scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, lionheartkc said:

I think we are on the same page... but I don't expect us to start slow.  I expect us to come out with a perfectly scripted drive and score right away.... then maybe slow down a little but not much.

I was wondering...Will that be Gus's decision to have a scripted drive? Or Chip? Do all teams do this?

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

I was wondering...Will that be Gus's decision to have a scripted drive? Or Chip? Do all teams do this?

Most teams just pick random plays out of a hat.

10 hours ago, WFE12 said:

Most teams come in with a planned drive or two. It provides a number of advantages.  First, you know you are going to execute it well, because you can practice it in sequence, repeatedly. Second, you can plan it to test the weaknesses of your opponent and help determine their defensive game plan. Finally, if you are like Gus, you use it to plant ideas in the defensive coordinator's head so you can do the opposite later. 

Later on in the season, once the team is really rolling, it can become less valuable if they are executing at a high level. Then you can have more of an outline than a script.

I would imagine that Gus and Chip are going to sit down and script a drive or two, probably with Borges in the room to provide insight from the tape he's watched of their DC and his tendencies.

Dang, I am glad we have Borges on staff.    It's kinda like a brain trust.   Who is our second great mind among the Defensive coaches?

15 hours ago, Beaker said:

I can't scout, but after looking at the GS roster two things jumped out at me:  the safeties have size and so do the LBs, or more size that I thought they would have.  They recruited a big freshman class it appears.

We've gotten pretty good in our development of those positions over the last few years. We have several Safeties and LB's now on NFL rosters, a few of them with starting positions. Hard to say with this team though because we only have 2 senior starters on defense - 1 DT and 1 LB. 

2 hours ago, Beaker said:

Dang, I am glad we have Borges on staff.    It's kinda like a brain trust.   Who is our second great mind among the Defensive coaches?

Excellent question.  Garner knows his stuff, but I often wonder if his strength is more player development than game time situations. Brown actually has some pretty good credentials and I bet he's got some serious game smarts. T-Will would be my guess of most likely to become a DC of the bunch, however.

20 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Excellent question.  Garner knows his stuff, but I often wonder if his strength is more player development than game time situations. Brown actually has some pretty good credentials and I bet he's got some serious game smarts. T-Will would be my guess of most likely to become a DC of the bunch, however.

By all accounts, Greg Brown really knows his stuff and has lot of experience, but I'm sure that it's all a collaborative effort where they all bring their varied experience and knowledge to the table. 

On 8/23/2017 at 10:34 AM, truebluealum said:

Serious question - If you guys were playing say... GT or Navy would you still expect to win by 4 or 5 touchdowns? (I'm not making any inferences here, I'm just curious)

I don't expect an early blowout at all. GSU has Football Players most years. I am not as familiar with them as in past years. I can see them giving us fits for a series, or maybe a quarter, or two. 

Just depends on coaching, and definitely QB play for GSU. They can't turn it over, or it can get ugly fast.

If GSU plays their best, it could be a wear them down physically type game, if AU isn't on point.

If we come ready though, it could be ugly? Who knows? That is why these games are fun. A lot of these South GA boys will know each other. Should be fun for all of them!!

5 minutes ago, Bo Duke said:

I don't expect an early blowout at all. GSU has Football Players most years. I am not as familiar with them as in past years. I can see them giving us fits for a series, or maybe a quarter, or two. 

Just depends on coaching, and definitely QB play for GSU. They can't turn it over, or it can get ugly fast.

If GSU plays their best, it could be a wear them down physically type game, if AU isn't on point.

If we come ready though, it could be ugly? Who knows? That is why these games are fun. A lot of these South GA boys will know each other. Should be fun for all of them!!

I'm kind of with you - It really could go either way. It will mostly depend on QB play for both teams and whether or not we can keep up with your scoring. The hype around the AU offense I think is legitimate but until it's actually verified on the field we can't know for sure. The winner is going to have 35+ points (that's likely going to be you). I will 100% expect to win when I wake up the morning of September 2nd, but I know right now that's highly unlikely (1% to be exact - according to ESPN).

2 hours ago, Bo Duke said:

FIFY...:dead:

I thought meth was a more south Missouri/Arkansas thing... I always pegged West Virginia as Moonshine country.

2 hours ago, truebluealum said:

I'm kind of with you - It really could go either way. It will mostly depend on QB play for both teams and whether or not we can keep up with your scoring. The hype around the AU offense I think is legitimate but until it's actually verified on the field we can't know for sure. The winner is going to have 35+ points (that's likely going to be you). I will 100% expect to win when I wake up the morning of September 2nd, but I know right now that's highly unlikely (1% to be exact - according to ESPN).

I'll tell you one thing, if our D gives up 35+ points, they are going to find out just how mad Coach Garner can get. We didn't give up more than 30 in any regular season game last year, that includes Clemson, bama, and Ole Miss with a healthy Chad Kelly.

18 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

I'll tell you one thing, if our D gives up 35+ points, they are going to find out just how mad Coach Garner can get. We didn't give up more than 30 in any regular season game last year, that includes Clemson, bama, and Ole Miss with a healthy Chad Kelly.

Exactly. If we are going to win I just don't see it being in a defense battle. Which is why I see you guys winning a 42 - 24 type game. 

GS played their best when they were playing better teams it appears:  note the GT and Ole Miss games

score

1 Sep 3, 2016 6:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Savannah State Non-Major W 54 0 1 0 W 1 ESPN3  
2 Sep 10, 2016 7:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ South Alabama Sun Belt W 24 9 2 0 W 2 ESPN3  
3 Sep 17, 2016 6:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Louisiana-Monroe Sun Belt W 23 21 3 0 W 3 ESPN3  
4 Sep 24, 2016 7:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Western Michigan MAC L 31 49 3 1 L 1    
5 Oct 5, 2016 8:00 PM Wed Georgia Southern @ Arkansas State Sun Belt L 26 27 3 2 L 2 ESPN2  
6 Oct 15, 2016 12:30 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech ACC L 24 35 3 3 L 3    
7 Oct 22, 2016 8:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ New Mexico State Sun Belt W 22 19 4 3 W 1    
8 Oct 27, 2016 7:30 PM Thu Georgia Southern   Appalachian State Sun Belt L 10 34 4 4 L 1 ESPNU  
9 Nov 5, 2016 12:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Ole Miss SEC L 27 37 4 5 L 2    
10 Nov 10, 2016 7:30 PM Thu Georgia Southern   Louisiana-Lafayette Sun Belt L 26 33 4 6 L 3 ESPNU  
11 Nov 19, 2016 2:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Georgia State Sun Belt L 24 30 4 7 L 4    
12 Dec 3, 2016 12:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Troy Sun Belt W 28 24 5 7 W 1  

What's gonna hurt is GS has to replace 6 starters on D I think.  

With a slow southern drawl, " I think a young defense spells real trouble for the Eaglets from South Georgia, as the Tiger-cats from East Alabama will be looking to claw their way into the top 10 rankings.  Leonard's Loser:  Georgia Southern "

On 8/23/2017 at 6:11 PM, gr82b4au said:

Night game at home. We are ranked in the top 15. We are favored by 30. If we only win by 3, you won't be able to get on this or any other AU board because AU fans will break the internet. You will have the 98% melting the 2% sky is NOT falling going at it. This place will be a be almost as hot as the seat Gus would be on...But I don't expect that to happen. I expect us to start a little slow due to the new system, then get it going, and then dominate in the second half. 

And yes I know that Gus' teams traditionally start slow and we have a new QB/OC but I am thinking positive here. 

This made me laugh. Yes, AU fans will absolutely break the internet. I don't even want to think about it.

1 hour ago, lionheartkc said:

I was just thinking about Chad Kelly and how well he played against us last year. I was proud of our D last year - so glad Carl and Monty returned. 

10 hours ago, Beaker said:

Brown

14 hours ago, Beaker said:

GS played their best when they were playing better teams it appears:  note the GT and Ole Miss games

score

1 Sep 3, 2016 6:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Savannah State Non-Major W 54 0 1 0 W 1 ESPN3  
2 Sep 10, 2016 7:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ South Alabama Sun Belt W 24 9 2 0 W 2 ESPN3  
3 Sep 17, 2016 6:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Louisiana-Monroe Sun Belt W 23 21 3 0 W 3 ESPN3  
4 Sep 24, 2016 7:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Western Michigan MAC L 31 49 3 1 L 1    
5 Oct 5, 2016 8:00 PM Wed Georgia Southern @ Arkansas State Sun Belt L 26 27 3 2 L 2 ESPN2  
6 Oct 15, 2016 12:30 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Georgia Tech ACC L 24 35 3 3 L 3    
7 Oct 22, 2016 8:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ New Mexico State Sun Belt W 22 19 4 3 W 1    
8 Oct 27, 2016 7:30 PM Thu Georgia Southern   Appalachian State Sun Belt L 10 34 4 4 L 1 ESPNU  
9 Nov 5, 2016 12:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Ole Miss SEC L 27 37 4 5 L 2    
10 Nov 10, 2016 7:30 PM Thu Georgia Southern   Louisiana-Lafayette Sun Belt L 26 33 4 6 L 3 ESPNU  
11 Nov 19, 2016 2:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern @ Georgia State Sun Belt L 24 30 4 7 L 4    
12 Dec 3, 2016 12:00 PM Sat Georgia Southern   Troy Sun Belt W 28 24 5 7 W 1  

What's gonna hurt is GS has to replace 6 starters on D I think.  

With a slow southern drawl, " I think a young defense spells real trouble for the Eaglets from South Georgia, as the Tiger-cats from East Alabama will be looking to claw their way into the top 10 rankings.  Leonard's Loser:  Georgia Southern "

Yeah replacing those starters will be particularly difficult - 2 of them are in the NFL right now. Even though we have 4 Sophomores at DB they are all returning starters. We are at a weird place because the players that graduated last year were all recruited to play FCS football. So the guys that are replacing them are better (on paper) but don't have as much experience.

AU needs to get ahead early by exploiting a weak pass rush and terribly outmatched secondary. Stid needs to drop bombs early and often, make GSU play from behind; which veer teams aren't built to do. This will allow the first defense to get out off the field early and not risk injury in the trench warfare that is triple option football. Losing Marlon, DB, etc... to a cut block induced knee injury in a week one should be gimme would be catastrophic. 

4 hours ago, Hunter48 said:

AU needs to get ahead early by exploiting a weak pass rush and terribly outmatched secondary. Stid needs to drop bombs early and often, make GSU play from behind; which veer teams aren't built to do. This will allow the first defense to get out off the field early and not risk injury in the trench warfare that is triple option football. Losing Marlon, DB, etc... to a cut block induced knee injury in a week one should be gimme would be catastrophic. 

That's not entirely true... Our average scoring drives aren't really any longer than anyone else in the FBS. We occasionally have 6-10 min long drives, but so does everybody else. Besides, coming back from multiple scores has as much to do with the defense as it does the offense. 

The rest of your post makes perfect sense though. 

12 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

That's not entirely true... Our average scoring drives aren't really any longer than anyone else in the FBS. We occasionally have 6-10 min long drives, but so does everybody else. Besides, coming back from multiple scores has as much to do with the defense as it does the offense. 

The rest of your post makes perfect sense though. 

Nothing to do with length of drives, rather number of runs vs number of passes.  

20 minutes ago, Hunter48 said:

Nothing to do with length of drives, rather number of runs vs number of passes.  

Not sure I'm seeing your point. Doesn't really matter anyway, wont make a come back if our defense doesn't get stops and force turnovers. 1 week away! (finally)

8 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

Not sure I'm seeing your point. Doesn't really matter anyway, wont make a come back if our defense doesn't get stops and force turnovers. 1 week away! (finally)

Basically he's saying if your QB has to drop back to pass all game our DL will eat him alive. Doesn't matter how good your OL is in the sun belt ;) 

18 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

Basically he's saying if your QB has to drop back to pass all game our DL will eat him alive. Doesn't matter how good your OL is in the sun belt ;) 

And my point (which still stands) is that we don't have to throw the ball to score quickly - hypothetically speaking of course. 

Archived