Scouting report: Clemson

WFE12

2 hours ago, DAG said:

Facts vs emotions. Facts win every time. Not to mention, the ACC was arguably the strongest conference last year.

And the ACC might be the best conference this year with 4 very strong teams.  Clemson, Louisville, FSU, and NC State.  All probably top 15 teams at years end this coming year and FSU might be the worst of all those and they are more then likely starting the season at #2.  

4 hours ago, jAUSon said:

Question though: Am I now supposed to believe Clemson is a perrenial powerhouse?

With Boyd and Watson, yeah.  We'll see how it goes with a new QB.

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... We'd have beaten Clemson if we didn't rotate quarterbacks like a Merry-go-round. And this year cousin Clem ought to be at the very best equal in talent if not more likely a little less...

15 hours ago, corchjay said:

And the ACC might be the best conference this year with 4 very strong teams.  Clemson, Louisville, FSU, and NC State.  All probably top 15 teams at years end this coming year and FSU might be the worst of all those and they are more then likely starting the season at #2.  

I think you actually left one out.  Miami is going to have a force on D this year.  Now whether Richt can get them past 10 wins is yet to be seen but many reporters from ACC media days have UM 2nd in ACC

12 hours ago, JBiGGiE said:

If I've said it once, I've said it a hundred times... We'd have beaten Clemson if we didn't rotate quarterbacks like a Merry-go-round. And this year cousin Clem ought to be at the very best equal in talent if not more likely a little less...

I'm sure even CGM was surprised at the defense we put up that night.

Have I missed something with NC State? They had the 9th best record in the ACC last year. They played some teams tough, but ultimately lost more than they won in conference.

On 7/19/2017 at 9:05 AM, ValleyTiger said:

I agree 100%. It's going to be a tough test no doubt. I expect our boys to be ready, but we'll get to face plenty of adversity against Clempson especially along our OL. How those Auburn OL fair up front against their DL will prolly tell the tale of our season. Sure our OL got their asses handed to them week 1 last year and rebounded nicely, but those problems reared their ugly head again and again against good edge rushing teams.

Side note - Why the hell hasn't anyone hired Venables as a HC yet?? Dude is legit amd worked under some damn fine coaches....Snyder, Stoops, and even Deebo.

Venables son is a legit LB in high school committed to Clemson, if not there already. venables will stay at clemson as long as his son is there

On 7/19/2017 at 1:26 PM, AUIH1 said:

I like your facts.  However; you are leaving out Clemson's biggest advantage.....coaching.

wde

Dont be fooled, its the assistants winning games at clemson, not dabo. Problem is, they arent leaving.

I hope Clemson locks him in for life. As previously stated, I'm not quite as convinced he's automatically Saban's replacement as everyone else is.

1 hour ago, Builder said:

Dont be fooled, its the assistants winning games at clemson, not dabo. Problem is, they arent leaving.

Hmmm ... assistants ... hmmmm .... And where are assistant coaches NOT really making a difference? And who will be making a difference at Auburn next season? It is a TEAM sport.

9 hours ago, Builder said:

I don't doubt that, but dabo is the guy who hired them (meaning he is pretty good at recognizing and hiring good assistants) and is letting them coach (meaning he has enough humility and good sense to get out of the way and let those good assistants he hired coach without meddling too much).  

wde

I think we take it to Clemson in a seriously bad way that will have Dabo in tears like the 27-24 loss that had him ready to pitch a  fit on national TV. 

Those two 14 - 1 seasons and back to back NCG appearances were on the shoulders of DeShaun Watson.  They were a good solid team without him but he was the difference maker just like Cam and Nick were the two times we went.  We are a solid team this year just like they will be but it will come down to the QB play and I like our chances.  We have two good experienced guys and they will have a talented rookie.  

Unless it's in a playoff game or bowl game, hopefully this game coming up will be the last time we play Clemson for a long time.

40 minutes ago, auburn4ever said:

Unless it's in a playoff game or bowl game, hopefully this game coming up will be the last time we play Clemson for a long time.

I don't understand this line of thought. I have seen others here say they are tired of playing Clemson. I can see being tired of losing to them but as long as they are a very good to great football team I don't mind playing them at all. We just need to start beating them. 

49 minutes ago, gr82be said:

I don't understand this line of thought. 

A common theme when reading A4E's posts.

On 7/20/2017 at 9:43 PM, Builder said:

I have to give Dabo more credit than that. The past 6 years, he has  put together two 10 win seasons, two 11 win seasons, and two 14 win seasons with national championship appearances. He's had a lot of staff turnover during that time but keeps winning big. When he first took the job, he was way too emotional and rah rah on the sidelines. He's matured in that area, recruits like a fiend, and has built a winning culture with a lot of swag. I would give anything for us to develop that type of culture and consistency in our program. 

12 hours ago, Gowebb11 said:

I have to give Dabo more credit than that. The past 6 years, he has  put together two 10 win seasons, two 11 win seasons, and two 14 win seasons with national championship appearances. He's had a lot of staff turnover during that time but keeps winning big. When he first took the job, he was way too emotional and rah rah on the sidelines. He's matured in that area, recruits like a fiend, and has built a winning culture with a lot of swag. I would give anything for us to develop that type of culture and consistency in our program. 

You might be right. But I dont think theres been alot of turnover. Chad Morris but he reloaded quickly. His assts are very loyal and have stayed in place longer than most. Living in this area most see what a douche dabo has been and continues to be. Recruiting though still amazes me.

On 7/19/2017 at 1:16 PM, ArgoEagle said:

Everyone please listen to these facts, and then tell me why we shouldn't beat Clemson by at least 10-14 points.

Last year Clemson was loaded with NFL talent at all the skilled positions on offense. They had a very talented defense to go along with the O. We ran the most spastic looking offense I have ever seen with the whirly bird, etc. We did not have a proven qb. We had a stud running  back playing fb or hb (whichever, doesn't matter). Imagine if KP had run the ball 25-30 times last year against Clemson. What kind of difference would that have made? Look at the difference in the outlook of our offense this year with JS coming in at qb, and the development of our young wr's. The defense should be as good if not better than last years, which held the same o that scored all those points against Ala. to just 19 points. We only lost the game by 6 points. We have the best fg kicker in America and loads of new talent coming in this year. Why should we not be confident that we should beat Clemson? I have a very good feeling about this game. The only drawback is it is played in Death Valley. That could make some difference. This is not pumping sunshine, it's making a determination from the facts. What do yall think?

Sounds good. However, I think Dabo managed the game very conservatively against us last year based on our offensive ineptitude. I would not base my predictions for this year based on last year's game. Alabama faced a much different game plan from Clemson than we did. 

On 7/19/2017 at 4:44 PM, DAG said:

Facts vs emotions. Facts win every time. Not to mention, the ACC was arguably the strongest conference last year.

This aint your Pappy's ACC anymore. That's for sure. 

2 hours ago, Eagle-1 said:

This aint your Pappy's ACC anymore. That's for sure. 

True the ACC is better and  conferences let them sneak up on them and honestly the SEC has gone down a bit. Take away Deshaun and Lamar then we will see how they go. 

4 hours ago, Builder said:

True the ACC is better and  conferences let them sneak up on them and honestly the SEC has gone down a bit. Take away Deshaun and Lamar then we will see how they go. 

Don't forget FSU, Miami, and NC State. There are many teams in that conference that would be hard to handle on a given day.

Archived