2019 5* WR George Pickens Flips to UGA

ellitor

Good news for those concerned about George. He has been wearing Auburn gear around school more lately. But even better he has been recruiting for us. I don't know how many have seen the video of him interviewing Hazelwood but at the end he ask him Auburn or Georgia and Hazelwood says "No Comment". Granted this may be an old video but regardless he is working on him.

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amazing how people question the effort of a high school player in his first game of the season???....do kids take plays off when they know it's going the other way...of course they do....remember they aren't being paid or on scholarship...from what I saw today, #1 in orange is a special player and I hope Auburn can sign him....like the strength with his hands and the effort after he catches the ball...also,where ever he goes, he will have to work and show the coaches he deserves playing time...with the receivers we have along with other schools in the SEC he'll have to do what the coaches want to play....you must earn you're playing time....with that being said...want #1 wearing the Burnt Orange and Navy next season...do the work in the classroom and be a qualifier...

On 8/25/2018 at 1:33 PM, AUpreacherman22 said:

George Pickens =  Duke Williams

Your thoughts?

Covered this before. Unfair & short sited comparison. The only known comparison is flamboyant on the field, which most WRs are. Duke had a long history of off-field issues well before & after AU took him. The only issues I've seen with George is trying to catch up on his grades, which Hoover & AU are helping him with.

On 8/25/2018 at 4:25 PM, McLoofus said:

Yep. Not sure why people are freaking out about a wide receiver playing with attitude.  

I'll take this guy all day long & anyone who can produce like him...

giphy.gif

On 8/25/2018 at 5:04 PM, 80Tiger said:

Continues to wear bama gear to school. Tells kids in school that he knows are AU fans that he is flipping then says “just kidding” . Grades still an issue as you say.

He's playing games publicly. Let him. I don't care as long as he continues to recruit hard for AU which he is & has been doing.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:23 PM, 80Tiger said:

Not what I was saying. What I am saying is that it is going to take work to keep him in the fold. 

And the staff has known that from Day 1 so they as well as Bo & Pappoe have stayed on him. Nothing to frett about.

FWIW there was a recent report saying GP is recruiting Haselwood to AU a lot harder than Haselwood is GP to UGA. Those 2 are tight friends.

On 8/25/2018 at 5:43 PM, ClaytonAU said:

When you run with the big dogs, that tends to happen. 

810958.gif

Big time recruiting is not for the faint of heart.

On 8/25/2018 at 7:53 PM, bg5 said:

Granted this may be an old video

It was Saturday after the double header.

On 8/25/2018 at 9:07 PM, tigerman1186 said:

Amazing how people question the effort of a high school player in his first game of the season???....do kids take plays off when they know it's going the other way...of course they do....remember they aren't being paid or on scholarship...from what I saw today, #1 in orange is a special player and I hope Auburn can sign him....like the strength with his hands and the effort after he catches the ball...also,where ever he goes, he will have to work and show the coaches he deserves playing time...with the receivers we have along with other schools in the SEC he'll have to do what the coaches want to play....you must earn you're playing time....with that being said...want #1 wearing the Burnt Orange and Navy next season...do the work in the classroom and be a qualifier...

To add to this, Rivals just said his relentless competitiveness was a factor in them moving him up to a 5* & the #12 player in the country.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

It was Saturday after the double header.

Yes I found that out later just didn't repost. That's even better I think. I'm sure that is the last thing Ga. wanted to hear. George is definitely loving the process but in the end I think he sticks with us and hopefully with Bo and Popp's help they can get Hazelwood too.

7 hours ago, ellitor said:

I'll take this guy all day long & anyone who can produce like him...

giphy.gif

Good thing that Cam Newton didn't have any cockiness(confidence) would have disgraced our University.  LOL

On 8/27/2018 at 12:17 AM, ellitor said:

Covered this before. Unfair & short sited comparison. The only known comparison is flamboyant on the field, which most WRs are. Duke had a long history of off-field issues well before & after AU took him. The only issues I've seen with George is trying to catch up on his grades, which Hoover & AU are helping him with.

Interesting Responses....

I was as General and vague as possible just to see what people would say.  

In George and Duke, I see two big, physical receivers with a large catch radius and very good hands.  

I see a WR with attitude (which I agree with everyone else that has said that is a good thing)

I’m not even worried about qualifying because he’s at Hoover U.  They will get him qualified.  

The one concern I have with George is I wonder about his work ethic.  I have zero inside knowledge so I don’t have any idea.  The reason I wonder about this is because the grades issue and the taking plays off on occasion are symptoms of a poor work ethic.  (He could have a learning disability and he was struggling with the heat after making a big play last a Saturday for all I know.  That is just as likely as the poor work ethic theory).  The point is, no judgement here! Just taking notes...

On the other hand, Duke did have a work ethic issue.  He also had several off the field issues and attitude issues.  None of which seem to apply to George.  

My hope is that George becomes what we hoped Duke would become or even better!

On 8/27/2018 at 8:17 AM, auburnphan said:

Good thing that Cam Newton didn't have any cockiness(confidence) would have disgraced our University.  LOL

Man I still get goosebumps thinking about that season! It was the first season in a decade where my family had the money to get season tickets...they were very much worth the cost! Cam > Tebow is still a debate I get into all the time down here in Florida.

12 hours ago, AUpreacherman22 said:

Interesting Responses....

I was as General and vague as possible just to see what people would say.  

In George and Duke, I see two big, physical receivers with a large catch radius and very good hands.  

I see a WR with attitude (which I agree with everyone else that has said that is a good thing)

I’m not even worried about qualifying because he’s at Hoover U.  They will get him qualified.  

The one concern I have with George is I wonder about his work ethic.  I have zero inside knowledge so I don’t have any idea.  The reason I wonder about this is because the grades issue and the taking plays off on occasion are symptoms of a poor work ethic.  (He could have a learning disability and he was struggling with the heat after making a big play last a Saturday for all I know.  That is just as likely as the poor work ethic theory).  The point is, no judgement here! Just taking notes...

On the other hand, Duke did have a work ethic issue.  He also had several off the field issues and attitude issues.  None of which seem to apply to George.  

My hope is that George becomes what we hoped Duke would become or even better!

Duke Williams hardly had work ethic issues. He was a warrior on the field. One of the most sure handed guys I’ve seen . His problem was his attitude that burnt bridges. If he had work ethic issues, he wouldn’t be playing professional ball. Jovon Robinson was the one with work ethic issues.

7 minutes ago, DAG said:

Duke Williams hardly had work ethic issues. He was a warrior on the field. One of the most sure handed guys I’ve seen . His problem was his attitude that burnt bridges. If he had work ethic issues, he wouldn’t be playing professional ball. Jovon Robinson was the one with work ethic issues.

I did see Duke loafing a lot in 2015. He had checked out completely at that point. Not sure what he was going through, but dude was in a dark place in his life, obviously. 

2014? He was everything we dreamed of in a receiver and I'm happy to see him doing well in Canada now.

But yeah man, folks need to be careful comparing recruits who have absolutely no reported history of off-field issues with a guy who broke his teammate's jaw and got kicked off the team. Like, you might be making a totally different comparison, but you have to look at the big picture and consider the context. 

Just now, McLoofus said:

I did see Duke loafing a lot in 2015. He had checked out completely at that point. Not sure what he was going through, but dude was in a dark place in his life, obviously. 

2014? He was everything we dreamed of in a receiver and I'm happy to see him doing well in Canada now.

But yeah man, folks need to be careful comparing recruits who have absolutely no reported history of off-field issues with a guy who broke his teammate's jaw and got kicked off the team. Like, you might be making a totally different comparison, but you have to look at the big picture and consider the context. 

Probably pissed off that we sucked in 2015 and he came back to a mess. Not making excuses for it because he always had a bad attitude , but the bottom line is in 2015, the offense sucked because the QB play was bad and the coaching staff didn’t know what to do about it. So, I am sure he was loafing around. T.O. did the same thing to Jeff Garcia when he got pissed at him and felt betrayed by the niners, but he has crazy work ethic. You just don’t get an invite to an NFL team and become a legit receiver in the CFL, if you don’t have good work ethic. You might need an attitude adjustment though.

6 minutes ago, DAG said:

Probably pissed off that we sucked in 2015 and he came back to a mess. Not making excuses for it because he always had a bad attitude , but the bottom line is in 2015, the offense sucked because the QB play was bad and the coaching staff didn’t know what to do about it. So, I am sure he was loafing around. T.O. did the same thing to Jeff Garcia when he got pissed at him and felt betrayed by the niners, but he has crazy work ethic. You just don’t get an invite to an NFL team and become a legit receiver in the CFL, if you don’t have good work ethic. You might need an attitude adjustment though.

Fair points.

Unfortunately for Duke, you don't pull that T.O. stuff in college. You gotta get yourself a contract first!

1 minute ago, McLoofus said:

Fair points.

Unfortunately for Duke, you don't pull that T.O. stuff in college. You gotta get yourself a contract first!

Exactly or you better be an extreme talent like Dez Bryant. He had those issues in college and it has carried over into the NFL. 

48 minutes ago, DAG said:

He might work hard, but I saw him loaf a lot when the ball wasnt coming his way. The Jax St. game was probably the best (or worst) example. There were several plays where he wouldn’t move more than a step or two off the line of scrimmage. He seems to have gotten his mojo back in the CFL, and I hope he gets another NFL shot and take advantage of it. 

3 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

He's diagnosed manic depressive or bipolar, right?

Not sure. I was talking about the others being metabolized by him

16 minutes ago, bigbird said:

Not sure. I was talking about the others being metabolized by him

I might have made up or, more likely, just assumed a chemical imbalance of the on-board variety. 

But I do now remember lots of talk of a really rough childhood. This is a telling snippet:

Williams returned home a few times during his career at Gulf Coast to attend funerals, but was urged to stay away from his hometown as much as possible.

Anyway. Doesn't seem that there's a lot of crossover between Pickens and Williams. 

Archived