scouting report: Georgia Southern

aubiefifty

12 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

And my point (which still stands) is that we don't have to throw the ball to score quickly - hypothetically speaking of course. 

When you're down 24-7 in 4th quarter (hypothetically speaking), yes you do. 

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

And my point (which still stands) is that we don't have to throw the ball to score quickly - hypothetically speaking of course. 

I don't know if @Hunter48 is speaking in terms of law of averages but that's how I see the point in his post. It typically takes more plays to score running the ball than passing the ball. On average passes take up more yards and thus less plays to score. Another factor if a running team is trying to come back is the more plays it takes to score means the greater the chances of things stopping the drive like holding penalties & fumbles.

2 minutes ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

When you're down 24-7 in 4th quarter (hypothetically speaking), yes you do. 

Oh sorry the original poster didn't put a qualifier on his statement. Yes if you're down 17 points in the 4th quarter you're going to have to complete some passes.

14 minutes ago, ellitor said:

I don't know if @Hunter48 is speaking in terms of law of averages but that's how I see the point in his post. It typically takes more plays to score running the ball than passing the ball. On average passes take up more yards and thus less plays to score. Another factor if a running team is trying to come back is the more plays it takes to score means the greater the chances of things stopping the drive like holding penalties & fumbles.

Not to mention, unsuccessful pass plays (incomplete) stop the clock. There is no way to stop the clock running the ball other than first downs and running out of bounds under 2 minutes.

I really hope our defense improved drastically from last season or we are gonna get sacrificed to the Gods. Well same goes for our offense too but now having a competent option OC I do feel slightly better. I think we will sneak in a few big runs but I just gotta wait and see on game day. Can't play like we did against WV or it's over before kickoff but there are big games that we show up for like previously stated by my fellow Eagle. My whole weekend is paid for by Auburn alums because I'm friends with a guy's daughter and he heard I was a GSU grad. So far I've really liked the Auburn hospitality I've encountered over the years from the fan base. The town looks awesome, I can't wait to be there!

Sorry, the original comment said nothing about it being late in the game he simply said "not built for playing from behind." Trying to score quickly late in the game can pose problems for us if the defense is playing us well, I'm not stubborn enough to deny that. But as far as mounting a comeback we had the 3rd most efficient offense in 2014 despite the fact that we didn't throw the ball much. 2015 wasn't much different but we did have some issues along the OL that slowed us down. The common phrase "3 yards and a cloud of dust" when describing the Triple Option isn't always the case. It definitely was last year because our OC's broke our offense - it was more like "3 yards and punt." 

#1 - Marshall (7.59 ypp)
#2 - Oregon (7.34 ypp)
#3 - Georgia Southern (7.34 ypp)
#10 - Auburn (6.71 ypp)

#24 - Georgia Southern (6.41)
#86 - Auburn (5.39)

Edit: Like the poster above me said, none of this really matters anyway if our defense doesn't hold serve on your power run game. If Johnson and Pettway are running at will we wont have a shot to win this game because Stidham will have open receivers all day. 

6 minutes ago, HailSouthernHailYea said:

I really hope our defense improved drastically from last season or we are gonna get sacrificed to the Gods. Well same goes for our offense too but now having a competent option OC I do feel slightly better. I think we will sneak in a few big runs but I just gotta wait and see on game day. Can't play like we did against WV or it's over before kickoff but there are big games that we show up for like previously stated by my fellow Eagle. My whole weekend is paid for by Auburn alums because I'm friends with a guy's daughter and he heard I was a GSU grad. So far I've really liked the Auburn hospitality I've encountered over the years from the fan base. The town looks awesome, I can't wait to be there!

Gave you a like for saying your team will get "sacrificed to the Gods" if the defense doesn't improve. Good work, young sir.

34 minutes ago, HailSouthernHailYea said:

Plan to have one of the best weekends of your life, even if you get curb-stomped. Auburn and it's people will take good care of you, and I'm sure your hosts will make sure you experience all of the best aspects of game day.

6 hours ago, truebluealum said:

Sorry, the original comment said nothing about it being late in the game he simply said "not built for playing from behind." Trying to score quickly late in the game can pose problems for us if the defense is playing us well, I'm not stubborn enough to deny that. But as far as mounting a comeback we had the 3rd most efficient offense in 2014 despite the fact that we didn't throw the ball much. 2015 wasn't much different but we did have some issues along the OL that slowed us down. The common phrase "3 yards and a cloud of dust" when describing the Triple Option isn't always the case. It definitely was last year because our OC's broke our offense - it was more like "3 yards and punt." 

#1 - Marshall (7.59 ypp)
#2 - Oregon (7.34 ypp)
#3 - Georgia Southern (7.34 ypp)
#10 - Auburn (6.71 ypp)

#24 - Georgia Southern (6.41)
#86 - Auburn (5.39)

Edit: Like the poster above me said, none of this really matters anyway if our defense doesn't hold serve on your power run game. If Johnson and Pettway are running at will we wont have a shot to win this game because Stidham will have open receivers all day. 

Playing against slightly different level defenses, I would have to say!

5 hours ago, AuburnTiger4Life said:

IMG_4828.GIF

Huh? Nowhere in my posts did I say I expected that sort of output in our game.

Also, don't you think that's a bit insensitive considering what's happening this weekend in a Texas? Geez. ;) 

2 hours ago, truebluealum said:

Also, don't you think that's a bit insensitive considering what's happening this weekend in a Texas? Geez. ;) 

As someone in the storm...I don't take offense. ;D

As long as we remind our boys it's Georgia Southern and not Georgia we should avoid our annual choke-fest we put up against the Dawuggs. Thank the Lord GS wears blue, shouldn't be as confusing.

:Sing:

On ‎7‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 8:34 AM, corchjay said:

@bigbird @augolf1716 

What defense would yall go with to stop this team?

Bear 50 front

base 4-3

multiple 3-4 and 4-3 front

4-4-3, man with 1 free safety

I think I would go with the Bear front with the MLB's pressing the line.  DL dropping some, LBs dropping some.  Only issue is it requires everyone to be on the same page.  However if I just want to get out of it with a win something like 37-17 then I go base 4-3 and play straight tackle football.  If you want to try to really shut this team down and make a statement then probably using the Bear front with some of each of the others mixed in is probably the best to try to beat this team like 60-10.   

I like the idea of trying to beat this team 60-10 and make a statement that we mean business and can handle whatever offense comes our way. However, do it with a sense of just enough caution to our defense fresh for next week and not expend more than we have to do. I guess a score of 45-17 is what we should shoot for. I do hope we get to play a lot of guys for the experience factor for Clemson and the SEC.  I hope we are all entertained and satisfied with what we see game 1.

On ‎8‎/‎23‎/‎2017 at 10:34 AM, truebluealum said:

Serious question - If you guys were playing say... GT or Navy would you still expect to win by 4 or 5 touchdowns? (I'm not making any inferences here, I'm just curious)

I fully expect us to put the medal to the pedal until at least no more than 10 minutes left in the  4th quarter regardless of the score.  I doubt it will be close for too long with us going for the kill early and often.  I am not saying GSU is a bad team whatsoever. I am saying we will be a force on offense and nothing to sneeze at on the other side of the ball. This Auburn team should be close to the 2010 team in many ways as well as the 2013 team. I do expect to see a performance much like the Arkansas game last year except with a lot airing it out added to the mix.

On 8/23/2017 at 9:34 AM, truebluealum said:

Serious question - If you guys were playing say... GT or Navy would you still expect to win by 4 or 5 touchdowns? (I'm not making any inferences here, I'm just curious)

Yes to Navy.  GT I'd say would be closer to a 35-20 kind of game and no Georgia Southern isn't as talented as GT.  

On 8/24/2017 at 2:42 PM, truebluealum said:

I'm kind of with you - It really could go either way. It will mostly depend on QB play for both teams and whether or not we can keep up with your scoring. The hype around the AU offense I think is legitimate but until it's actually verified on the field we can't know for sure. The winner is going to have 35+ points (that's likely going to be you). I will 100% expect to win when I wake up the morning of September 2nd, but I know right now that's highly unlikely (1% to be exact - according to ESPN).

I don't expect it to stay close in the 2nd half. It may not stay that way in the 1st half. I just believe GSU will have some players show up. 

Like I mentioned before, I spent two + years there and have been to 2 Natty games there. One with ERK, and the other PJ(I guess). We lived at Sussex in the very back by the old driving range We could see half the field from out back deck.. (Quick story: I took Golf at GSU, and the first class we were all given a 50' putt to make an automatic A in the class. Well obviously I made it or I wouldn't be telling this story, but i still went to every class because nothing is better than Golf, except sex.). All I had to do was crawl out the sack and walk 40 yards. It was AWESOME! when I got back, she would be there making breakfast for my brother and I. Good Times!

Anyway, a lot of great athletes go to GSU. It won't be like playing UTC, or AL State.

On 8/25/2017 at 3:44 PM, HailSouthernHailYea said:

Make a point to go to Momma Goldberg's Deli (few different locations, but the original is right by campus at the corner of Magnolia and Donahue) and try the Momma's Love sub sandwich. You can thank me later. :hellyeah:

This may be as much of a tradition as any we have at GS. The weekly Alan Tyson pre-game video. I tailgate with the Tyson family every home game (I'm good friends with his daughter) and you wont meet nicer people anywhere else in Statesboro. Enjoy! (P.S.- He is in a lot of plays/shows at our local Emma Kelly Theater and has scripted and memorized this whole thing.)

25 minutes ago, truebluealum said:

This may be as much of a tradition as any we have at GS. The weekly Alan Tyson pre-game video. I tailgate with the Tyson family every home game (I'm good friends with his daughter) and you wont meet nicer people anywhere else in Statesboro. Enjoy! (P.S.- He is in a lot of plays/shows at our local Emma Kelly Theater and has scripted and memorized this whole thing.)

Thanks for posting! Seems like a great guy -- sounds like he would be a natural preacher. I hope this Auburn game is at least a good springboard into a successful season for you. You've been a good sport through all of this and could teach some fans in our state how to appreciate football the right way! Good luck and congratulations to you and your wife; hope you enjoy the game! War Eagle.

Archived