT optimistic. 

6 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

He also claimed we barely beat troy a few years ago. A bammer from West Virginia.... 

Wow... double wammy. He probably just needs to lay off the shine.

I expect some mistakes and penalties early until we get until the flow of the game. I expect us to be a little sluggish on O and out of position on D until we settle down, but after that I believe we'll start to pull ahead in 2nd half.  Don't know by how much or how little.  Got some new pieces in new positions. Bound to be some kinks to work out.

5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

Night game at home. We are ranked in the top 15. We are favored by 30. If we only win by 3, you won't be able to get on this or any other AU board because AU fans will break the internet. You will have the 98% melting the 2% sky is NOT falling going at it. This place will be a be almost as hot as the seat Gus would be on...But I don't expect that to happen. I expect us to start a little slow due to the new system, then get it going, and then dominate in the second half. 

And yes I know that Gus' teams traditionally start slow and we have a new QB/OC but I am thinking positive here. 

6 minutes ago, gr82b4au said:

Night game at home. We are ranked in the top 15. We are favored by 30. If we only win by 3, you won't be able to get on this or any other AU board because AU fans will break the internet. You will have the 98% melting the 2% sky is NOT falling going at it. This place will be a be almost as hot as the seat Gus would be on...But I don't expect that to happen. I expect us to start a little slow due to the new system, then get it going, and then dominate in the second half. 

And yes I know that Gus' teams traditionally start slow and we have a new QB/OC but I am thinking positive here. 

I think we are on the same page... but I don't expect us to start slow.  I expect us to come out with a perfectly scripted drive and score right away.... then maybe slow down a little but not much.

I can't scout, but after looking at the GS roster two things jumped out at me:  the safeties have size and so do the LBs, or more size that I thought they would have.  They recruited a big freshman class it appears.

Auburn has too much to prove.  We better have a chip on our shoulder until we get past LSU.   We need to play angry, ala Nick Fairly style.  I honestly think we will discover a Stanley McGlover type lineman somewhere on our roster.  

Too much to lose this season to start slow.  

49-17; what is that?  32.  I predict a 32 point gap

37 minutes ago, Beaker said:

I can't scout, but after looking at the GS roster two things jumped out at me:  the safeties have size and so do the LBs, or more size that I thought they would have.  They recruited a big freshman class it appears.

Auburn has too much to prove.  We better have a chip on our shoulder until we get past LSU.   We need to play angry, ala Nick Fairly style.  I honestly think we will discover a Stanley McGlover type lineman somewhere on our roster.  

Too much to lose this season to start slow.  

49-17; what is that?  32.  I predict a 32 point gap

That is the X factor IMO. The mindset of this team should be completely different than that of 2015 and 16. In 2015 , we really believed in our own hype . By we, I mean the coaching staff , the fans and the players..you can tell by how we prepared and played on the field . In 16, we came in with a lot of question marks . Question marks at QB, RB, young WRs and a new defensive coach . This year we are in desperation mode . Better than that we have the pieces on both sides of the ball. Continuation on defense, mature WRs and a trusting RB. Now , we got to make it work at QB and hope our line plays up to expectations.

Archived