Favorite AU Player That Wasn't Everyone Else's?

ClaytonAU

Super bored at work and it got me thinking... who is one player that you loved but maybe wasn't everyone else's? Can't be the big names or the "fan favorites" like Cam, Tre Mason, Lutz, Bo, Sullivan, etc. 

For me it's gotta be Emory Blake. I always loved watching him play throughout his career and felt like he could've put up huge numbers had he had a better offense surrounding him! What about you guys? 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Easy... Tre Smith. Undersized 3/4 string running back who should have basically ridden the bench for 4 years, but instead humiliated bama like few have before or since and is still seen, even to this day, on our most recent hype video for a heads up special teams play.

Tom Banks..................guy was crazy as hell but damn he knew how to party and scare the crap out of a recruit. Plus he would go to battle for any of his teammates.

Had a good career in the NFL

Image result for tom banks auburn

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Great topic and choice.

Sooooo many options. I can't decide between Tommy Jackson and Terrell Zachary. Big Mario Fannin fan, too.

Don't you mean Super Mario

Don Machen was talented on both sides of the ball. Bear Bryant said pound for pound Machen was the best player in the SEC. 

Tough to answer because there are several but Phil Gargis and Brandon Cox were a couple of guys I liked watching play because of their toughness. Brandon overcame a lot and got hit a lot but always got back up. I love that attitude in a QB. 

36 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Easy... Tre Smith. Undersized 3/4 string running back who should have basically ridden the bench for 4 years, but instead humiliated bama like few have before or since and is still seen, even to this day, on our most recent hype video for a heads up special teams play.

Gonna agree with you on Tre Smith.  "AU's starters at running back are out with injury for this year's Iron Bowl. The Tigers don't stand a chance." - All of the Alabama and national sports media, 2002

1 hour ago, ClaytonAU said:

Super bored at work and it got me thinking... who is one player that you loved but maybe wasn't everyone else's? Can't be the big names or the "fan favorites" like Cam, Tre Mason, Lutz, Bo, Sullivan, etc. 

For me it's gotta be Emory Blake. I always loved watching him play throughout his career and felt like he could've put up huge numbers had he had a better offense surrounding him! What about you guys? 

Would Coach Burns qualify here?

Since D Craig was probably everyone else's favorite, I'll have to say Karsten Bailey. He was the first Auburn player I remember being in awe of. This was back in the mid 1990's when I was still a kid and a Tennessee fan.

(I finally transferred to Auburn in 2008 as a junior, rest is all WDE.)

Courtney Taylor and Tristan Trick Daddy Davis!!! Always was huge fans of them in high school.

23 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

Courtney Taylor and Tristan Trick Daddy Davis!!! Always was huge fans of them in high school.

I loved CT! I had class with him and he was always really cool. 

I'll add Darvin Adams and David Irons. 

And my fav player these last few years has been Jeremy Johnson - no lie. 

13 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

I loved CT! I had class with him and he was always really cool. 

I'll add Darvin Adams and David Irons. 

And my fav player these last few years has been Jeremy Johnson - no lie. 

DAVID IRONS!!!! the best recent corner we have had imo!!!! he had so much swag, grit and heart! Love those irons brothers!!!

5 minutes ago, GwillMac6 said:

DAVID IRONS!!!! the best recent corner we have had imo!!!! he had so much swag, grit and heart! Love those irons brothers!!!

He was my fav - I even received a signed jersey of his one year for a Christmas. 

I remember during one Florida game him  doing the "chomp chomp" at the Gators (during warm up maybe?) with some weird humping motion. Loved his passion! 

13 minutes ago, AidiAU said:

He was my fav - I even received a signed jersey of his one year for a Christmas. 

I remember during one Florida game him  doing the "chomp chomp" at the Gators (during warm up maybe?) with some weird humping motion. Loved his passion! 

that is awesome!!!! do you have said jersey framed in your office or anything?

Zach Clayton. Dude was a bull and had a lot to do with Fairley's success due to it being impossible to ignore the strongest player on the 2010 team. 

Archived