Building formidable offensive line

aubiefifty

seccountry.com

Auburn football building formidable offensive line under Herb Hand's steady guidance

Lauren Shute Posted 16 hours ago

After securing a spot on the All-SEC second team and picking up a few All-American honors, the door to the NFL seemed propped open for Smith at the end of last season. Still, the Kansas native felt he couldn’t pass up another chance to play under Herb Hand.

“Personally he’s made me I feel like, I’ve made a lot more strides,” the senior said at SEC Media Days. “He’s really taught me some things. He’s been a key developer for the offensive line. He was a factor, also.”

Hand is also largely why a switch from right guard to right tackle is less daunting for Smith. And the senior isn’t the only one benefiting from Hand’s guidance — that’s yet another reason Smith wanted to wear orange and blue for one more season.

MORE: From Media Days to new spot, Braden Smith is willing to do whatever Auburn asks in senior season

“Definitely because I knew that there was going to be something special that was going to go on this year,” Smith said. “We have all the pieces. I think we have a chance to compete for titles and championships.”

Auburn coach Gus Malzahn and his Media Days player representatives were vocal about this year’s team being one of the deepest Malzahn has had. That especially applies to the offensive line, where Hand has helped players grow to a point that mixing and matching along the offensive line is possible.

“Our O-line coach Herb Hand, I really like how he’s developed our players and helped me develop,” Smith said. “I think he’s really helped me going forward, and the rest of my teammates as well.”

Auburn led the SEC in rushing offense last season and ended up with a Sugar Bowl berth in January. And it’s not the first time Hand has helped Malzahn’s team find success. Tulsa boasted one of the nation’s best offenses in 2007 and 2008 under the duo.

RELATED: Mike Horton is primed to be Auburn football’s next great offensive lineman 

Of course, Malzahn is expected to love his staff. He again voiced his admiration for what he considers “one of the best staffs in all of college football” last week in Hoover, Ala.”

“Our program’s to that point where this is an important year,” Malzahn said. “We’re excited. We think we’ve got a real chance.”

It doesn’t hurt that Hand helped the Tigers pick up FCS All-American Casey Dunn and Florida State transfer Wilson Bell. The two grad transfers bring signifiant experience and could have an immediate impact for Auburn — especially early in the season.

Hand has the offensive line under control, giving new offensive coordinator Chip Lindsey the ability to focus on coaching his quarterback group and perfecting his new scheme.

Very encouraging piece....sounds like plenty of depth...and quality depth too.....could be a big year for the RBs....

I'm very interested in seeing how the OL performs this year. No question that Hand is an all time great at recruiting OL to come play for him but his abilities to put together a strong and cohesive unit is still in question in my mind. He seems like a really like able and nice guy which allows him to recruit well but i'm afraid that may work against him at game time. Can you be a like-able guy and still instill that mean streak in your players? Its rough in the trenches and you have to want to dominant the guy in front of you or you'll be pushed out of the way all game long. Hope we see a OL group come out in game one and dominant GA So. from the first snap. I want to see that dominating attitude early cause they will need it for Clemson in week 2. 

26 minutes ago, gravejd said:

I'm very interested in seeing how the OL performs this year. No question that Hand is an all time great at recruiting OL to come play for him but his abilities to put together a strong and cohesive unit is still in question in my mind. He seems like a really like able and nice guy which allows him to recruit well but i'm afraid that may work against him at game time. Can you be a like-able guy and still instill that mean streak in your players? Its rough in the trenches and you have to want to dominant the guy in front of you or you'll be pushed out of the way all game long. Hope we see a OL group come out in game one and dominant GA So. from the first snap. I want to see that dominating attitude early cause they will need it for Clemson in week 2. 

I think CRG has proven you can be a nice recruiter and a savage teacher once you sign them!

I could buy into this if it had not been for all the position moving that went on this past spring. It just sends red flags that the staff is not satisfied with our group. We are moving a proven all SEC performer at guard to a new position and  by bringing in the transfers it also seems that are not satisfied with the development or quality of some of the back ups. It is bothersome that we are relying on a  transfer that basically was a part time starter at best, to play guard and that either our depth at center or need to move Golson requires us to bring in another transfer at center. I have concerns about our O line.

2 hours ago, 80Tiger said:

I could buy into this if it had not been for all the position moving that went on this past spring. It just sends red flags that the staff is not satisfied with our group. We are moving a proven all SEC performer at guard to a new position and  by bringing in the transfers it also seems that are not satisfied with the development or quality of some of the back ups. It is bothersome that we are relying on a  transfer that basically was a part time starter at best, to play guard and that either our depth at center or need to move Golson requires us to bring in another transfer at center. I have concerns about our O line.

Can't argue, but I'll mention that Cole Cubelic obsessively studies OLs and he really likes Bell. And sometimes a change of scenery can do wonders for a person. And that's all the sunshine I've got to pump on that.

2 hours ago, homersapien said:

The Clemson game will tell the tale as they will likely be the best defensive line we'll see this year.

I hope we've coalesced by then.  

Only the 2nd game of the season, so not necessarily. A bad second game against a top DL wouldnt necessarily mean much for the rest of the season. A good one however, could mean special things.

We all already know this, but.....

We have a deep and very talented OL. The issue is getting the BEST 5 on the field. And our best OTs are also are best OGs.  Also, we're curious to see how well our boys do in pass pro.  They are road graters!  But can they keep JS clean while he's chucking the deep ball?

I think by next year Ashley, PTega, and even PSammons will be ready to play some SEC OT. Horton and Harrell should be studs at OG in 2018. Our biggest ? is who will play C?

With a QB like Stidham and with TE's who can catch and RB's that can catch out of the backfield you can take some of the pressure off the O-line with quick passes. Pass protection is about how well the O-Line works as a unit but it is also about play calling. To often in last few years we were in 3rd down and obvious passing situations making it more difficult for the O-Line. A good OC can keep D-Line off balance with right play calling.

I would love for Hand to prove to me, he is a great O-line coach this year. Fingers crossed.

On 7/20/2017 at 11:26 AM, 80Tiger said:

I see it more as trying to get the best talent on the field that gives us the best OL. However, at the same time, I see it as potentially overthinking/analyzing things especially with our returning OLinemen. Braden is versatile but under no condition do I agree with moving Golson. I understand Dunn has played in a similar offense and he may be a little better a C than Golson but being just a little better doesn't trump the experience in the SEC Golson has faced every Saturday. That's just one move I don't support if it were to happen.

I didn't care for all the OL movement during spring as well but I understood it b/c we had to see where guys would fit best. I just hope we don't see the same going on too long into fall camp. I think the talent is there...I'm more concerned if Hand is just second guessing himself. Thankfully we get GA Southern first to get some get more information on the OL.

On 7/20/2017 at 10:01 AM, gravejd said:

Agree 100%

Coach Dye opines -

“I really think the 2017 Auburn football team has potentially more talent on the offensive line than any other team the Tigers have had since I came to Auburn in 1981. None of them right now, other than perhaps Braden Smith, are players who are highly known around the country in the college football world. He was an second team All-American last year and is expected to be a third-year starter this season.

Despite lacking all-star status I think his group has unlimited potential when you combine the ones coming back with the transfer from Florida State (Wilson Bell)?and the transfer from Jacksonville State (Casey Dunn) plus getting some back who were injured along with the maturing of young linemen. I think all the pieces are in place.”

http://scout.com/college/auburn/Article/College-Football-Hall-of-Fame-Coach-Pat-Dye-writes-about-the-201-105557336

I really thought Kaleb Kim would rise to the top quicker and become an SEC caliber force at center. Smart kid, physical ability, has stayed away from injury, came out of hs with decent technique. I realize who's in front of him but he's not pushing anybody yet.

58 minutes ago, aucanucktiger said:

I really thought Kaleb Kim would rise to the top quicker and become an SEC caliber force at center. Smart kid, physical ability, has stayed away from injury, came out of hs with decent technique. I realize who's in front of him but he's not pushing anybody yet.

Yeah, I agree.  I really thought he was going to be a force and take over by this year.

Not that we don't have a good center in front of him.  I just really expected him to be pushing for 1st string

35 minutes ago, lkeel75 said:

Yeah, I agree.  I really thought he was going to be a force and take over by this year.

Not that we don't have a good center in front of him.  I just really expected him to be pushing for 1st string

Fall camp just started.  Let's see what a summer under Russell did for the guys. 

We have talent, and some depth. I wish we had two solid, experienced OT's so Smith could move to RG.

I will take whatever we can be successful with, but is perfection too much to ask? :dunno:

Archived