JaTarvious Whitlow question for the board

ellitor

What are your thoughts on JW as a RB for us? He was signed as a WR but has gotten a lot of work at RB since being on campus. He comes in with good size at 6 foot, 216 lbs but does his skill set translate to being an impact RB? His highlights are below for reference. A lot of the plays are runs. I'm specifically looking for input from coaches on the board like @corchjay, @JMR, & @bigbird but gladly welcome all input & opinions. Thanks!

He looks very good in the open field.  It's hard to tell truly what kind of running back he would/will be because getting after a QB you can get out of your lanes trying to apply pressure and with a running back you might sit in your lane to swallow the running back.  If we need the numbers at running back more then safety I'm good with it.  

He's very cocky.  It comes across in his interviews and his video but he is the best player on the field in every game.  

I thought he was more of a safety then WR when we signed him and he's probably a better running back prospect then WR as well.  My thoughts are they possibly offered a chance to move to safety but he didn't like the idea so they said how about running back.  I think he will be the "running back" that goes against the 1st team defense probably with a mix of the 2nd/3rd team offense and get his brains pounded in and then he might be like.... Coach you know that safety thing I think I like hitting more then being hit.

2 minutes ago, corchjay said:

I thought he was more of a safety then WR when we signed him and he's probably a better running back prospect then WR as well.  My thoughts are they possibly offered a chance to move to safety but he didn't like the idea so they said how about running back.  I think he will be the "running back" that goes against the 1st team defense probably with a mix of the 2nd/3rd team offense and get his brains pounded in and then he might be like.... Coach you know that safety thing I think I like hitting more then being hit.

Actually he was 1st looked at as a potential DB last Summer after a camp at AU but was not given a commtitable offer on D. After Chip was hired JW was one of Chip's 1st priorities & went hard after him as an offensive athlete. My understanding is since Chip has been hired the staff has not looked at JW as a potential Safety as of yet.

Just now, ellitor said:

Actually he was 1st looked at as a potential DB last Summer after a camp at AU but was not given a commtitable offer on D. After Chip was hired JW was one of Chip's 1st priorities & went hard after him as an offensive athlete. My understanding is since Chip has been hired the staff has not looked at JW as a potential Safety as of yet.

He's definitely good with the ball in his hands.  With anyone coming from high school I like to see them after some good coaching and a year in the speed/strength program and double that with position changes.  Not saying 2 years but saying it's double important to give them a chance to learn the small things.  He needs a year to build his body.  He's naturally strong and fast but wait til he's a RSFr.  

If he was 6'2" and played at Hoover he'd probably be a QB recruit for some school like Tulsa, Iowa State, Wake Forrest.

He runs too high and carries the ball too loosely.  As Corch said, its really bad D he is going against. Reminds me a bit out of Truitt in that he is more of a slasher type runner, but nowhere as smooth.  He could be dangerous in the swing/screen game, but I can't see him ever being as good as Kam playing that same role.

Main takeaways - yup, that's some pathetic competition. Gonna be a big learning curve, and I worry about him getting the doldrums since he comes off sooo cocky.

I'd hope for his sake, he'd get over any position inclination to let the coaches keep him somewhere to learn. 

3 minutes ago, corchjay said:

He's a thicker/shorter KJ with better stride and balance but not as fast. 

The AU roster page has them at the same height with JW 4 lbs heavier.

The competition in the videos look pretty bad, and he needs to learn how to carry the football closer to his body! Having said that, he is a baller and the best player on the field in every game.

Well, then here poses a new question:  With Auburn's current stable of running backs, and our success continuing to recruit top running backs, do we see this kid transferring out within a year or two like Woody Barrett?  With how cocky he is, I could very well see this happening.  Whitlow is deadset on playing offense and was not going to consider Auburn unless they wanted him on offense.  So if he is deadset, and he sees 5 running backs ahead of him with new RB's coming in every year, then why stay?

IMO only time will tell if he can be a RB at the Div 1 level. With all converted HS QBs the question will be is he ok with contact? He is great in the open field but typically at this level you have to make a couple people miss or break a couple tackles to get in the open field. But if he is the type that speeds up versus slowing down when you see that LB in the hole then he has the speed and size to be a div 1 back

4 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

Well, then here poses a new question:  With Auburn's current stable of running backs, and our success continuing to recruit top running backs, do we see this kid transferring out within a year or two like Woody Barrett?  With how cocky he is, I could very well see this happening.  Whitlow is deadset on playing offense and was not going to consider Auburn unless they wanted him on offense.  So if he is deadset, and he sees 5 running backs ahead of him with new RB's coming in every year, then why stay?

He's cocky but very thankful to have an opportunity at a place like AU.

I have coached rec-ball so does that count?  haha  My opinion is same as bird.  I hate to see kids carrying the ball our like that and it is a horrible habit to break.  Being an ex-QB makes me a bit leery about his reactions to being hit on every play.  You can see his attitude in the highlight video above and that is a concern to me as well.  I get being excited and wound up in the moment and I do believe kids should celebrate.  However they should also take head from the greatest RB ever: "Act like you have been there before.  Act like you are going to be there again." - Barry Sanders

Outside of all that, if this kid can break into the rotation with the stable of RBs\WRs that we already have then more power to him.

26 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I wouldn't compare him to Woody just because he is cocky. What bit Woody in the ass is he was not willing to put the work needed & required. Plenty of athletes are cocky but do or did put in the work relentlessly. Terrell Owens, Michael Irvin, Michael Jordan, & Tom Brady all immediately come to mind. I have not heard anything about JW's work ethic but him being cocky doesn't mean he won't do his work.

Once again, hoping there's not a shoe waiting to drop when fall camp starts.

I remember last year after A-Day WDEWDE cryptically saying something to the effect of "there are other fires." I guess he meant Roc and Jovon leaving/getting kicked off?

His cockiness will subside after Mr. Davidson, Brown, Williams, Davis, Matthews, et al bring the wood during fall camp.

I like him at RB, as I've said a few times since signing him. If Chip wants him on offense, I say he deserves a shot. 

I love seeing a kid do everything for his team. That doesn't mean he'll be a good RB but there's only one way to find out how his skills translate. But it's not like our coaches didn't know what kind of competition he was going up against when they signed him and decided to try him on offense/RB. 

1 hour ago, ellitor said:

I wouldn't compare him to Woody just because he is cocky. What bit Woody in the ass is he was not willing to put the work needed & required. Plenty of athletes are cocky but do or did put in the work relentlessly. Terrell Owens, Michael Irvin, Michael Jordan, & Tom Brady all immediately come to mind. I have not heard anything about JW's work ethic but him being cocky doesn't mean he won't do his work.

I think the point of my question may have been missed.  Cocky was just icing on the cake.  The question was more geared to with all of the running backs ahead of him, and even potentially at WR, would this be enough justification for him to transfer?

We have so many RBs...I guess it couldn't hurt seeing as crazy things happen E.G. Roc and JR. However, I would like to see this kid more in a Pearcy Harvin role, especially since CGM trademark is utilizing two main RBs in his offense. Well, in reality, he likes the primary back to get 70 % of the touches it seems. BTW, this is the epitome of someone who we should use in the wildcat. No more KJ. Not a risk to pass ever.

30 minutes ago, abw0004 said:

I think the point of my question may have been missed.  Cocky was just icing on the cake.  The question was more geared to with all of the running backs ahead of him, and even potentially at WR, would this be enough justification for him to transfer?

With due respect that seems like a strange thing to inquire about before a player even has his first year. Reality is other than a few RBs we truly don't know yet who he is behind or exactly how he fits into the scheme. Seems like it would be best to let at least 1 season play out before jumping the gun on a question like that.

9 minutes ago, ellitor said:

With due respect that seems like a strange thing to inquire about before a player even has his first year. Reality is other than a few RBs we truly don't know yet who he is behind or exactly how he fits into the scheme. Seems like it would be best to let at least 1 season play out before jumping the gun on a question like that.

It was just a question, and I don't think it is all that odd.  We know the capabilities of the 4 returning RB's we have already. Just with his issues highlighted by other people above, I just do not see him being higher than RB #5 this year.  That can push people to transfer.  I mean we have seen players transfer before that were in better shape (Jackson was in line to be a backup DT before he bolted.  Same with Character at DB).  Whether or not the question was on the mark or off, it was just a thought that crossed my head so I wanted to throw it out there for your thoughts.

Archived