Finebaum: Something is different with Malzahn

RunInRed

Malzahn does have that Spurrier "swagger" about him this year.  I think that is a good thing.  Steve was very aggressive when he had confidence in his team's ability, especially with a big arm at QB. I think we will be the most aggressive in all phases we have seen since the 80s. I don't know if we have ever had our weapons in all 3 phases like we have this year.  Our kicker is a threat from 60 in!  I am really excited to see this team be the team no one wants to face,  much like the Florida teams from the 90s.

2 minutes ago, AUBwins said:

Malzahn does have that Spurrier "swagger" about him this year.  I think that is a good thing.  Steve was very aggressive when he had confidence in his team's ability, especially with a big arm at QB. I think we will be the most aggressive in all phases we have seen since the 80s. I don't know if we have ever had our weapons in all 3 phases like we have this year.  Our kicker is a threat from 60 in!  I am really excited to see this team be the team no one wants to face,  much like the Florida teams from the 90s.

Slow down there bud..This is still Gustav we're talking about. GA Southern will tell the tale...We most certainly have the team to be aggressive but we'll need to see if he'll be that against a cupcake with say...A 21 point lead.

1 minute ago, WFE12 said:

Slow down there bud..This is still Gustav we're talking about. GA Southern will tell the tale...We most certainly have the team to be aggressive but we'll need to see if he'll be that against a cupcake with say...A 21 point lead.

Yep.  Keeping the foot on the gas will be a welcome sight for sure.  I just think he will let it happen this year.  Although against the non power 5 teams, it is hard to expect anything else since that is the only time to get the young guys some action. 

I know it was favorable to Gus, I just don't like F Bomb showing up on this forum. It's so lean right now, hard to get info from other sources...

but I appreciate you putting that up and not the 95% negative he always says about us

Gus should be confident.  Probably his most experienced team since he's been the HC and every player on the team was recruited by him as the head man.  Gus is not a modest guy when it comes to his ability as a coach.  That's what makes him so stubborn so this isn't really new for him.  He was cocky in "14 and '15.  Wasn't in '13 because that team just had to get better.  '16 he wasn't as much because he had no idea who he wanted as his QB. 

So I think he trust his coaches and his players and he's settled in that either the team plays well and wins games or he goes out in a blaze of glory.  

1 hour ago, G8orH8or said:

F-bomb? Yeah, I  don't think he really means nice things when he says them...

I dunno.  I think he still wears his knee pads for meetings with $abear, but being on ESPN and having to play to a wider audience seems to have had some moderating effects.  Not that I listen in or read what he has to say that often, because I don't. But for those times when he does come to my attention, he doesn't seem to be playing directly to the bammer base quite so much as he used to.  I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

3 minutes ago, CleCoTiger said:

I dunno.  I think he still wears his knee pads for meetings with $abear, but being on ESPN and having to play to a wider audience seems to have had some moderating effects.  Not that I listen in or read what he has to say that often, because I don't. But for those times when he does come to my attention, he doesn't seem to be playing directly to the bammer base quite so much as he used to.  I could be wrong, but that's my impression.

Knee pads to Sabans meetings. Well played sir. lmao

Finebaum is just fanning the flames on Gus' @$$. Finebaum has made a damn good living using ignorant spuat and AU fans. 

4 hours ago, CleCoTiger said:

Spicy!!!

• 2 weeks later...

“That group, which represented Auburn at SEC Media Days earlier this month, has noticed a meaningful change in their head coach as he prepares to begin his fifth fall on the Plains on Monday. No longer is elbow-deep in everything the offense does, they said. Rather, he’s taken a step back.

Smith, the team’s right tackle, has seen Malzahn start to take the wide view of the football program, overlooking every aspect of the team. Matthews, a safety, has seen him more much more involved with the defense during practice. Carlson, the program’s record-setting placekicker, has noticed him spending more time trying to build relationships with players.

All three agree: It has led to a “more calm” Gus Malzahn.”

http://www.oanow.com/sports/college/auburn/football/players-say-gus-malzahn-is-more-calm-going-into-th/article_5c2cd156-7500-11e7-9518-176fe5fe9432.html

I've said before that hiring Gus would require patience for him to learn how to be successful.  I dreaded the possibility we would invest in that learning  period only to fire him and have someone else reap the benefits.

Hopefully, these are signs he is ready to "graduate" into the ranks of big time, proven coaches.

22 minutes ago, homersapien said:

Hopefully, these are signs he is ready to "graduate" into the ranks of big time, proven coaches.

We can only hope..

6 hours ago, homersapien said:

I've said before that hiring Gus would require patience for him to learn how to be successful.  I dreaded the possibility we would invest in that learning  period only to fire him and have someone else reap the benefits.

And hopefully that will lead to winning more...more consistently.

I hope we only see flashes of this team being great in the Ga. Southern game. If we keep the pedal down the whole game that means that we are showing to much to Clemson. I would like to see an easy 21 point win where we beat them by just our skill advantage rather than breaking out the whole playbook. I think we have plenty of talent this year to do just that. I want Clemson to see the Shock and Awe!!!

22 minutes ago, bg5 said:

I hope we only see flashes of this team being great in the Ga. Southern game. If we keep the pedal down the whole game that means that we are showing to much to Clemson. I would like to see an easy 21 point win where we beat them by just our skill advantage rather than breaking out the whole playbook. I think we have plenty of talent this year to do just that. I want Clemson to see the Shock and Awe!!!

Honestly, we should be able to keep the peddle down and not show anything we didn't do last year against a team like Georgia Southern. Yes, they are a more formidable cupcake than some, but we should just be able to overpower them. I honestly would kind of love it if we rolled out the Sean and Kam show against Georgia Southern, and saved the Stidham RPO to debut against Clemson. Nothing like giving them no film at all.

41 minutes ago, lionheartkc said:

Honestly, we should be able to keep the peddle down and not show anything we didn't do last year against a team like Georgia Southern. Yes, they are a more formidable cupcake than some, but we should just be able to overpower them. I honestly would kind of love it if we rolled out the Sean and Kam show against Georgia Southern, and saved the Stidham RPO to debut against Clemson. Nothing like giving them no film at all.

Part of this is what scares me.  We should use the first game as a full blown warm-up for Clemson.  We should honestly try to put 60 on them.  However, I am very afraid that our fearful leader will be so worried about what film Clemson has they will only run 40-50% of the offense.  If that is the case then we are not going to win big.  In fact it may even be a close game if he doesn't open the O up all the way.  Give Clemson so much film they are engrossed in the film room for days.  Heck bring back some Wing T formations just to have them in your pocket.

1 minute ago, lkeel75 said:

Part of this is what scares me.  We should use the first game as a full blown warm-up for Clemson.  We should honestly try to put 60 on them.  However, I am very afraid that our fearful leader will be so worried about what film Clemson has they will only run 40-50% of the offense.  If that is the case then we are not going to win big.  In fact it may even be a close game if he doesn't open the O up all the way.  Give Clemson so much film they are engrossed in the film room for days.  Heck bring back some Wing T formations just to have them in your pocket.

I can't say I share your fear.  I think Sean and Kam playing last year's O would have no problem getting 6 or 7 touchdowns against them and, triple-option or not, I don't see our D, who many in the know say is better than last years, giving up more than 1 or 2, when they held far better teams in check last year. We have too much talent on the field to suffer from keeping our playbook close to the vest for this game. It's not like 2016, where we THINK we have a great QB and great backs. We know we have 2 solid QBs and more than 2 great backs, as well as the best wide receiver stable we've had in over a decade.

15 minutes ago, WarDamnEagleWDE said:

image.png

image.jpeg

5bf8e7b2b10a0ec2721247b98c024ee1--captain-america-winter-agents-of-shield.jpg

Archived