Rare footage of 57' championship season

WFE12

Damn I have never seen that video great find. Don't ever call me a old head..................just call me an old fart. lots of memories:cry3:

14 minutes ago, augolf1716 said:

Damn I have never seen that video great find. Don't ever call me a old head..................just call me an old fart. lots of memories:cry3:

Yeah it was pretty cool to brush up on AU history myself. They looked to be pretty dominant then.

11 minutes ago, WFE12 said:

Yeah it was pretty cool to brush up on AU history myself. They looked to be pretty dominant then.

They were believe me

great video....thanks

Some observation:

two way play by a number of players...Phillips for example.

Day games...no lights at AU....games in Columbus, Ga and Birmingham

Quite a bit of offensive substitution ....X and Y units.

Bobby Hoppe.....very strange guy as it turned out....much later in his life he was charged with a murder that took place during his college years.

19 hours ago, AU64 said:

great video....thanks

Some observation:

two way play by a number of players...Phillips for example.

Day games...no lights at AU....games in Columbus, Ga and Birmingham

Quite a bit of offensive substitution ....X and Y units.

Bobby Hoppe.....very strange guy as it turned out....much later in his life he was charged with a murder that took place during his college years.

He was a scary dude

A good read for Auburn folks: "A Matter of Conscience: Redemption of a Hometown Hero" about Bobby Hoppe. Available on amazon. Kinda' omits him making a guy "dance" in front of the Tiger theater by shooting at his feet, as if in a western movie. But a good read nonetheless. That shooting & dancing was before my time at Auburn, but a good friend saw it. Sometimes stuff like that makes me miss the good ol' days. Then there was the Marvin Social Club, but I digress.. :)

About all I recall of my early days at AU was that we spent about half my time at AU on probation and two of our best defensive teams did not make it to bowl games.  i do recall the 1958 team that held U of Tennessee to no first downs and minus 30 yards in total offense.  

I was not in school at AU yet but two of our best all time teams..no TV and no bowl games. ...just the Sunday replays with Carl Stevens and Shug

Kentucky 'Colonels'???? and Miss. State was referred as 'Maroons'....I wondered when they will be called Wildcats and Bulldogs....like the offense...basically the Wing-T... 

1.) I believe my parents were at some of those games, and other family members also. I heard the stories as I was growing up. 

2.) That Red Phillips was a baller!

3.) The kicking game has certainly improved with time

4.) I have never seen this much footage from the '57 team. It's really fun to watch.

11 hours ago, Tigerbelle said:

1.) I believe my parents were at some of those games, and other family members also. I heard the stories as I was growing up. 

2.) That Red Phillips was a baller!

3.) The kicking game has certainly improved with time

4.) I have never seen this much footage from the '57 team. It's really fun to watch.

Same here most I have ever seen. Good memories

My Dad was in school then. He enrolled in 56. Unfortunately, had to drop out in 58 due to lack of funds. He knew most of those guys fairly well. He, and big Ben Preston grew up together.

Thanks for posting.  That defense allowed 28 points in 10 games.  My high school defensive line coach, Jim Jeffrey (#74) was a two way tackle on that team.  The most intimidating guy I ever knew, I saw him chew up a lit cigarette multiple times.  He had every bit of my attention when he spoke, and I would have done anything he told me to.

15 minutes ago, PowerOfDixieland said:

Thanks for posting.  That defense allowed 28 points in 10 games.  My high school defensive line coach, Jim Jeffrey (#74) was a two way tackle on that team.  The most intimidating guy I ever knew, I saw him chew up a lit cigarette multiple times.  He had every bit of my attention when he spoke, and I would have done anything he told me to.

I remember those days I didn't do it I'm not that crazy/tough. I should also say you knew Jim Jeffrey..............WOW amazing he is a legend to some of us older guys. One tough SOB

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

He was such a great teacher of the game...I hung on his every word.

What high school if you don't mind me asking?

Just now, augolf1716 said:

What high school if you don't mind me asking?

Vestavia Hills in Birmingham.  Went to the state finals three years in a row and finally won it in '80 against the Thundering Herd of Parker.  He was also an incredible wrestling coach.

Just now, PowerOfDixieland said:

Vestavia Hills in Birmingham.  Went to the state finals three years in a row and finally won it in '80 against the Thundering Herd of Parker.  He was also an incredible wrestling coach.

I had forgot he was on the wrestling team. Damn we had great wrestling teams back then

Archived