Chicago Restaurants?

Barnacle

Wife and I are spending the weekend in Chicago in a few weeks. Sort of a quick getaway before I start back in school. We are getting in around 7 on Friday night, and leaving around 3 on Sunday afternoon. 

So far, all I have booked are the flights, hotel and cubs tix - @ellitor

Anyone around here from Chicago or spent much time in Chicago? There are so many restaurants to choose from. I'd love some recommendations from people who know. We are staying downtown in the Magnificent Mile/Gold Coast area. 

Just some filler until someone who really knows that town responds, but I can vouch for Rick Bayless's food (the Frontera restaurants) and Ken Kee in Chinatown for super authentic, no frills Chinese. So weird that I haven't spent more time in that town. 

Must do's for a true Chicago experience.....

Portillo's (Lunch):  Get the Italian Beef Sandwich and ask for it dipped.  You're welcome.

Giordano's:  Authentic Chicago deep dish.  There's one right on the Mag Mile, so you can walk there.  Give yourself time though.  It takes about 45 minutes for a pizza to bake correctly.  Best bet to avoid a wait is to grab a seat at the bar and eat there or just make reservations ahead of time.

Cubs pre-game:  Murphy's Bleachers (behind center field) for drinks before the game.

I have been to Chicago exactly once. While there, a friend with some knowledge of things directed us to this place: http://volarerestaurant.com/  

It's withing walking distance of Navy Pier. There are some outside tables on the sidewalk from which you can eat and also watch Chicago go past. The weather in August up there is such that outside dining after sunset is very pleasant. At times a recording company will be having an outdoors music fest across the street. We didn't have reservations, just walked up and were seated. The food and service were beyond excellent. Bring money or a good credit card, dinner for four with two bottles of good wine ran over $250 but it was worth every penny.

PS warning: I got a crick in my neck looking at all that tall concrete. Maybe instead of a redneck I was a crickneck for the week? Enjoy, there's a lot to like there especially if you are into blues music.

Links Taproom for...links. I got a chicken link with stout mustard and Dragon's Milk onions that was delicious. But the main reason to go is for their beer list. 

Lagunitas Brewery has a great menu, and you guessed it--beer. 

Three Floyds Brewing is about an hour outside of Chicago with an interesting, fairly eclectic menu. And beer. 

Jimmy's Bar and Grill in Downtown Naperville has some good bar food. And beer. It's also a cool little area to walk around in. Lots of restaurants and shops and a river walk.

Goose Island Clybourne has a good menu. Once again, beer. Also, there's a Binny's behind it that has an amazing selection of liquor and beer. 

If you haven't picked up on my theme yet, well, read harder. 

Archived