2019 5* WR George Pickens Flips to UGA

ellitor

4 hours ago, McLoofus said:

He's diagnosed manic depressive or bipolar, right?

That's what I remember - and I'm not sure, but I thought those two were basically the same thing. 

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 hours ago, Barnacle said:

That's what I remember - and I'm not sure, but I thought those two were basically the same thing. 

Yep, good call. The preferred terminology switched from manic depression to bipolar not too long ago

11 hours ago, bigbird said:

Duke's problems were biochemical

This in my opinion was what hurt QB JJ more than anything.   They became roommates and one influenced the other to the opposite intention.   

2 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

This in my opinion was what hurt QB JJ more than anything.   They became roommates and one influenced the other to the opposite intention.   

Agree.

• 2 weeks later...

Thompson coach compares Auburn commit George Pickens to NFL star Julio Jones

Hoover receiver George Pickens caught a short slant in last season's playoff game against Thompson, made a couple of tacklers miss and raced to a 69-yard touchdown.

Thompson coach Mark Freeman remembers and understands limiting Pickens, a 6-foot-3, 200-pound Auburn commit, will be a big part of Friday's game against the Bucs at the Hoover Met.

"You can't just let him catch the ball on you, because he's so hard to tackle," Freeman said. "You cover him as good as you can and get some help to him when you can. He's just that player, heck, he's as good as I've seen since Julio (Jones) as far as catching the ball and being strong."

Jones, who possessed similar size to Pickens, emerged as a five-star recruit as a receiver and kick returner at Foley in the 2000s before he starred at Alabama and now with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Thompson (2-0) -- the new No. 1 team in the ASWA Class 7A poll and AL.com's Power 25 -- must defend Pickens when the Warriors visit Hoover on Friday in the 7A, Region 3 opener for both schools.

The teams split two games in 2017, with Thompson earning a 32-25 regular-season victory before Hoover won 31-12 in the playoff semifinals.

Most of the skill-position stars from last year's games -- Thompson quarterback and Alabama commit Taulia Tagovailoa, Pickens and Hoover running back Larry McCammon -- are back and will play pivotal roles in tonight's outcome.

"They've got a lot of new faces and we've got a lot of new faces," Hoover coach Josh Niblett said, "but our best players and their best players have the same faces."

Both offenses grab plenty of attention, but both coaches pointed to defense as a key to tonight's game.

"They've got a good mixture on offense," Freeman said. "Anybody who plays them is going to have to be really good on defense to make them work for their points. You better bear down and play good defense to have a chance to beat 'em."

Added Niblett, "We've got to play our best game to give ourselves an opportunity to win."

• 2 weeks later...

I know this is a stretch of an ask, but please only RATIONAL replies to this next question...

Does NCM leaving (link) help or hurt us with GP?  I can see it both ways.  1) Makes things thinner at WR so better chance of coming in to play FR year.  Also part of reason he is leaving is FR are playing so more proof he can play if good enough.  2) If AU can't make an NFL WR out of NCM then why should I risk my future for going there.

Rational thoughts?  

(PS: I just don't want this to get into another "bash the staff" thread whether warranted or not.)

25 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

I know this is a stretch of an ask, but please only RATIONAL replies to this next question...

Does NCM leaving (link) help or hurt us with GP?  I can see it both ways.  1) Makes things thinner at WR so better chance of coming in to play FR year.  Also part of reason he is leaving is FR are playing so more proof he can play if good enough.  2) If AU can't make an NFL WR out of NCM then why should I risk my future for going there.

Rational thoughts?  

(PS: I just don't want this to get into another "bash the staff" thread whether warranted or not.)

Neither helps nor hurts.  Pickens is convinced he can come in and play immediately (and I agree).  Our passing game has got to pick up if we are going to keep him.  The passing game across the state has caught his attention.

16 minutes ago, tinman said:

Neither helps nor hurts.  Pickens is convinced he can come in and play immediately (and I agree).  Our passing game has got to pick up if we are going to keep him.  The passing game across the state has caught his attention.

That is what I am afraid of!

43 minutes ago, LKEEL75 said:

Rational thoughts?  

I cant answer to GPs response, but Im guessing his mind is made up. In general I can see it being used against us on the recruiting trail. Losing several players, including starters on a Top 10 team early in the season is not a great look. 

I really do not see this as being a problem with GP. I think with us developing a more dynamic passing game as the season progresses will have a positive effect on any incoming receivers in the 2019 class.

3 hours ago, tinman said:

Pickens knows Future QB Bo Nix and what is to come.  

14 hours ago, tinman said:

Concur. Roster changes won't affect Pickens's mindset. What led to those roster changes might, though. 

Maybe he thinks that Nix will run a more robust offense under Gus than Stidham currently is. If so, I hope he's right. But I'm not holding my breath. 

11 hours ago, The Plainsman said:

Pickens knows Future QB Bo Nix and what is to come.  

Cannot be stated enough.  All bug recruiting classes revolve around a top QB in the class.

Does he want to catch passes from a Heisman candidate who's uniform will never get dirty during the game, or does he want to roll the dice and catch passes from an unkown guy at a school who's top passing yardage QB played 20 years ago?  Will be interesting to see what he decides.

2 hours ago, oracle79 said:

Does he want to catch passes from a Heisman candidate who's uniform will never get dirty during the game, or does he want to roll the dice and catch passes from an unkown guy at a school who's top passing yardage QB played 20 years ago?  Will be interesting to see what he decides.

He certainly likes Auburn better. I guess this depends on how bad he needs a Dodge Charger or a set of $900 wheels. Not everybody sells out so maybe Pickens won't.

I didn't realize Jeff Klein had that many yards. Cool.

? , really?!

13 minutes ago, The Plainsman said:

Well considering he is committed to AU currently,  the answer preceeds the question deeming not necessary.  IMO. 

Ruben Foster got a tattoo.

The question might not be "necessary" but it's valid until we get the fax.

17 hours ago, McLoofus said:

I'll bite. What's wrong with @oracle79's question?

At face value nothing really. I could argue in favor of Auburn but I can’t say that we have a better sales pitch, objectively.

We don’t have a Calvin Ashley or Julio Jones in the NFL right now to point to and Tua has obviously shown more than anyone we have behind Stidham.

Pickens is a big personality kid that will need to be continually wowed. If I had to build a case against Alabama I would look at our young receivers getting more chances, he knows he can connect with Bo, and Tua likely won’t be at Alabama past next year.

Plus our campus, fans, and education are all superior to turd town. 

5 minutes ago, McLoofus said:

Ruben Foster got a tattoo.

The question might not be "necessary" but it's valid until we get the fax.

Don’t remind me of Mr. Buidne$$ decision. He betrayed so many people and honestly would have gotten a lot more playing time here. 

Who knows, maybe he would have developed better as a young man too.

Archived