Favorite AU Player That Wasn't Everyone Else's?

ClaytonAU

Heath Evans.. I think it was at Arkansas when he had a coming out party at RB in a time, where for some reason, auburn didn't have a RB to speak of. If I remember correctly (I was young) we had WR's playing RB. 

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm going to go with someone a little more recent than what I have seen so far. CJ Uzomah is one of my favorite players that I have had the pleasure to actually meet as well. Always felt like he could have been a tremendous weapon for us if we acknowledged a TE as a possible option in our playbook.

Great class, amazing ability, and some huge moments for our Auburn Tigers.

21 hours ago, kingfish said:

Don Machen was talented on both sides of the ball. Bear Bryant said pound for pound Machen was the best player in the SEC. 

That's awesome, didn't really expect to see his name on here.  He's my grandfather (Pops!).  As far as your comment, I believe he played at less than 150lbs at HB/DB.

4 hours ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

I'll tell him this. 

It's true he scared the bejesus out of me and my friend on a recruiting trip. The party was at the old Heart of Auburn hotel after the game. Must have been 10 or so players and who knows how many girls in the room

22 hours ago, ClaytonAU said:

Super bored at work and it got me thinking... who is one player that you loved but maybe wasn't everyone else's? Can't be the big names or the "fan favorites" like Cam, Tre Mason, Lutz, Bo, Sullivan, etc. 

For me it's gotta be Emory Blake. I always loved watching him play throughout his career and felt like he could've put up huge numbers had he had a better offense surrounding him! What about you guys? 

Emory Blake for sure.

I think tons of people liked Sammie Coates same for Darvin, so maybe they're not eligible. McCalebb is another.

wait... no one really talks about Dansby anymore do they? ;)

Anterrious Williams or Travis Williams. As a high school linebacker I tried to model my game after them because neither was over 6'1" 215, they just left everything on the field. Those Tubbs defenses were extremely fun to watch in the mid 2000's.

James Callier LB from the mid 90's I believe. Knee injury kept him from being what he could have been, but he was one of the best guys I've ever met.

On 7/17/2017 at 6:08 PM, augolf1716 said:

Tom Banks..................guy was crazy as hell but damn he knew how to party and scare the crap out of a recruit. Plus he would go to battle for any of his teammates.

Had a good career in the NFL

Image result for tom banks auburn

Good call Golf, his dad was a pretty tough nut himself and was the head coach at John Carroll in Bham for many years. I often wondered what happened to junior. I know he had a good career in the NFL.

WDE

3 hours ago, augolf1716 said:

It's true he scared the bejesus out of me and my friend on a recruiting trip. The party was at the old Heart of Auburn hotel after the game. Must have been 10 or so players and who knows how many girls in the room

A long time high school  buddy of mine's father was the general manager at the Heart of Auburn motel. I lived right behind it on Gay street when I came back for my degree. . Our track coach, Wilbur Hutsell was my next door neighbor. Great guy.

WDE

QBS B Cox, D Craig,

RBS James Bostic, Kenny Irons

WRS  Tim Carter  Alexander Wright

TE Fred Baxter(so under utilized)

OL Pucillo & Simmons loved watching those two clear holes

DL  Jimmy Brumbough Quentin Groves & S Marks (they gave it their all every play)

LB  Alex Lincoln & D Thomas 

DBs  Kenny Irons & J Whitehead & Rudy Ford

SP Teams:  Craig Sanders, John Vaughn, D Duval and James Brooks

On 7/17/2017 at 6:42 PM, milehighfan said:

Mikey Zofko. Guy was a tough as nails and mean as a snake RB. Also enjoyed a nice career in the NFL.

Had a class with him.  He hardly ever came to class and the professor asked the other two football players in the class to remind him that he had to attend class to pass the course.  I think his eligibility was up and he was waiting around for the pros to come a knocking.

I enjoyed watching Dick Smaltz play. Thought he was under appreciated.  I am not sure how many people know that he and Pat Sullivan were on the same team at John Carroll. I believe that they could read each other's mind.

Herbert "The Weapon" Casey and Daryl "Lectron" Williams are on my all-time nickname team.

Shan Morris had a game-sealing INT in an Iron Bowl when I was a kid.  I think it was him...and the IB...and it sealed the game.....

Shane Wasden...Trey Gainous...Before I started to fill out I dreamed of being a WR like those two.

Gary Walker, Mike Pelton and Alonzo Etheridge (I think) were huge parts of the '93 defense.  GW always made me think of Bald Bull on Mike Tyson's Punch Out.

Fred Smith and Calvin Jackson were awesome.

I had absolute confidence in Will herring and Rob Pate.

I don't think I'll ever lose appreciation for Rudy Johnson.  Our running game was DREADFUL the season before and he reestablished Auburn as RBU.  The long touchdown run was one of the most beautiful things I've ever seen.   Vatican City...the Grand Canyon...Mount Rushmore in the early light...and Rudy dragging tacklers into the end zone.  Seems like there was a walk-on LB on that team that had a huge hustle play in the Wyoming redzone...Alex Lincoln???  There's a pretty cool Sports Science segment with professional MMA fighters trying to strip the ball from Rudy.

I'm really close friends with one of Billy Wilson's granddaughters.  He was a huge OT back in the late 50's/early 60's...got drafted and played in the NFL for a bit.  He was probably in his 80's and I thought he was going to crush my hand when he shook it.  He was one of those urban legend type athletes in his day.

WDE!

22 hours ago, mcgufcm said:

Ben Obomanu. He was one of the most mature, stand-up guys I had the privilege of knowing in college. He's a little younger than me, but I learned from watching him deal with adversity as a true sophomore. Totally lost touch now, but he was a friend in college. Plus, he could ball. Loved watching him truly break out in 2005.

Look him up in Martindale-Hubbell 

Brandon Cox.....Hard to explain. A guy who wasn't the biggest, fastest, nor did he have a cannon for an arm. With that being said, I think he was the grittiest player that I've seen wear the O&B.

16 minutes ago, TexasTiger said:

Look him up in Martindale-Hubbell 

Pretty sure Ben is starting 3L at UaT.

5 minutes ago, alexava said:

?

Starting his 3rd year of Law School at bammer.  He's still 100% Auburn, and I love him for it.

19 hours ago, weagle06 said:

Heath Evans.. I think it was at Arkansas when he had a coming out party at RB in a time, where for some reason, auburn didn't have a RB to speak of. If I remember correctly (I was young) we had WR's playing RB. 

Speaking of FB's I always think of jake slaughter too because we had a guy a couple rows behind us that always used to scream at the top of his lungs, " Put in the GD fullback!", every time he wasn't in the game. Lol

Was thinking back and remembered TE Robert Johnson

3 years: 59 rec. 758 yds. 10 TDs

Lutz

4 years: 59 rec. 628 yds. 14 TDs

I always get a chuckle thinking back to his juke on one of his TDs in the iron bowl. He was a big fella 

Somebody beat me to it. William Andrews played as undersized FB blocked like a dynamo for othre great Auburn RB's then came into his own in the NFL as a true Running back. He put team before himself.

Another I would like to add Mike Kolan (Captain Crunch) man could he hit and had a great career with the Dolphins.

Brandon Cox.  Was pretty good for a QB that at times saw triple. Accurate passer, great leader.  Medical issues really held him back.

Has anyone mentioned Tony Richardson yet?  Awesome teacher/teammate.  He and Reid McMillan were quite a pair.  The hit TR put on Bostic in the '93 Iron Bowl was textbook, except for the part where he took his helmet off before contact.

If my superfan memory is worth anything, I believe Richardson played in the NFL well into his late 60's.

WDE!

Ritchie Nell. Barefooted punter from Satsuma, Al

4 hours ago, API said:

Starting his 3rd year of Law School at bammer.  He's still 100% Auburn, and I love him for it.

I love Ben. He is nothing but class. He'll be a great lawyer.

Archived